Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit

I spent this weekend with PCA Potomac Region aat Summit Point's Shenadnoah Circuit, and I gotta say, All the "hype" about it being a dangerous course was WAY overblown. Once you get over the icecream headache of figuring the course out, and get over catching air over the rise on the back strestch before the carousel, it's pretty darned fun.

I'll post some video and link it from Utube in the next day or two, but for those who have never done Shenandoah, Do NOT discount this course. It's fun, challenging, and rewarding. I'm so glad I finally did it, and can't wait to be there again!

Mike
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Was wait-listed with BSR FATT Friday ... no call.
I've done the main course and Jefferson several times; I'm going out for the first time Jul 8th ... Morgan Club rented the whole thing, then sub-let the north half, with the Carousel, to a Corvette Club.
NOTE: this is track time, NOT a DE school ... This event is going to be a day at the track. No instructors. The only things required are a NCCC high speed license and a Corvette. $80 for a full day at the track and $20 for a catered BBQ lunch. Interested?
http://www.nvcorvetteclub.com/mvnfor...ad?thread=2317
Old 06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I spent this weekend with PCA Potomac Region aat Summit Point's Shenadnoah Circuit, and I gotta say, All the "hype" about it being a dangerous course was WAY overblown. Once you get over the icecream headache of figuring the course out, and get over catching air over the rise on the back strestch before the carousel, it's pretty darned fun.

I'll post some video and link it from Utube in the next day or two, but for those who have never done Shenandoah, Do NOT discount this course. It's fun, challenging, and rewarding. I'm so glad I finally did it, and can't wait to be there again!

Mike
I never drove that track and I'll probably never will. It has concrete barriers on both sides of the track and if I hit them with my street car it will likely total it. Concrete barriers are for preventing race cars with full roll cage going into the spectators when the driver looses the car doing 200MPH. It is not for keeping cars on the course at HPDE event.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

I thoroughly enjoyed that track.....a bit technical with some wonderful corners. I did get enough "air" to spin tires over the bridge hump.

The carousel:

Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shenandoah is an awesome track. i've had a lot of fun sliding around those tight turns. and the jump is WAAAAY too fun.

i wouldnt want to instruct there though.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

I believe the track has undergone some enhancements since it opened, it ate quite a few cars back in the day... I'd like to get out and drive it now!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I love the original Summit Point, but alas it is too far away for me these days. Shenandoah looks like an autocross track to me, or drifting. Neither appeal to me. I like speed and momentum, not hanging it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice pics. I think at first the track was more than a handful. It is very technical. After a couple to few sessions, it was a ton of fun.

I will be there on July the 8Th.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with the original post, the track concerns about the concrete barriers are way overblown. I have attended 7 events - 14 days total at that track and have only seen one car hit the barrier. - A Mustang no less, he really screwed up his entry, lost it in the carousell and came out the top into the barrier. It is a very fun, technical track that requires driver skill not just horsepower to run fast. I will be there on the 8th - looking forward to seeing you there.

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 06-11-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get a NCCC high speed license?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

I have been there 4 times and seen 4 cars biute it. 3 into the wall on the outside of the track after the "jump" and another that got loose over the jump and almost had it corrected going into the carousel but not quite enough and he jumped right out almost jumping straight into the tire wall.

And whoever said it's like an autox course. That's exactly how I would describe it just faster.

As for going there again? No thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Aquaman;1560620254]I have been there 4 times and seen 4 cars biute it. 3 into the wall on the outside of the track after the "jump" and another that got loose over the jump and almost had it corrected going into the carousel but not quite enough and he jumped right out almost jumping straight into the tire wall.>

Concrete barriers have no place on a course for newbies doing a HPDE. I bet those 4 drivers are not fans of that circuit.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by wallyman424
shenandoah is an awesome track. i've had a lot of fun sliding around those tight turns. and the jump is WAAAAY too fun.

i wouldnt want to instruct there though.

