Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When are Radiator hoses too old for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default When are Radiator hoses too old for HPDE?

One of the last times I tracked my C4, it blew a Radiatior hose.

I had asked the mechanic to look them over and he said they were good, so now I realize you just have to do it on age (well, I realized it then too but the car was used so I didn't know if they had been replaced).

Obviously10 years old is an old hose, but where do you draw the line? Is it wise to bring a main rad hose with you at any age/mileage?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I think the 2 large hoses, as well as a spare belt, would certainly be great additions to any parts box. However, they seem to be really durable. My 97' still has the hoses that were on it when I got it, and they look like new. They may have been changed by a prior owner, or GM may be using good stuff, but I don't see any reason to change them.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

GM says EPDM hoses are good for the life of the car.
I believe it's the stuff Goodyear uses in their Himiler hoses. just seems to last & last
Old 06-01-2007, 04:57 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
GM says EPDM hoses are good for the life of the car.
I believe it's the stuff Goodyear uses in their Himiler hoses. just seems to last & last
Well, I can tell you the stuff they had in the fall of 1992 did not last forever and blew under the stress of hard track use on the 2nd day. This was a 12+ year old hose at the time.

When did they switch material?

I guess it is not common at least on C5's to blow a hose? In that case I should not worry too much.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2

I guess it is not common at least on C5's to blow a hose? In that case I should not worry too much.

Thanks
I had mine pop off the top of the radiator 2 events ago. It looked like it was never put on all the way and just worked itself off after 20k miles. Nothing wrong with the clamp and nothing wrong with the hose. Really strange.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Well, I can tell you the stuff they had in the fall of 1992 did not last forever and blew under the stress of hard track use on the 2nd day. This was a 12+ year old hose at the time.

When did they switch material?

Thanks
Yes, I put Goodyear HiMiler on my 1985,
GM changed with the C5 so I'm good to go with my 02 (for a while) I thinh I'll change around 100,000 or so

Get notified of new replies

To When are Radiator hoses too old for HPDE?

Quick Reply: When are Radiator hoses too old for HPDE?