Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-car Video + Data Aquisition systems - recommend!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default In-car Video + Data Aquisition systems - recommend!!

For all you race guys with data aquisition systems. I'm looking for one with these features:
  • In car display for lap times and speed
  • gps-based speed sensing with auto-map creation feature (i.e. it draws the track for you on the video and overlay's your position on it when playing hte video back)
  • EASY to use software
  • multiple video streams (bullet cam or real dv camera inputs)
  • g-force accelleration is a plus
  • records on removable media, or a large hard drive is a plus (no tapes!)
I'm really looking for a easy to use all in one system that will auto overlay track and car data on the video feed. I currently use a g2x system but I just cant figure out the software, so, unfortunately, I end up not using it as a driver improvment device. I have been using the g2x display in the viewing range of my dv camera so I can see the speed on my video when I'm looking after the fact.

I also know about trackvision, but I'm really looking for a system that does all the grunt work for me. I dont want to do any post-processing. Ideally, I'd like to store the video in file formet, not tapes.

Can anyone who knows about these systems recommend one for me? Money is not really a consideration at this point, but I know it will cost at least a $1000. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Subw00er
I know it will cost at least a $1000.
That's a bit of an understatement. That's a pretty tall order of requirements and I think you'll have to refine them into a priority based list as you won't be able to get all of them. Also some may say no D/A software is "easy" (although G2X is definitely not on the "easier" list).

Off the top of my head, you'll want to check out (but neither meets your full list):
RacrEye http://www.racereye.com/index.html
Aim David http://www.aimsports.com/products/david/index.html

Last edited by jlucas; 06-03-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am using a very old Sony HandyCam my wife got me about eight years ago or more. It uses a mini DV.

In my car set-up it only works as a recording device. I don’t actually use the optics of this HandyCam. The way my recording system works is like this:
I have an analog color camera on a camera mount on the roll-cage
The output from that camera goes into DataCam2, a black box that overlays the data coming from the cars ODBII computer onto the video image from the camera (http://www.datacam2.com/)
That box outputs to the HandyCam that records the video with the overlayed engine data.
The cable from the DataCam2 to the Sony also has a splitter on it to feed in audio from an external microphone in the car.
Not shown on the video below is the ability I have through another black box to do picture in picture with another camera that I normally have facing out of the back of the car.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86&q=alvakanet

I recently added the Longacre HotLap timer with an interface from Advantage Motorsports to log my lap times on the video. As I recall the two of them run about $400.

Not counting the Sony, a DataCam2 like the one that made this recording runs about $900, plus $200 for the camera, $150 for the G-meter, $150 for the lap timer port, $100 for the camera mount, $50 in cables and then some time to wire it all up. The picture in picture feature will add about $500-600.

Bruce at American Race Day video systems can also be of tremendous help. He can be reached at (951) 536-7497 or in2racing@charter.net

All in all I think my set-up cost about $2500. I started with just the Sony, the basic Datacam2 with G-meter and the analog color cam on the camera mount. I added the other stuff later in phases.

I am not sure how much the track map would help as my system does not support that. But I can review my driving on the video, I can tell were I am by watching. I watch to see how soon I get back on throttle, etc. It has served me well. I imagine track mapping and split times provide a more objective and granular feedback, but I can tell pretty well from watching my videos what I need to do. I am also somewhat dubious about GPS based systems for tracking time. Sometimes when tracking a split time on a short section of track, the distance is only being measure by very few car lengths. I bet GPS based systems have that much in variance due to the fact that they are only accurate to a range of a few meters. I am sure others will know more about GPS accuracy than I do.

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

tracmate
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
tracmate
Link? I couldnt find this via google
Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try traqmate http://traqmate.com/
Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Race Technology DL1
Traqmate
MaxQData
G2X

Trackvision software (look up the NICE!! videos) works with all those but MaxQData.

Like This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKwnoTllFSM

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 06-04-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Subw00er
Racer

So far, the best one looks to be the Traqmate. It still requires post processing with trackvision, but it does provide a sync signal so it only takes "one button push" to rip the video with the data overlay. The other systems seem to work with trackvision for the most part but I can imagine syncing the data is just one more bothersome step.

If you buy the Chasecam box ($540) The traqmate also stores the video in a mpeg2 format on large (16gb) compact flash cards and this is a really nice feature since I want to move away from tape media. It is also capable of two video inputs from bullet cameras (520lines res) if you buy the additional ss-1000 box, and will even do a split-screen or Picture in picture.

