Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 1 @ VIR: Mazdadrivers Grand East

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Day 1 @ VIR: Mazdadrivers Grand East

Had a great day... car is truly a monster w/ the extra power, new wheels/tires, and most of all the Ultrashield seat. Nice way to spend Father's Day weekend with my Dad. Rich (DoingOK) and his family and friends were/are in attendance as well.

My charriot for the weekend... borrowed Gary's (GBVette king of bling) '90 454 Suburban and 24-ft enclosed trailer. Nice to have the car prepped before even going to the track.

Our Z06s

17x11 w/ 315s all the way around! Car is very neutral now w/o the mild understeer it used to have. Throttle-enduced oversteer can be used w/ ease.

Getting strapped in... new true racing seat is the best mod by far.

My father in his new (x-mas present) racing suit... it was hot as *****, he didnt' want to wear it, but seeing as my mother got it for him as a gift it sort of falls w/ in ones husbandly duties.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Our pit area...

Rich (DoingOK) looking like the pedophile he is... of course w/ his color matching Z06 racing getup and the official C6 Corvette tent/awning

Ryan's (Oyhishdog) '98 T1 coupe. Phoenix performance did the full T1 treatment to it - a new motor. Phoenix's work is amazing.

Pitted next to us were 3 black C6Z06, two of them brand new...

They pulled up on this... quite impressive.

Ever see a station wagon towing... it was towing a featherlite aluminum trailer and an elise... so not a ton of weight, but kind of cool

A rather modded (a little ricey) WRX

DOHC Corvette goodness... car sounded wicked w/ headers and exhaust, chased him down a few times.

This morning this RX-7 was beautiful and had a nice carbon wing...

Elise... don't believe the hype... they're slow and their supposed prowress in the turns doesn't make up for it. They may be fun to toss around an auto-x but they really suck at the track.

Some nice RX-7s out... this was a Mazda club sponsored event.

This is a new camera position to me... must make for some awesome video.

Nice Porsche interior...

Quite a few GT-3s out and about.

Group of NSXs

Nice older Porsche
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Some on track pics... not the best, but you get the idea.

That's all for now.

Brian
Old 06-16-2007, 10:16 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i could have stayed for the weekend.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:26 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

Nice Pics Brian, Looks like you had a great tim today, tell everyone i said Hi...
Old 06-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian, What was the deal with that RX7 with the damage?

I won't be doing the grandeast anymore... Not enough laps, and toooooo many wagon trains...

Ryan, That track car looks AWESOME!!! Frikkin' Phoenix Racing!! They build a heck of a car...
Mike
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Very cool. Looks like ya'll are having a good time.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Nice man! We could not make it, work and my rear end needs more miles. O well, next event???
Dave
Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove by Sat AM around 8:00 or so on my way out to say hello, I think everyone was in the drivers meeting.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:49 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nice pics, looks like you had a great time, must have been great to it with Dad. My son is only 6, can't wait till he's old enough. Since you're towing now, try to make it Watkins Glen July 16/17th with us. Come up Sunday, stay till Tuesday. And I agree about the lotus's, might be fun a small track like Limerock, but a very underpowered car on a big track.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Brian,

Great pics!!

How the new rims and tires work for you at the track? Any issues?

Did you have any leakage from brake lines or did everything hold together?

I have heard the Lotuses are fast. I remember seeing a vid a while back of one chasing a Z06. Almost caught up to the Z. They seem to be able to carry a lot of speed into and out of corners.

Glad you had a goiod time.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lotuses being fast???
Every time I go to VIR and there is a lotus there, one of two things happens... The driver either ends up in armco when the snap oversteer bites him in the ***, or he becomes a rolling chicane. Those cars are probably very capable in the hands of a racer or instructor. In the hands of anyone else, they're a low HP, light weight car that has zero drivers aids.

I actually was looking at them before I bought my 996TT. I was hugely turned off by the loud interior noise (Think Gen2 MR2) and the lack of interior space. The driver and passenger seats are ontop of each other. In an "incident" there is little if any room for survival.

Mike
Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Lotuses being fast???
Every time I go to VIR and there is a lotus there, one of two things happens... The driver either ends up in armco when the snap oversteer bites him in the ***, or he becomes a rolling chicane. Those cars are probably very capable in the hands of a racer or instructor. In the hands of anyone else, they're a low HP, light weight car that has zero drivers aids.

Mike

with Mike. They are Cool looking little cars, but even the Twin tubo is a rolling chicane , the Orange ones look like moving Cones.

Brian looks like you and DAD had a great time.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Nice pics, looks like you had a great time, must have been great to it with Dad. My son is only 6, can't wait till he's old enough. Since you're towing now, try to make it Watkins Glen July 16/17th with us. Come up Sunday, stay till Tuesday. And I agree about the lotus's, might be fun a small track like Limerock, but a very underpowered car on a big track.
It was great... we had a blast. No can do... my funds are going to buying my own trailer this month as I don't want to borrow anymore. Will run a few more events this year, but probably close to home so I don't have to miss work.
Originally Posted by Independent1
Brian,

Great pics!!

How the new rims and tires work for you at the track? Any issues?

Did you have any leakage from brake lines or did everything hold together?

I have heard the Lotuses are fast. I remember seeing a vid a while back of one chasing a Z06. Almost caught up to the Z. They seem to be able to carry a lot of speed into and out of corners.

Glad you had a goiod time.
The wheels/tires were completely amazing... no rubbing issues, the car flat out hauls.

No brake line issues thank god... everything was sealed and my master wasn't leaking... all in all best case scenario!
Lotuses being fast???

I actually was looking at them before I bought my 996TT. I was hugely turned off by the loud interior noise (Think Gen2 MR2) and the lack of interior space. The driver and passenger seats are ontop of each other. In an "incident" there is little if any room for survival.

Mike

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Brian looks like you and DAD had a great time.
We sure did.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I won't be doing the grandeast anymore... Not enough laps, and toooooo many wagon trains...
Not sure... RX7 hit a wall

Had no issues w/ traffic it was awesome.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Mike
My buddy Tim's (black 350Z) instructor was in the car when the RX7 crashed. He lifted in the climbing esses..............oopsy. I had an instructor give me a late point by after the bridge and it was quite hairy when hitting those esses too far left off track. I got a little squirrely @ 110mph in there but made sure I didn't lift. Real only pucker factor I had all day (cept one off track excursion @ the Bitch corner early on).
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM
GreyGT-C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Brian, that was my car with the odd camera mount. Yes, the video angle is INCREDIBLE.

Thank you again for the advice that finally fixed my clutch issues. It's nice to be able to get the car back into gear and pay attention to the track instead of fumbling with the pedal the whole session.

Get notified of new replies

To Day 1 @ VIR: Mazdadrivers Grand East

Quick Reply: Day 1 @ VIR: Mazdadrivers Grand East