Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS install LG Coilovers and Wilwood BBK

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default ECS install LG Coilovers and Wilwood BBK

ECS installed them on my car over a month ago, but I did not want to make any comments until I had some track days on the car.

ECS did the total install of the brakes and the Coilovers in 1 day.

First I will talk about the track which is what this setup is designed for. First track day was Limerock. It was cold in April at Limerock and the Kumhos tires took some time to warm up, but the car handled great and the brakes never gave me any concern.

The Wilwood brakes SL6 front and SL4 rear were consistent all day. No fade and the harder you pushed the car the more the Wilwood BBK with Wilwood H pads would stop the car. There was no pull from side to side and hitting the brakes later and later into the braking zone gave me more and more confidence that these brakes were always going to be there when you needed them (BTW the brake pad measured .64 new and after LRP it measures .62 these will last a long time).

Now onto the Coilovers. The car is about 1+ inches lower to the ground and it handles like a go-cart. Just point the car where you want to go and the car goes there. Decide in the middle of a turn to hit a different point the car goes right to that spot. I pushed the car further and further and never once did the car feel like it was going to break lose.

In the afternoon I took my father out. His comment “I can’t believe the car can go around a turn that fast without losing control” and I was taking it easy with him not going faster than 135 on the front straight.

Next Stop Watkins Glen. This is my favorite track so far and I really wanted to push the car here. I have to admit though after the first day I was disappointed in myself. The track was repaved and I really felt that I was fighting the car the whole day. Nothing felt like it use to. I was not sure if it was me, the new setup or the new pavement or a combination of all 3. Luckily I had a friend follow and video tape me so I could see what I was doing. I found out quickly I was hitting the brakes too early and trail braking just wasn’t working the same way it use to with the new setup.

The next day I was determine to fix my problems. Instead of braking at the 600 mark I would brake at the 300. Instead of trail braking I was going to throw out the anchor, take my foot off the brake and then make my turn.

I think the combination of being hesitant the first day along with the new setup made me not smooth and that is something I am not use to. To me the Wilwood setup did not like trail braking like the stock setup and the new suspension was just not happy with my jerking it around. Once I figured that out though what a huge difference. The car just went around the track with no issues. Hit the brakes hard they were there to slow the car down (we have not measured the usage at WGI, but will before I hit Pocono later this month). Turn in and the suspension held without any issues. There was no body roll. This is now one racing machine.

I will be measuring the usage from WGI this week so I can give feedback then. We are also taking a oil sampling from 3 track days and 1 street day from my car to see how well the mobil 1 oil is holding up under track conditions so look for that feedback too.

Bob

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-14-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what rate springs on the LGM coilovers? When is the next event for ECS crew? Sounds great! Who is testing the oil?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what rate springs on the LGM coilovers? When is the next event for ECS crew? Sounds great! Who is testing the oil?
1. LG or Doug has to answer that

2. Pocono - Memorial Day Doug and I will be there, then I think it is VIR

3. Blackstone Labs
Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

When are you guys going to VIR - which club HPDE event?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
When are you guys going to VIR - which club HPDE event?
July 2nd and 4th with Corvette Museum

Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
1. LG or Doug has to answer that

Bob your the sales manager! Just trying to compare to a freinds car with LG coil-overs

2. Pocono - Memorial Day Doug and I will be there, then I think it is VIR

Trying to make it registered but pet problems may preclude it, may preclude entire season.

3. Blackstone Labs

That is who did mine it should be interesting so post results when you get them to compare with mine and others. Need to track oil you added also but you probably know that anyway.

Hope to see you guys soon.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some penske coilovers from MTI. 700-750 lb springs. I find the car does great like you said if you drop the anchor and then get back on the throttle to plant the rear end and use the gas to help stablize the car and/or steer through the corner. The upgrade in suspension took this from a so so track car to an absolute machine. Like your father, people who ride with me are amazed at the grip, flatness and control the car has. It's amazing.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
700 front
600 rear
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz1
I have some penske coilovers from MTI. 700-750 lb springs. I find the car does great like you said if you drop the anchor and then get back on the throttle to plant the rear end and use the gas to help stablize the car and/or steer through the corner. The upgrade in suspension took this from a so so track car to an absolute machine. Like your father, people who ride with me are amazed at the grip, flatness and control the car has. It's amazing.
I have always found stock C5s corner best this way. Even the chassis designer says not to trail brake a C5 or C6.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To ECS install LG Coilovers and Wilwood BBK

Quick Reply: ECS install LG Coilovers and Wilwood BBK