Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Rolex tires for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hoosier Rolex tires for HPDE?

Wondering if anyone has run the Hoosier Grand Am Rolex Series GT tires on track?

How are they for performance and wear and tear?
Any ideas about them compared to the R6?

I can get these at a pretty good price and was thinking about trying them.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

ther Rolex tires are like the Hoosier VRL tires. They are harder then the R6s as these are endurance tires.
Grip is less then the R6
wear is longer.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Talking with a guy named Bob?

I just bought some, they will be here tomorrow or Wed.

I am looking forward to running them, and seeing how they are..

Adam
Old 05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Adam, New or scrubs? I'm talking new, direct from Hoosier.

Tom, Ok that was the impression I got. Now when we say harder endurance tire though. Like 1/2 the grip of an R6 and 2x the wear? Or just a little less grip and a little better wear? I'm trying to get an idea of how much difference for DE weekends. Let's say for example on VIR Full. 1-2 seconds slower than an R6? Think I can get 4 weekends out of them?

Since the weather is getting a bit hotter and it looks like I'll run in 90deg days wouldn't the harder compound be more appropriate?

I've never run Hoosiers before guys so I'm pretty ignorant as to what to expect from them. I'm moving up from Nitto R2s. I still have GY Supercars on my other rims for my 2nd set of track tires.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

About 2 secs a lap slower then Rs and I get 3 weekends out of set of VRLs scrubs.

New tires you should get one great weekend and three more good weekends.

The VRLs take low pressure too. 30 front and 29 rear.

I am guessing the Grand Am tires are about the same.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am getting scrubs....

PM Sent...

Adam
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Thanks Tom! That was the type of info I was looking for. I can live with 4 weekends as long as the edges don't cord. I'll plan on flipping them across the rims after 2 weekends.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The VRLs take low pressure too. 30 front and 29 rear.
Ok so I ordered the tires. I'm going to do an initial heat cycle at the track and then put them aside until the 2nd day.

So I'm on VIR Full to try these out and some R6s. Do I start the R6s cold also this low? I was thinking 34/32 on the R6. Then check pressures on both sets and plan on being at 40/38 when hot. Sound reasonable?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Ok so I ordered the tires. I'm going to do an initial heat cycle at the track and then put them aside until the 2nd day.

So I'm on VIR Full to try these out and some R6s. Do I start the R6s cold also this low? I was thinking 34/32 on the R6. Then check pressures on both sets and plan on being at 40/38 when hot. Sound reasonable?
The Hoosier web site says that is right for R6s. But when you talk to the Hoosier Vette expert he says much less.

Too me anthing above 36 hot is tooo slippery. I like 34-32 hot, which is 30-29 cold.

Some guys with the R6s start 22f 18r for NEW R6s. You will get differnt opnions on this one.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Adam, New or scrubs? I'm talking new, direct from Hoosier.

Tom, Ok that was the impression I got. Now when we say harder endurance tire though. Like 1/2 the grip of an R6 and 2x the wear? Or just a little less grip and a little better wear? I'm trying to get an idea of how much difference for DE weekends. Let's say for example on VIR Full. 1-2 seconds slower than an R6? Think I can get 4 weekends out of them?

Since the weather is getting a bit hotter and it looks like I'll run in 90deg days wouldn't the harder compound be more appropriate?

I've never run Hoosiers before guys so I'm pretty ignorant as to what to expect from them. I'm moving up from Nitto R2s. I still have GY Supercars on my other rims for my 2nd set of track tires.
I picked up 4 seconds at VIR when I switched to Kumho (scuffs) from the Hoosier VRL slicks (Also scuffs)
Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

vms4evr,

Just wanted to give you a bit of quick feedback on my trackweekend with the Hoosier slicks I bought new on Ebay (from The Track Store in TX).

They are the discountined Rolex DP50 tires. The DP60 tires are still being sold by Hoosier itself right ahnd side of the screen "Road Racing" then "Discontinued"-fifth item down--the top item on the drop down menu. Mine are the 25.5x11.5R18's (equivalent to 305/30's) DP50's the look like the softer compound of the two available (please see on the right hand side "Road Racing" then "Specs" the notation under the first listing showing "softer" --"firmer")

I had them at Road Am. last weekend and ran 9.5 thirty minute sessions on them and was very pleased with the way they handled. The weather was mild but not hot--maybe about 65F if I remember right.

I have R6's on the front and noticed that the Hoosier's felt physically felt softer and picked up more pebbles and such from the street.

PS the half session was due to my engine cutting out going into turn one (found a disconnected evap thingy--thanks Joel for finding that). So I didn't give the tires the full 10 sessions test! LOL But I did give myself a flippin' heart attack though--thought I killed my poor car.

Good luck with you purchase and let us know how you like 'em!

