Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone heard of or used the GM Value rotors?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone heard of or used the GM Value rotors?

I went to a Chevy dealer looking for front rotors for my 02 Coupe (cracked one at an HPDE event at BIR and yes I didn't have any spares) and they showed a value rotor priced about the same as the NAPA/Rock Auto rotors. They didn't have any, but I never have heard of them mentioned anywhere. Anyone, anyone?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I got some AC Delco rotors from RockAuto once. They cost a little more than the lowest price rotors, but were made in Canada and look to be the same as the cheap Raybestos. These are not the same as OEM GM parts.

They all crack equally well after being driven hard.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why bother buying them from the GM dealer? Just go to NAPA and get their stock rotors.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Why bother buying them from the GM dealer? Just go to NAPA and get their stock rotors.

That was/is my plan, but the NAPA store in Brainerd didn't have any, so I tried the local Chevy dealer. I'll be going to my local NAPA store tonight to get some.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy 2 sets of fronts at a time. $100+tax. Bed in one set then pull them and bed in the next. Now you have good track spares and an extra set at home ready for use. You'll need them in 3 or 4 events anyway
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Buy 2 sets of fronts at a time. $100+tax. Bed in one set then pull them and bed in the next. Now you have good track spares and an extra set at home ready for use. You'll need them in 3 or 4 events anyway
Thanks for the advise, I may just have to do that. First time I've cracked a rotor on the Vette. I use to do it all the time on my old Taurus SHO, so I carried spares. I must be finally picking up the pace enough to really use the brakes. Guess it comes with the territory, the faster you go, the more it's going to cost.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Don't get more PAD than you need, as a super hot pad can burn up rotors even if you aren't a super aggressive driver.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Don't get more PAD than you need, as a super hot pad can burn up rotors even if you aren't a super aggressive driver.
I agree with Dave, we all like to run the hottest pad on the market, but at the end of the day most are just doing HPDE. So, if you go down a heat index or two, you will get more life out of your rotors and all the braking you need for HPDE (unless you are rich, the go for it).
Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I run them all the time and so do many others that I know. For $18-$25 each, they work great and I can get at least two track days out of them. I run the PFC01 pads on them and they will still last a couple track days. They are not as good as the Stop techs that I also run some times, but you can get 5 full sets of rotors for the same price. RICH
Old 06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey if you ever run into problems up in BIR give me a call. It's a short 1.5 hours up there from the shop. It's better then being at the track and can't run!!!

Randy
PS Time to start carry spare rotors, there is always a vette in need.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Because NAPA sponsors Toyota's. Period.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Because NAPA sponsors Toyota's. Period.
And I guess you would not run a General Motors product either since they partnered with Toyota to build cars in California.

Period!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Locke
And I guess you would not run a General Motors product either since they partnered with Toyota to build cars in California.

Period!
Do your research. The Vibe is ONE car. No you will never see me driving a Vibe. I will take anything GM over Napa Bull $hit anyday of the week.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Do your research. The Vibe is ONE car. No you will never see me driving a Vibe. I will take anything GM over Napa Bull $hit anyday of the week.
Which makes a ton of sense, especially because GM doesn't even make their own rotors. The OEM rotors probably come out of the same plant that the Raybestos and NAPA rotors come out of, in Canada. So be my guest; go buy them from GM and pay twice as much for the same rotors you can get from NAPA or Rockauto, etc. But its your money, if you want to throw it away, that's your decision.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Which makes a ton of sense, especially because GM doesn't even make their own rotors. The OEM rotors probably come out of the same plant that the Raybestos and NAPA rotors come out of, in Canada. So be my guest; go buy them from GM and pay twice as much for the same rotors you can get from NAPA or Rockauto, etc. But its your money, if you want to throw it away, that's your decision.

Working at a Dealer I don't think I pay too much. Just a principle thing for me. Besides nobody makes cheap GS rotors anyway and I go the better part of a season on one set of the GM front rotors. Rock auto is ok I just wont support NAPA anything.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Hey if you ever run into problems up in BIR give me a call. It's a short 1.5 hours up there from the shop. It's better then being at the track and can't run!!!

Randy
PS Time to start carry spare rotors, there is always a vette in need.
Hey, thanks for the offer. I'm planning on going back to BIR for the August Suburban Corvettes practice day and I'll keep this in mind.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I may or may not be there already!!!

Randy
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
First time I've cracked a rotor on the Vette. I use to do it all the time on my old Taurus SHO, so I carried spares.
And you'll find the 12.85" C5 Napa rotors cheaper than any 10.9" or 11.6" SHO rotors

The NAPA rotors do well for what they cost. Season them well when new, run them up to temp slow on the warm up laps, and cool down laps, etc, they hold up pretty well. Cheap enough you can keep a lot of spares laying around.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone heard of or used the GM Value rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of or used the GM Value rotors?