Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Brake Duct Extension

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C6Z Brake Duct Extension

I'm thinking of adding some 3 1/2" silicone hose to the stock front brake ducts to extend them to a point nearer the rotors. I recall that someone else has done this - I would like to hear from you if you have and find out how you connected the hose to the ducting - screws, band clamp, adhesive, etc. Thanks. BTW I'm not interested in aftermarket brake ducts and spindle connections.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 3" dryer hose. To fasten to the brake ducts, I drilled two holes up top and two on the bottom so that I could zip tie the hose to the duct. Then I used some duct tape to seal it up.

This is on my C5 Z06. I added the C6 Z06 brake duct extensions.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Unless you are running aftermarket rotors, you are waisting your time. The rotors are backward on one side, and you'll have a cool side, and and even hotter hot side.

Stoptech will have drop-in rotors soon, and I'm holding out for that.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Unless you are running aftermarket rotors, you are waisting your time. The rotors are backward on one side, and you'll have a cool side, and and even hotter hot side.

I'm looking at the DBA 4000 single piece rotor as a cheap improvement. I agree that adding the spindle duct arrangement on a reversed rotor is suicide - the air coming in will be fighting the air going out . . .
Old 06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Um, aren't the HardbarUSA 2pc rotors drop-in for the C6Z already?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Um, aren't the HardbarUSA 2pc rotors drop-in for the C6Z already?
Yes, but they are pretty spendy.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I raced with Stoptech for years, and know their metallurgy is the best around. I'm waiting on them based on prior experience. I'm sure hardbar and/or RB's rotors are fine....but I want Stoptech.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I'm looking at the DBA 4000 single piece rotor as a cheap improvement. I agree that adding the spindle duct arrangement on a reversed rotor is suicide - the air coming in will be fighting the air going out . . .
Thanks for posting this information, stupid me was going to purchase spindle ducts for my stock C6Z06 brake setup. Again thanks, I'll wait till I roast my stock rotors and then I'll make the changes
Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

any idea on price point for the stoptech stuff?

should i hold out over the dba 4000 set if i can?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Thanks for posting this information, stupid me was going to purchase spindle ducts for my stock C6Z06 brake setup. Again thanks, I'll wait till I roast my stock rotors and then I'll make the changes

like buying two left shoes just dump that crap backwards rotors

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-05-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Absolutely NOT TRUE. Both stock rotors pump air from the hub to the periphery. Although the air flow may not be the same, both rotors cool themselves just fine. If anything, I have had more cracks on the "good side", i.e.: the driver's side rotor which has the "properly curved vanes".

I have used the stock rotors for 3 seasons with little trouble, except they crack due to the #$%^&* bling holes in them.

By all means, install the cooling ducts.

The DBA rotors seem like a worthwhile improvement. I just purchased and installed a pair of them and look forward to trying them out at VIR later this month.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Just for the sake of argument, how much good is there by ducting in the air from the front. What is the difference with the air naturally occuring around the spindle during travel versus the air being brought in by ducts ? Are we trying to avoid "re-cycling" hot air coming off the outside of the rotors, and if not, has anyone actually measured the temperature of the air with and without the ducts installed ? Don't anyone jump my case, I'm not saying this isn't worthwhile, but I am asking if anyone has real data to back up all this effort.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the stock C6Z rotors are better than one might suspect. I run pretty darn hard and they have held up pretty good, especially for drilled rotors. Also, I have heard the the lip in front of the wheel well, actually helps pull heat out of the wheel, by deflecting on coming air around the outside of the tire, that would normally prevent the hot air from escaping using brake ducts. Can anyone confirm this? I have not put a pyrometer on my stock rotors, but compared to the same tracks I ran with my 01Z, the C6Z brakes seem to definately run cooler. I remember the brakes on my 01, would get SO hot that the actual rim would scotch you to the touch. In checking my brakes after a session with the new Z, I have not seen the same kind of heat and are using similar grade race pads.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought hose from Aircraft spruce. Cut the ABS sensor bracket, zip-tip that connector to the reverse side of the spindle, then put the hose in where the sensor use to be. I use safety wire, one loop around the upright, one loop around the steering arm (part of the upright). Make sure you install it wi the wheel turned towards you, so that it will be long enough to turn in both directions.

Don't know how much it helps, as I'm not running sealed spindle ducts right now, but I stop from over 170 at VIR repeatedly with Synpower, and never have a bit of fade.

***Franks going to give us some data on running the rotors forward vs backward, but unless the flow is within 5%, I'm still dissapointed that GM did it!

Last edited by davidfarmer; 06-05-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
0Jon @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We offer a nice solution to the C6Z guys with the stock plastic ducts. They work quite nicely. Ill get Anthony post up some pics
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Ask and you shall receive.

These are going like cold drinks on a 105 degree Texas summer day, so call for yours today!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

What's the metal fabricated piece where it attaches to the plastic duct??

Something you've improved upon and changed a little since the originals.

That is where I'm having one hell of time keeping the driver's side attached. Keeps coming off no matter what (zipties, pop rivets, clamps, etc).

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Brake Duct Extension

Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

How much for the Z06 duct attachments? Do you buy a spindle kit with that to complete the system?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Here we are, one year later, and my homebrew ducts are still where I put them (dirtier, of course). They bring a lot of air to the rotor-hub area - the inside of my front wheels are blown clear of brake dust to about the midway point (where the rotor blocks further airflow).

Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

What tubing did you use?

Quick Reply: C6Z Brake Duct Extension