Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat for C6Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Fun Stuf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Seat for C6Z06

My wife and I love driving in HPDE events using our C6Z06. We are signed up for the NCM at VIR in July. I already have a Sharkbar and 6-point belts in the car, but NCM is requiring seats with holes in order to use them.

Hence our problem:
I am 6'4" at 250 and my wife is 5'2" at um well, less than medium size. (I want to live a lttle longer). So the seat needs to be able to slide. Reclining would be great as she sits at 10% and I like 20%, but we may be able to do without that and leave it at 20%

I looked at the Caravaggio seats, but $2,600 is a little hard to come to grips on. And I looked at the PFadt system. But by the time you buy the seats, brackets, slider, etc, it is nearly the same price as Caravaggio...

So, what other options do we have?
Or should I just fork over the $2,600...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Shoulder harnesses going around the seat back are no where near as effective as the stock seat belt system. If you want a cost effective way to get your belts through the seat install a set of these grommets in each of your C6Z seats http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...c/seat-grommet .

I just spent two days at Watkins Glen where I saw a C6Z with these grommets installed. Not sure what the person paid to have them installed but he had used them for several track events so far and was happy with them. I didn't think to take a picture of them but the installation looked like an OEM setup.

Bill
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Best option would be to have your stock seat modified by a top end upholstery shop.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

just use stock belts, maybe end up with sore elbows and knees, but unless you want to cut up your nice leather, I'd go back stock.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Fun Stuf
My wife and I love driving in HPDE events using our C6Z06. We are signed up for the NCM at VIR in July. I already have a Sharkbar and 6-point belts in the car, but NCM is requiring seats with holes in order to use them.

Hence our problem:
I am 6'4" at 250 and my wife is 5'2" at um well, less than medium size. (I want to live a lttle longer). So the seat needs to be able to slide. Reclining would be great as she sits at 10% and I like 20%, but we may be able to do without that and leave it at 20%

I looked at the Caravaggio seats, but $2,600 is a little hard to come to grips on. And I looked at the PFadt system. But by the time you buy the seats, brackets, slider, etc, it is nearly the same price as Caravaggio...

So, what other options do we have?
Or should I just fork over the $2,600...
Several of us have gone with the Caravaggio's and are very happy with them. For the same price as you said and none of the problems. Along with the fact that the quality, fit and finish is great. I have the Caravaggio's and love them. All of the electrics and memories work fine. JD
Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A relatively inexpensive race-style seat option would be a Corbeau Forza on their sliding mount. Cost should be low 300's for 1 seat. This is not a high qual;ity solution but could work well as a low priced, temporary set-up for occassional track events. The seat would be snug for you and obviously big for your wife. It is a non-reclining, fixed-back seat that is easy to install and remove. Corbeau also has several reclining type seats that might be worth a look. I'm not sure if any are compatible with a sub strap, however. If it's a choice of comfort vs safety, though, go for safety. Other better mfrs like Recaro or Momo are better quality though more expensive. Not sure how they'd compare w/ Carravagio pricewise.
http://www.corbeau.com/prod_index/prod_index.shtml

Last edited by tcmc5; 06-06-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend leaving it stock. I had a Corbeau Forza seat in a C5 ZO6, and it worked fine, but you don't want it for daily driving. But, I have since changed my mind about running harnesses and race seats without at least a 4 point bar. I was at an event recently where an M3 rolled into a tire wall; didn't turn over, but the roof contacted the wall before the car settled down on its wheels. Part of the roof collapsed, and the driver's stock seat back collapsed, allowing it to recline. I didn't see the incident, and I don't know if the seat back collapsed upon the roof impact, or, when the rear of the car hit the wall; it apparently bounced around a bit. The driver was not hurt beyond minor cuts and bruises. Had he been restrained upright in a race seat, the results could have been tragic. I know the stock seat is lacking in support, but let's be honest, it's not unbearable for a 20 minute track session. It's a personal decision, but I'm either going to stick with OE restraint equipment, or, go to a properly track-prepped car.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ FYI the C5/C6 has an integrated roll hoop... it's no roll bar, but it is rather beefy.

I'm sure someone will post a pic of the mangled C6 that rolled end over end over end and collapsed it.

But in most insances it's very safe.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Several of us have gone with the Caravaggio's and are very happy with them. For the same price as you said and none of the problems. Along with the fact that the quality, fit and finish is great. I have the Caravaggio's and love them. All of the electrics and memories work fine. JD
Mine is on its way . . .
Old 06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you buy leather Recaros, the sliders, the base, and the side mounts you'll be approaching 2600 for the pair anyway. You may as well.

This is the set I want

Old 06-07-2007, 01:55 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

then ur air bags don't work.... so they say......
Old 06-07-2007, 02:47 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by larryfs
then ur air bags don't work.... so they say......
They will with the Caravaggio setup - but, of course, there are no side airbags in the Caravaggio seat. BTW he will add the seat warmer to your race seat if you want to keep that function.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
just use stock belts, maybe end up with sore elbows and knees, but unless you want to cut up your nice leather, I'd go back stock.
David,

You forgot.....also pushing in your door speaker grills in!

Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe the front air bags won't work either.
they work in conjuction with each other.
so if you remove the factory seat, your bag-less.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by larryfs
I believe the front air bags won't work either.
they work in conjuction with each other.
so if you remove the factory seat, your bag-less.
Let's try again. The Caravaggio seat retains ALL of the stock seat's electronic components, and with the use of a supplied jumper cable, this includes full air bag functionality even in the case of a 2LZ option package with side airbags (although there will no longer be side airbags). In the case of other racing seats where the stock seat's electronic components are lost, the entire airbag system will not function in a 2LZ car. Think of the Caravaggio seat as nothing more than a change in seat covers, and you'll get the point.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Let's try again. The Caravaggio seat retains ALL of the stock seat's electronic components, and with the use of a supplied jumper cable, this includes full air bag functionality even in the case of a 2LZ option package with side airbags (although there will no longer be side airbags). In the case of other racing seats where the stock seat's electronic components are lost, the entire airbag system will not function in a 2LZ car. Think of the Caravaggio seat as nothing more than a change in seat covers, and you'll get the point.
allanlaw is correct.

Here are mine...with working airbag, all electronics including driver seat recall.

Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
allanlaw is correct.

Here are mine...with working airbag, all electronics including driver seat recall.
I'm getting red stitching . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seat for C6Z06

Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure you need the airbags if you have racing seats and are harnessed in. I am planning kirkeys and will swap them out after track weekends. fact that airbags won't work when I have the kirkeys in doesn't bother me. I have heard the carvaggios aren't great for larger people. that persuaded me to go another direction.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrz1
not sure you need the airbags if you have racing seats and are harnessed in..
Who wears a six point belt for street driving...not to mention them being illegal, as silly as that is. If your car will never see the street, that is a different story.

Originally Posted by jrz1
I have heard the carvaggios aren't great for larger people. that persuaded me to go another direction.

This is more so for the pure racing seat he offers, not the ones in my car. The all-out racing seat has a deeper well.

Mike
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Short-throw -

Agree on the bags but note I said I was going to be swapping seats. I was only throwing this out as alternative. I had John himself tell me even the non GT3 seats may be a bit tight for every day driving for someone 6'4" 225-250lbs. I took his word for it and decided to do the swapping routine.

Quick Reply: Race Seat for C6Z06