Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slip? or tire slip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch slip? or tire slip?

How can you tell if your clutch is slipping?

Long story short, I think I was experiencing slight tire spin due to running crappy run flats AND CMP being very sandy today. At two specific locations at the track, it seemed as though I was experiencing modulated power loss/gain in straight line acceleration between 4-5.5k rpm WOT. This was in my 4th run session today after I corded my front tires and had to go to crappy run flat stockers to finish out the day. No odd increase in RPM...this was a very slight sensation occurring at the same places on the track. I just want to ensure the clutch wasnt slipping. Thoughts?

Again, I think it was just a combo of peak power, crappy tires, and a sandy track.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

IMO it's tire spin.

2 reasons: one, it's only a 500 rpm change, and second, it happens only at one spot on the track.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Was your TC and AH on or off. They could cause power loss.

I read somewhere that one way to tell tire slippage from clutch slippage is if you feel the vehicle slow while accelerating in the higher gears. I recently bought a 99 FRC with about 37K miles and I think the original clutch and notice a slight slowing when I shift in higher gears. I suspect it is time for a clutch change.

Since the runflats can cause some slippage because of the stiff sidewalls I would see what happens when you switch back to regular tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch slip? or tire slip?

Quick Reply: Clutch slip? or tire slip?