Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost learned the hard way... caught my RF brake leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Almost learned the hard way... caught my RF brake leaking!

I recently installed some fresh OEM calipers that I had powdercoated black. The quality was amazing, but the areas normally left machined on the oem caliper were coated (the back where the brake line attaches and the bleed screw area.

I didn't think twice about it and proceeded to install my Goodrige SS brake lines w/ AN fittings. I used new crush washers and torqued the AN instert part good and wrench tight and crushed the washer.

I completed the brakes a few weeks back and drive the car to the crusie in and back. At the CI I thought my reservoir was down a smidge, but chalked it up the car not being level.

Well tonight it looked down a smidge more... got me worrying (I was installing/setting up my new Ultrashield Pro Roadrace seat at a buddy's garage). Tonight I return home and see a puddle on the floor at the RF of my car... it's blue... just like ATE superblue

Jack up frront of car, pull wheel and sure enough the wheel is wet as is the fender liner. I never left a puddle at BG and since returning I've only driven the car one evening and then tonight.

The AN fitting that screws into the caliper had backed off So a warning... if you get new calipers make sure the areas that are supposed to be machined indeed are. I didn't think twice about it and it could have been a costly lesson.

I'm going to pull the calipers, clean off the areas that need to be, and re-install w/ new crush washers. I figure I'll run an oem banjo bolt in the hole to keep stuff from getting inside the caliper.

Ugh.. so much for going to the local car show tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

good news is, these types of leaks don't cause catostrophic failures. I had a crew member leave a bleed screw slightly loose at a WC race at Sebring, and after about 3 laps, the pedal got softer and softer. By had a 2-zone system (ie the master has separate front/rear resevoirs and pistons) you never totally lose the brakes, although it may go waaaayyyyyy down.

Glad you caught it before you filled the system with air completely
Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Good to know... do you think I'm correct in assuming the powdercoat allowed the fitting to back out?

I've heard that happening with powedercoated wheels if the powder is left in the lug nut area.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a slight scare this morning after installing some new RB 2 piece rotors and their new ET900 pads last night.

today I went to put my cooling hoses on for Monday's event at Autobahn...and there were 2 small puddles of fluid but not under the caliper.

I double check that is was fresh Motul and wiped it up. I then remembered wiping a little fluid off the resovour that had been pushed out. I guess it pushed out more than a little and that ended up on the floor The caliper was dry
Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

****... turns out they're all seeping... the Powdercoat built up when I torqued them down and prevented a real seal!

Get notified of new replies

To Almost learned the hard way... caught my RF brake leaking!

Quick Reply: Almost learned the hard way... caught my RF brake leaking!