Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tow Eyes

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...egory_Code=TOW

These looks similar to what David Farmer has been doing with cables around the frame. They seem like a bit of an alternative to the Phoenix tow eyes. Anybody have good thoughts about how to mount them? At $20 they're cheap, too! Seems like asking a single bolt to take all the load may be a bit much, though -- could you drill a hole in the frame and tap it and just run a bolt in to it? Seems unlikely... thoughts?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

it should work. 3000lbs is not very much, and I'm sure these straps can handle it. I'd drill a hole and run a long bolt all the way through the frame. Tapping isn't an option, as the metal is too thin, and I don't trust nutserts etc.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of us that don't dismantle our cars each week; how tall is the frame and how unlikely am I to gain access without dismantling? :-)
Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are going to have to pull the front nose off of the car to get to the steel to mount it. It's about a 10-15 minute job with a cordless drill and a 7mm socket on it. You will also need a 10mm socket for the nuts that hold the front of the fenders to the nose.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow Eyes

Quick Reply: Tow Eyes