Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for harness and harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Morrisman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for harness and harness bar

I have an '06 C6 Z51 MN6. I did my 1st couple of track days over the last 2 weeks. I'm hooked. I need a better restraint system. I am looking at putting in a harness bar and camlock harness belt.

I am looking for pros and cons on which brands to buy and where to buy them.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G-Force 6 point cam-lock for the harness. Get a good seat that accepts a sub-belt. Don't mess around. If you do, you'll regret it later. Do it right, from the start.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Morrisman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
G-Force 6 point cam-lock for the harness. Get a good seat that accepts a sub-belt. Don't mess around. If you do, you'll regret it later. Do it right, from the start.
What harness bar do you prefer? Brey-Krause? RD?

I was leaning towards G-Force 5 point camlock for the harness. You find a difference with the 6-point over the 5 point? Where does the submarine belt attach on a stock seat?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Morrisman
What harness bar do you prefer? Brey-Krause? RD?

I was leaning towards G-Force 5 point camlock for the harness. You find a difference with the 6-point over the 5 point? Where does the submarine belt attach on a stock seat?
I'm a C4 guy with a roll bar so I'll let the C6 people chime in here on the bar question. The sub belt attaches to the rear seat mount bolts on the floor. I run my sub-belt up in between the seat back/seat bottom. Whatever you do, don't get a sub belt with a metal double strap attachment point. I saw a guy at the track with one and the strap attachment end (seemed like it was about 2 1/2" wide) was jammed between his legs looking very uncomfortable.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a Crow Enterprizes 6 point harness and I had them mount the camlock on the sub belts. When I'm getting out the rest of the belts can then be tucked out of the way very easily. The camlock and subs just end up draped over the front of the seat bottom and ready for their next use.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to www.pfadtracing.com

He has a set up for you. I am using Sabelt w/cam lock, hardbar and evo seat.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I track my '01 ZO6. I have the stock seats with B-K harness bar and their seat hardware for mounting harness. I use Simpson's 6 point harness. I do plan on race seats in the future but this setup works well for now.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Try the Shark Bar. It really works well for me.
https://cmc.speeddirect.com/amazing/...&Pbm=&FromNav=

Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by burners
Try the Shark Bar. It really works well for me.
https://cmc.speeddirect.com/amazing/...&Pbm=&FromNav=

What are the elbow brackets for? Do they allow the bar to be mounted further back?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

They are for attaching the lap belt.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

do your seats have "cut outs" for the harness?? If not, you are really wasting your time.

For the record, I've been very impressed with the Hardbar.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:33 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Mark is absolutely right, get quality stuff. Hardbar's harness bar and seat hardware have been battle tested and helped save my butt in a bad wreck a year ago. Gary also handles perhaps the best harness available - Teamtech. In order for this stuff to work right you need a proper race seat like the ones made by Sparco, Cobra and others. It can easily be removed between events for street driving. Be safe and have fun.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by burners
They are for attaching the lap belt.
Ahh, I went with Hardbar's seat mount brackets that also double as mounting points for lap and sub belt attachment. (very nice stuff)

I heard a rumor that Gary at Hardbar was REAL close to making a bracket that places the bar three inches more to the rear so us tall guys can have more leg room.

Gary, you listening ??
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both the Sharkbar and Hardbar are good harness bars. The Hardbar is 2" diameter and the Sharkbar 1-1/2". The Hardbar sits lower and further forward than the Sharkbar and thus limts seat movement to the rear. I'm 6-4 and keep my seat all the way back, so I put in a Sharkbar.

As far as a harness, I think the TeamTech Jet Pilot is top of the line. The anti-submarining belts that wrap around the thigh are quite unique and still only require a 4-point connection.

I purchased everything from Dan Hagerty at Vetteworksonline.com
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
do your seats have "cut outs" for the harness?? If not, you are really wasting your time.

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Mark is absolutely right, get quality stuff. In order for this stuff to work right you need a proper race seat

Get a proper seat..that's what holds you in....the harnesses keep you there.

I like Schroth Harnesses....
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
Ahh, I went with Hardbar's seat mount brackets that also double as mounting points for lap and sub belt attachment. (very nice stuff)

I heard a rumor that Gary at Hardbar was REAL close to making a bracket that places the bar three inches more to the rear so us tall guys can have more leg room.

Gary, you listening ??
Yes, I am listening, we will be offering a setback option for those of you that need the last couple of inches of seat travel, or those of you that come from LA and think you should drive with your wrist on top of the steering wheel on your Vette (just kidding). I am 6-0 and have the seat 2 inches in front of the bar, but I do understand the need for tall people so we are now testing this CNC machined steel offset piece:

It uses the Hardbar for your C4/C5/C6 as is so you can retrofit it to older Hardbars.
As far as the Hardbar itself goes, it has been not only thoroughly FEM analyzed (click on below, deflections exaggerated for clarity)

but has been “tested” in real world conditions many times with the drivers’ surviving without even a bruise, which is the bottom line. Add to that that it is the lightest and least expensive and works with our seat rails as a complete system with the Teamtech harnesses, so why go anywhere else. Oh yes, we use what we sell in our own C6Z at the track as well.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-01-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

As everyone has said a good harness bar and harness is necessary but if you do not have race style seats , many clubs and race Organizations will not let you use them. Also be aware that unless you are solo qualified. You must have equal safety equipment for both driver and passenger/instructor. Your car will present many problems to get race seats to work properly with all of the electronics. I am not promoting Johns seats but they do fit and they do work and they look great, and all of the eletronics work and no codes. Here are some pictures of a set up in my Z. Sharkbar-G-force 6point harness and Caravaggio seats. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 06-01-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Options for harness and harness bar

Quick Reply: Options for harness and harness bar