Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 In-Car Camera Mount Info/Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 AM
corvette49rdave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 In-Car Camera Mount Info/Wanted

I am very interested in getting a camera system/mount for my C4 which I can use for Autocross and HPDEs...Don't want to install a roll-bar/cage, where many camera mounts are positioned...Also, don't want to spend tons to get 'er done...Any ideas or sources would be appreciated!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

Most of the harness bars have a camera mount. Cheaper than a roll cage but sure not free. Pretty easy to put in and take out with no permanent marks / holes. RD, Hardbar, etc carry them.

Sometimes you can find a used one on the forum for sale.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JWT has it right ... most harness bars will have some sort of accomodation for a camera. I think most would say a good harness bar & harnesses are req'd for even a casual weekend warrior.

Keep an eye out for used ones for sale. If not, call Gary @ Hardbar as he will be able to set you up with a bar, mount & harnesses. All good stuff too.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
brenb
Instructor

This place has a nice kit if you already have a camcorder. Hoyttech.com
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This company has some suction-cup mounts that are very stable: http://www.chasecam.com/mounts/

I would also suggest considering a harness bar and a 5-point harness. The harness bar from R-D Racing is not that expensive and it's easy to install. They have a G-Force belt package that uses the factory belt mounting holes.

As mentioned, there are other makes out there (Hardbar is also a very good system) and you could find used ones. Put a WTB in the C4 PArts For Sale section to see if you can find one.

Using a harness for both autocross and track days helps you stay planted in the seat. That way you use your arm strength for steering and not to work on holding your upper body in place. The first track day I did without a harness made my arms very tired. After I installed my R-D harness setup, I was more comfortable in the car and my arms didn't hurt.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

I am using the chasecam.com mount and it worked very well. I have the SM30, it screws right into the bottem of my digital video camera, in the tripod mount. Very nice. It will not stick on the rear window do to the defrost lines. I had to stick it to the plastic roof. It's a very good quality mount.

Here is some video from Road America, opening weekend this year.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05903045&hl=en

It looks better if you download it and run it in full screen.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

One more....

http://www.stickypod.com/osc/product...bec9da07d4ff14
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I fab'd this out of aluminum tubing and plate. It's light, and installs in seconds. The camera angle lets me record not only what's happening out the windshield, but also the tach display and gear shifting. (I use the camera bottom side set screw to locate the camera, and a clamp bracket over the camera for secure attachment.)
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
corvette49rdave
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69427

I fab'd this out of aluminum tubing and plate. It's light, and installs in seconds. The camera angle lets me record not only what's happening out the windshield, but also the tach display and gear shifting. (I use the camera bottom side set screw to locate the camera, and a clamp bracket over the camera for secure attachment.)
Wow that looks like a great idea.... PM Sent....
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Fast_Toys
Racer

Default Pfyc.com

Check out the PFYC.COM Bullet camera packages and suction cup camera mounts. They can be used in the car or outside of the car with no permanent mounting holds.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Nice work!

If I didn't already got a harness bar ready for a mount I'd try it.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM
2HorsePower
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tintin

If you don't go with a harness bar type camera set-up, I recommend the sticky pod. We have used one for a couple years and it holds like you wouldn't believe. We usually mount it to the underside of the hatch glass, but have even mounted it to the outside of the car for autocross and it held great. The only downside is that we have to rotate our video 180 degrees since the camera is mounted upside down on the hatch glass.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2HorsePower
If you don't go with a harness bar type camera set-up, I recommend the sticky pod. We have used one for a couple years and it holds like you wouldn't believe. We usually mount it to the underside of the hatch glass, but have even mounted it to the outside of the car for autocross and it held great. The only downside is that we have to rotate our video 180 degrees since the camera is mounted upside down on the hatch glass.
Mine to, what are you using to rotate the video right side up? I used the movie maker that comes with XP, and it is OK. I wouldn't mind using some that saved at a higher quality though.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
2HorsePower
Instructor

We use Windows Movie Maker, too. We mirror the video horizontally, and then vertically to get it right side up. Check your software settings for video quality options.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Interesting, I hadn't thought to try that. I did try mirror horizontal and that made the turns backwards. What I did was was add in flip 90° and then flip 90° again, since the flip 180° didn't seem to work. I tried every option for saving quality, none were as good as the original file. My video was one gig and movie maker would save it to one hundred meg.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
corvette49rdave
Instructor

Default Thanks 69427...

...For the GREAT idea! I had the chief engineer at my work help me fab this mount today out of some steel stock and plate...

...Upon testing out this setup, I realize that I will need some better vibration dampening under the camera, as I got too much shaking...I'm sure I can find something that will work. Thanks again Mike!

Last edited by corvette49rdave; 06-05-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Nice looking piece there. I must have just lucked out, as I haven't had any vibration issues with mine. Don't know if the difference in materials is a factor or not. (I'm a double E, not an ME) Let us know what you end up doing to resolve the issue.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Intresting and very creative!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 In-Car Camera Mount Info/Wanted

Quick Reply: C4 In-Car Camera Mount Info/Wanted