Anita

Last edited by Z06 Whisperer; 05-17-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Code Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
...PS the half session was due to my engine cutting out going into turn one (found a disconnected evap thingy--thanks Joel for finding that)...
Anita
Alright, nobody move or the black guy gets it...(bonus points for naming that movie) I'm jacking this thread! (unless i'm completely ignored...then never mind)

I wish I could (only) count on one hand how many 1/2 sessions I've had @ RA for sh_t happening!

like April 06' when I'm in the limp mode barely making up pit lane in my C6Z06 with less then 1,500 miles on it. Just a coil pack connection coming loose but not a good feeling for the 1st event in the new car.

or this April when I melted my caliper pistons to the bent backing plates of the POS pads I was using. pumping the pedal and pissing SRF on the rotors from T5 all the way around the track and back to the paddock...it just pissed my off.

or mid day on Sunday in 02' when I took my C5 flying sideways over the gators exiting T7 (you know the down hill exit) breaking a front fender wasn't too bad after wondering if I was really going to roll a C5 all the way down to T6. (just before it started sleeting)

or my rookie year in 01' when they sent the A group out to scrub the winter off of the track after the fog lifted...my 1st pea gravel experience @ Canada Corner.

or in 04' when Lou G was there (thanks for the hot laps Lou!) and my tie rod bolt came off exiting T3. (got some great video of what a tow truck looks like out the windsheild) Thanks to Lou's son for giving me the tie rod nut off of his C5 that he had crashed earlier in the day.

there are a few more but...now we return you to your regularly schedule thread...something about Hoosiers GAC scrubs vs. R6's...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Tom, I'll try a slightly higher pressure, mark the tires, and see how close I'm coming to the edge of them. I keep on hearing too many complaints about Hoosiers cording the outside edges. Hoosier also says their tires are harder to drive on and that dropping pressure to get that "grippy feel" back can lead to cording. So I'll play it safe and bleed a bit off each session.

Matt, 4 seconds on scrubs between Kumho and Hoosier. Interesting. My only concern comparing scrubs is that if you aren't the one who scrubbed them. You don't know how hard the tire was abused before you go it. I'm going from worn out Nitto R2s to the Hoosiers. I'm hoping to gain 4 seconds in the right direction

Anita, Doesn't sound too bad to me. VIR is apparently not as hard on tires as Road America. And my next visit is to Roebling Road. With their new pavement I couldn't hardly see any wear when I was down there in March. So I might get some decent wear out of these if I don't cord the edges. I'll report back in a couple of weeks on them. The event is Memorial Day weekend.

Code Z, Blazing Saddles. Here you go back at ya. This is my thread. There are many like it but this one is mine. My thread is my best friend. Without me, my thread is useless. Go get your own
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Tom, I'll try a slightly higher pressure, mark the tires, and see how close I'm coming to the edge of them. I keep on hearing too many complaints about Hoosiers cording the outside edges. Hoosier also says their tires are harder to drive on and that dropping pressure to get that "grippy feel" back can lead to cording. So I'll play it safe and bleed a bit off each session.

That is the best thing you can do without recording lap times, tire temps and pressures. and just watch how they feel in the corners.

I use T#2 exit speed as my indicator for proper tire pressure. This not exact, But when I get the pressure right I can go though T1-2 combo much faster.

Hoosiers love negative camber
Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

That is the best thing you can do without recording lap times, tire temps and pressures. and just watch how they feel in the corners.

I use T#2 exit speed as my indicator for proper tire pressure. This not exact, But when I get the pressure right I can go though T1-2 combo much faster.

Hoosiers love negative camber
I don't have data acquisition so a camcorder is my feedback and lap timer. Only drawback in an HPDE is getting clean laps. I'll try and get my lazy butt into the front of grid for my session so I can get settled in and get a few clean laps.

My buddy has a probe type pyrometer. I'm trying to talk him into sitting behind the wall in hot grid so I can pull in and get the readings quickly. I'm sure that will cost me a few beers

I got a couple of guys to help me with my entry on T1 as it was killing me getting it right. I have a much better handle on it now. 1st time I hit it right I came through T2 so much faster I almost missed T3. Thought I was going to be on the way to the tech shed via the grass..

I'm at -2.0 camber in front and maxed at -1.4 in the rear. Don't dare go more since it is also my street car for now. So I'll have to live with more tire pressure than you might run just so I don't cord the edges. I bought all 4 tires the same size so I can rotate front/back and left/right. Should help even out the wear and I like the feel with equal sizes on all 4 corners.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by Code Z
Alright, nobody move or the black guy gets it...(bonus points for naming that movie) I'm jacking this thread! (unless i'm completely ignored...then never mind)

I wish I could (only) count on one hand how many 1/2 sessions I've had @ RA for sh_t happening!

like April 06' when I'm in the limp mode barely making up pit lane in my C6Z06 with less then 1,500 miles on it. Just a coil pack connection coming loose but not a good feeling for the 1st event in the new car.

