Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z06 Pads on C6 Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5Z06 Pads on C6 Z51?

From what I've read on this forum, the C5Z brake pads seem like a very good choice for the first few HPDEs. I believe that I've also read that the C6 Z51 brake calipers are the same as the C5 Z06 calipers. If this last presumption is correct, I would think that the C5Z pads would work very well for the C6 Z51. Has anyone used the C5Z pads on a C6?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

The pads are indeed interchangeable. The C6 Z51 calipers are just moved out on a 'Z51' bracket to clear the bigger rotors. As for the C5Z pads, they are probably OK for a few DEs on street tires, but go more aggressive if you are running R compound tires. I have yet to find a true dual-purpose pad. They either are quiet or they work on the track, not both. I switch out pads on my street tire equipped C6Z51 car whenever I take it to the track.

Remember, fresh brake fluid is your friend.

-Aaron
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

do you run on the stock c6z51 rotors? just curious
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes and they work great. They can turn the ABS on. I get 6-8 events out of a set with street tires.

Also, the PFC Z Rated pads are once again available and at a reasonable cost I might add. When they were not available they got real expensive ...lol. Now they are back to where they belong.

Buy them here and be sure to mention Rex on the comments if you want to keep the availability at $100.

PFC 0731.10 and PFC 0732.10

You will need 2 fronts to one rear. And swap the inside front pad to the outside of the caliper after every event to keep them even.

Best place is here:
http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/pf...&app=inc%20ZO6
Old 05-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by PolishDude
do you run on the stock c6z51 rotors? just curious
Yep. Not as good as a $5000 brake setup, but good enough to make it through a race (with a lot of air blowing over them), which is more than I can say for the $25 NAPA C5 rotors.

-Aaron
Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the help here. I'm currently setting up my C6 Z51 Coupe for HPDEs. I've got a race seat on order (needed to get my helmet on), but I've decided to hold off on a BBK because they require new wheels/tires. From what I've read here, for the first few HPDEs the OEM brakes should be OK with steet tires. I'll be using Castrol SRF and the C6Z brake ducts (not the DRM ducts, because I plan on installing Aaron's new adjustable Phatty bars when they are available!). It seems that the C5Z pads should work well in this context.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z06 Pads on C6 Z51?

Quick Reply: C5Z06 Pads on C6 Z51?