Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs/traction control problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default abs/traction control problem

Posted the following in the tech section with no replies to this point:

28-TCS C1255

Looked it up and it translates to:
Internal malfunction

A couple days ago when I drove my car ('99 FRC w/27k miles) the ABS and Traction control lights came on and stayed on so I pulled the above code. I can lock up the brakes and it appears as though traction control is permanently on (cannot spin rear tires). I checked all wires on the hubs for the wheel speed sensors and checked all grounds and plugs and the ABS fuses as well. I am thinking the EBTCM is the problem. Called absfixer.com and they said they generally fix the C1214 code when they replace/repair the modules. They also told me that if I have the earlier, rectangular shaped module that they cannot repair it. Mine looks like the earlier one although I have not removed it yet. I am thinking I may have to purchase a new one if available. Has anyone else had this problem? I searched and didn't find much with the C1255 code, but lots with the C1214 code. Any thoughts and info is much appreciated.

thanks,
-V
Old 05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have Earl's SS brake lines? If so, that's the problem. Change them to the Goodridge.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Everything is stock. Why would earls lines cause any issues?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It looks like the EBTCM is toast. However, the diagnostic says to check remove the EBTCM and double check the connectors on the unit to see if there are any connection issues before replacing the unit. While doing that I would check the rest of the wiring and grounds just to cover any other items that could cause the error.

Bill
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any friends with a like year maybe they'd be willing to swap EBTCM's for 30 minutes just to see if that's the issue?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

check your ground points. do a search on grounds on the C5, this can cause the issues you are seeing.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

When I remove it to double check that I have the old one I will check all connections that I haven't already.
Unfortunately I don't know of anyone with a similar car. I do have a parts discount through a friends shop, but I am still looking at near $500. I located the following on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...spagenameZWDVW

They say its new and has 1yr warranty, but I am a bit hesitant to buy off ebay. Not sure why absifxer cannot repair the ones like I have, but that would have been the ideal solution. I thought about converting, but I would bet I need the entire abs unit, hydraulic junction, motor, etc. Any thoughts?

thanks,
-V
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trackboss
Everything is stock. Why would earls lines cause any issues?
The Earl's SS lines had/have a compatibility problem on some vettes. It has something to do with the inside diameter of the hose and the EBCM not wanting to work together. It wouldn't set a single code on the street (any speed, any time), but as soon as I got on track, ABS codes! There is a GM bulletin out about some SS lines causing this problem. Once I swapped those lines out, I've had no issues. Problem solved.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Rubber lines are always better with ABS.

If you reset the code, then immediately shut down the traction control system, can you then spin the tires?? I've never heard of the system shutting down, but still limiting power.

If you Ebay vendor has good feedback, I'd try it. I use ebay a lot, even though we're not supposed to talk about it on the forum.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You should also check with Gene Culley to see what he can do on price.

Bill
Old 05-28-2007, 05:16 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Anyone have any suggestions on removing the module? I removed the four torx screws, but noticed there is a stud on the bottom that must be loosened and a similar stud on the other side. From what I see it appears as though the whole abs unit must be loosened at the studs and lifted up enough to clear them, then the module can be removed. Its very tight in there and the hard lines to the abs unit don't offer a lot of wiggle room. Any suggestions?
thanks,
-V
Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

It seems as though I am the only one that has had a problem with a pre-'01 style module. I have called several rebuilders of these components and the only one that told me they could fix it is:
http://www.ebcmdirect.com/index.asp
I wondering if they are just assuming it is the same as the newer units. Anyone else have suggestions?

-V
Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 PM
dmiz0420
Racer

you aren't alone brother

I've been tracing the problem on my 97 for 8 months!

It was one wheel speed sensor then the other then all four of the harness connectors have been replaced and wires soldered (definately not a loose connection there any more) Really it might have been none of those.

After 1 month of no codes the thing took a $h!T and is throwing the c1255 code.

Thanks for your post and everyone's answers.

I'm just going to look at the ground before I buy a new one.

Anyone know where the ground is for the EBTCM?

Did replacing the EBTCM work?

Earls Brake lines JEEZ WHIZ what'll it be next?!?! I got mine from tire rack. Rubber lines are better

LOL All I know is I had the ss brake lines on for over a year and a half before my EBTCM/TCS/ABS started to crap.

BILL CURLEE Where Are You??
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Great to hear I'm not all alone. I am still planning on sending the unit out to the place above for repair. I just have not had time to remove it and if anyone has any tips on removal that would be great. Be assured that once I do find a solution I will post here to help out anyone else.

-V

Get notified of new replies

To abs/traction control problem

Quick Reply: abs/traction control problem