or this April when I melted my caliper pistons to the bent backing plates of the POS pads I was using. pumping the pedal and pissing SRF on the rotors from T5 all the way around the track and back to the paddock...it just pissed my off.

or mid day on Sunday in 02' when I took my C5 flying sideways over the gators exiting T7 (you know the down hill exit) breaking a front fender wasn't too bad after wondering if I was really going to roll a C5 all the way down to T6. (just before it started sleeting)

or my rookie year in 01' when they sent the A group out to scrub the winter off of the track after the fog lifted...my 1st pea gravel experience @ Canada Corner.

or in 04' when Lou G was there (thanks for the hot laps Lou!) and my tie rod bolt came off exiting T3. (got some great video of what a tow truck looks like out the windsheild) Thanks to Lou's son for giving me the tie rod nut off of his C5 that he had crashed earlier in the day.

there are a few more but...now we return you to your regularly schedule thread...something about Hoosiers GAC scrubs vs. R6's...
Code Z,
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply last night but my alloted computer time was like 10 minutes and I had to spend it all fixing the ten million mistakes in my post! LOL

I have to say you sound like you've really been through it there!! I like hearing about what happens to other folks (not as a laugh I promise LOL) because you can sometimes see what you may be in for down the line.

This last event for the Vette crew at the PCA Milwaukee event was a good one--whew! The nuttiest thing I remember from that event was the wildlife issue. This crazy pigeon would keep standing or landing or walking or swooping down from the bridge right as you go into the carosel. Well near the end of the day I see the debris flag out at T8--I looking all over the track--is oil, dirt, coolant, what? You can guess what it turned out to be. Yep, poor Mr. Pigeon. Oh yeah and then the P car sunroof cover that suddenly appeared on the track. I won't even tell you what I did to that! LOL And no it wasn't me who hit the pigeon.

So see I can tell the stories too!! I've got a few ones that make me really grouchy too, but I'll save those for later!!

And here's an oh so important bargain hunters tip: In the giftshop, for those of you into collecting pins from events gone by at RA, they have this small tub of discountinued ones that are .25 each!!

Much better luck to you in the future!!

Anita
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
Code Z,
Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply last night but my alloted computer time was like 10 minutes and I had to spend it all fixing the ten million mistakes in my post! LOL

I have to say you sound like you've really been through it there!! I like hearing about what happens to other folks (not as a laugh I promise LOL) because you can sometimes see what you may be in for down the line.

This last event for the Vette crew at the PCA Milwaukee event was a good one--whew! The nuttiest thing I remember from that event was the wildlife issue. This crazy pigeon would keep standing or landing or walking or swooping down from the bridge right as you go into the carosel. Well near the end of the day I see the debris flag out at T8--I looking all over the track--is oil, dirt, coolant, what? You can guess what it turned out to be. Yep, poor Mr. Pigeon. Oh yeah and then the P car sunroof cover that suddenly appeared on the track. I won't even tell you what I did to that! LOL And no it wasn't me who hit the pigeon.

So see I can tell the stories too!! I've got a few ones that make me really grouchy too, but I'll save those for later!!

And here's an oh so important bargain hunters tip: In the giftshop, for those of you into collecting pins from events gone by at RA, they have this small tub of discountinued ones that are .25 each!!

Much better luck to you in the future!!

Anita

Anita,
Code Z is me...it's my out-of-town laptop user id. Anyway, yes if you push the envelope long enough, suff happens. I've got about 1,200 miles logged at RA since 01'.

There is just something about the place that invokes the bench racer gene. Maybe it has something to do with all of the history of the place and all of the driver's that have run on the very same track.

You know you can't very well stand in the shadows of history at Yankee Stadium and take cuts at fastballs but we get to put our foot to the floor in the same place Briggs Cunningham, AJ, Mario, Phill Hill, and so many other legends have.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Rolex tires for HPDE?

Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5

There is just something about the place that invokes the bench racer gene. Maybe it has something to do with all of the history of the place and all of the driver's that have run on the very same track.

You know you can't very well stand in the shadows of history at Yankee Stadium and take cuts at fastballs but we get to put our foot to the floor in the same place Briggs Cunningham, AJ, Mario, Phill Hill, and so many other legends have.

Drive though the gates and up to the paddock. Stop your car or truck and just step out into history. You can just feel the history.

Ohhhhhh its good to be a track junki
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Drive though the gates and up to the paddock. Stop your car or truck and just step out into history. You can just feel the history.

Ohhhhhh its good to be a track junki
You have to go through the new tunnel now...but yes a place to soak up the history...even with the new changes, it's become a part of the deal, for those of us who were there when the paddock was just grass and the guard rails were all painted that light green you may find on a 62' T-bird, or when pit road had the car ports, or when T&S was on the inside of the track, etc.,etc.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Code Z
Blazing saddles. And that's not the exact line from the movie...

Quick Reply: Hoosier Rolex tires for HPDE?