It also has a display that will show current and best lap times with best lap indication. I currently use a XT racing timer and love it and it looks like the traqmate has all of its functionality. With a button press, the display also auto starts recording video and data in sync, and thats a great feature. I like the way they've streamlined their product with chasecam. I believe this is the only system that is this well integrated with Chasecam.

I also looked at the AIM DaVid system but it is quite expensive and doesnt come with the cameras, other odds and ends, and still uses chasecam or datatoys camera solution. The dash is also sperate and it just looks more complicated to implement.. I'm trying to go simple here!

Thanks for the suggestions. If there are any more, let me know, but it looks like I'll go with the Traqvision.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
jlucas
Racer

I dont want to do any post-processing.
But now your back to using Trackvision (which is what I use with my DL1 and is a good product) but that hardly meets your requirement list.

Money is not really a consideration at this point
AIM DaVid system but it is quite expensive and doesnt .....
So which is it? Expense is an issue or not? Post processing is ok or not?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Originally Posted by jlucas
But now your back to using Trackvision (which is what I use with my DL1 and is a good product) but that hardly meets your requirement list.

So which is it? Expense is an issue or not? Post processing is ok or not?
Yes, so I'd rather spend the money now than do extra work later. I said before that I would have to spend at LEAST $1K, and it looks like its going to be in the $3-4K range when all is said and done. This is fine, I want the best out there right now for what I'm trying to do and the traqmate product looks to be the most thought out and concise. The only features I wish it had was auto-start recording when it detects I'm doing above 20mph or something, and data from odbII. These features could easily be added with one of their firmware updates, so I'll cross my fingers for the future. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 PM
jlucas
Racer

I've found out about a new system today that sounds (and looks on the sample video I received) very promising to fit your list more than anything else but it's still a few months out. I'll check with the maker tomorrow to see how much I can say about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Let me know by tomorrow please!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.helmetcamera.com/

....this is what we use now. No need for harness bar mounted hardware anymore. Its portable, can mount it anywhere, uses industrial velcro, take it from car to car by carrying your helmet. Its also cheaper than any other setup.
We post races from our weekends on youtube with it. The resolution is good and improving all the time.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Subw00er
Racer

The helmet cam looks cool, but there is no data integration.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
rickkym
Instructor

anyone know what happend to the 'extreme geez' system that used the data cube and transmitted to a palm computer? They seem to be off of the web.

Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The helmet cam looks cool, but there is no data integration.
Since the image is stored to a camcorder of some sort, my vote
is that data can be integrated using TrackVision.

This is a solution which you mentioned is not satisfactory for your purposes
in the initial post, but data integration is possible with HelmetCamera
and other products like it. HC is just a bullet or lipstick cam packaged
for sporting activities.

Get notified of new replies

To In-car Video + Data Aquisition systems - recommend!!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Ive done some research here and it seems that traqmate gives you the best of most worlds.

Good data ( I have the device now, and am now hooking up the data part to the car instead of just the basic data from traqmate) and the video integration they program they just put togther with chasecam.

If i understand it correctly its about 2k for the entire gig. Im looking to do the double chasecam bullet cams next month and I already have traqmate.

While traqmate stand alone gives you good info, the video integration is really where it helps out the most.

I am starting to believe that beyond brakes and tires ( and safety stuff ) this is the best go fast addition to your car. Pretty amazing when you see where you lift, brake, and are back on the gas.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by jlucas
I'll check with the maker tomorrow to see how much I can say about it.
I got the go ahead to share the video. Don't ask about pricing or ETA because there are no answers for that right now. The logger is available now, the real time overlay add on is what is in the works.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kjaom8WW3U

I'm not a forum vendor so I can't really go into more detail on here but you can always contact me off the forum if you want more info. I'll have a demo unit of this new logger at the NCM VIR event in July as well as a DL1 demo unit for those that want to see either of those in action. I plan on getting a group buy going for the new stuff, the timing of which will be centered around the NCM event.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

....old thread dug up.....

Can any of these systems be used, where you can go back and lay the data over your video later?

I like the video quality my digital camera shoots, but would love to have a cheap data aquisition (maybe just brake, throttle, speed, rpm) to overlay onto my video.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: In-car Video + Data Aquisition systems - recommend!!