Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRC/Z06 Seats with a harness?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default FRC/Z06 Seats with a harness?

Hello,

Is there a quick solution for the FRC/Z06 seat situation?

I've heard you either need to change the seats to a standard seat, purchase race seats or buy the ECS seat covers to have the loop for for the harness.

Any other solutions?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

A fairly quick solution is to convert your seat backs to C5 sport seats. I found mine on Ebay for $xxx (don't remember anymore), and the seatback conversion takes a couple of hours for the seats.

The seat bottoms between the stock and sport seats are essentially identical, so you don't gain anything from swapping those out.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have the sport seats in my FRC.

However I am too tall to run the shoulder straps through the seat back and for it to be comfortable and at a proper angle. I just have them come over the seat back sides and over my shoulders.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen some people run them over with a chest strap to keep them together. I can't comment on the true safety of that setup though. Unless you are VERY broad-shouldered, I cannot image running them around without a chest strap is safe at all, jmho.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

quick solution, cut a hole in your seat and pull the shoulder straps through!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The top seat covers are easily removable. I took mine to a local upholstry shop. They cut a 2" tall X 6" wide slot in the seat back and lined it with leather just like the stock seating surface. The harnesses pass through at the correct level and are held tight to the sholders and can't slip off to the sides. Cost $150.00 to remove seats, make mods and reinstall. Check out a local shop and save $ over special seats. they are not as good as full race seats, but for a dual purpose car they are great.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
I have seen some people run them over with a chest strap to keep them together. I can't comment on the true safety of that setup though. Unless you are VERY broad-shouldered, I cannot image running them around without a chest strap is safe at all, jmho.
( Shuddder ) no not safe at all.

Many car clubs are going to stricter harness rules. Harness to be mounted per harness manufactures recomended mounting and routing requirenments.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:39 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
( Shuddder ) no not safe at all.

Many car clubs are going to stricter harness rules. Harness to be mounted per harness manufactures recommended mounting and routing requirements.
YaI said it the way I did as not to offend anyone.

There is a Corvette ... uh ... school ... that runs out of TMS here in DFW, they use Z06's, they run the harnesses AROUND the seats.

I couldn't believe my eyes! A school doing this. Unreal.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It is an indiviuals car, it is their safty, and they did sign a release of liabilty when they drove though the gate and signing in at the event.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It is an individuals car, it is their safety, and they did sign a release of liability when they drove though the gate and signing in at the event.
No, this particular school runs their own z06's like this.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm 6'4" 250 w/ wide shoulders... never had a problem running the straps around the seat. May not work for someone smaller.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myfirstcorvette I run the stock seats with B-K harness bar and harness mounts on the seat. I use a Simpson's 6 point harness installed the way B-K recommends. I am only doing DEs. I have had at least two different instructors use this setup and neither one of them seem uncomfortable with it. I also have sternum latches on the shoulder belts to keep them from coming off the shoulder.

I feel comfortable with this setup. I know that it is not perfect but I feel that it is better than the OEM belt. I do plan on get some different seats in the future. I want the very pricey Carvaggio seats since my car is also street driven I do not want a straight race seat.

Get notified of new replies

To FRC/Z06 Seats with a harness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRC/Z06 Seats with a harness?