Come on buddy........I'll let you ride shotgun with me
Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
How do you get a NCCC high speed license?
You have to first be a National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) member. You then go to an NCCC-approved school .(usually two days).. Northern Virginia Corvette Club has one coming up end of July. If they recommend you, the Regional Competition Director issues a license - good for three years. Some have taken longer to qualify.

If you are not NCCC but have some track experience, have been signed off to do track events solo, and it is documented (e.g., NASA Passport, SCCA TT/PDX logbook, BSR FATT evaluations, etc., email Dave, the event coordinator in the link above.

Key is that this is not a HPDE with instructors; participants are licensed for high-speed solo.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
You have to first be a National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) member. You then go to an NCCC-approved school .(usually two days).. Northern Virginia Corvette Club has one coming up end of July. If they recommend you, the Regional Competition Director issues a license - good for three years. Some have taken longer to qualify.

If you are not NCCC but have some track experience, have been signed off to do track events solo, and it is documented (e.g., NASA Passport, SCCA TT/PDX logbook, BSR FATT evaluations, etc., email Dave, the event coordinator in the link above.

Key is that this is not a HPDE with instructors; participants are licensed for high-speed solo.
Not to be a pooper but anyone with little track time and holds a NCCC license most likely will have a rough day at this track without an instructor. I think the NCCC license is too easy to obtain.

Just an opinion.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Nice pics. I think at first the track was more than a handful. It is very technical. After a couple to few sessions, it was a ton of fun.

I will be there on July the 8Th.

Dan,

I trust you found the source of the leak on your tire. Was it the tire/wheel/valve?

Planning to go Summit Point in September, maybe will see you.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Come on buddy........I'll let you ride shotgun with me
got a barf bag?

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit

Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Not to be a pooper but anyone with little track time and holds a NCCC license most likely will have a rough day at this track without an instructor. I think the NCCC license is too easy to obtain.

Just an opinion.
I hear that. I had one signed for me years ago because I showed up at an event and didn't need an instructor. It put the "E" in EZ.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquaman
I have been there 4 times and seen 4 cars biute it. 3 into the wall on the outside of the track after the "jump" and another that got loose over the jump and almost had it corrected going into the carousel but not quite enough and he jumped right out almost jumping straight into the tire wall.

And whoever said it's like an autox course. That's exactly how I would describe it just faster.

As for going there again? No thanks.

I feel the same. Not interested in going back after running there several times. I seem to remember the guy driving that car whether it was you or someone else. I know I remember the car anyway. Nitrous, right? I looked up the car number and 15th overall was damn good!

The Summit super high speed auto-x track is great to learn once, and then run it again maybe once.

Let's face it, you really have to get the car waaay outta shape to hit anything. And, unfortunately, some very skilled drivers have done just that. And, they've hit immovable WALL objects as a result.

Why put concrete barriers and tire walls 50ft from trackside?

My opinion is that it's easier to try to hit the trees further beyond there.. at least you have more room to settle the car down. Just not safe with small run-off areas... Alan Wilson would have a heart attack if he saw this track up close.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
I feel the same. Not interested in going back after running there several times. I seem to remember the guy driving that car whether it was you or someone else. I know I remember the car anyway. Nitrous, right? I looked up the car number and 15th overall was damn good!

The Summit super high speed auto-x track is great to learn once, and then run it again maybe once.

Let's face it, you really have to get the car waaay outta shape to hit anything. And, unfortunately, some very skilled drivers have done just that. And, they've hit immovable WALL objects as a result.

Why put concrete barriers and tire walls 50ft from trackside?

My opinion is that it's easier to try to hit the trees further beyond there.. at least you have more room to settle the car down. Just not safe with small run-off areas... Alan Wilson would have a heart attack if he saw this track up close.
It is amazing though, once on the track, you really don't notice the walls. .I guess if you are heading to the walls they will become visible again.

I like the track. This track IMO is more about technique and skill than speed. I also believe it would be a lot more fun with a smaller car than Corvettes and Vipers.

Quick Reply: Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit