Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Physics of Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Physics of Racing

Probably everyone has seen this.

Complete set of Brian Beckman's articles. Download each article as a pdf.....bottom of page

http://www.virtualracersedge.com/physics_of_racing.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting!
Thanks

Last edited by Kinkajou; 06-20-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I haven't seen that. Excellent stuff, thanks for the link!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Cool... I'll read through one a night.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are great articles.
I actually met Brian a few years ago when i lived in Seattle. He was giving a talk about the articles to a group of guys. Very smart/sharp guy.
Last i heard he was still in seattle working for Microsoft/X-box overseeing the development of the vehicle dynamics for the car racing games.

Soooo if you play those racing games it is a direct application of those theories and models.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by aggie_corvette
Those are great articles.
I actually met Brian a few years ago when i lived in Seattle. He was giving a talk about the articles to a group of guys. Very smart/sharp guy.
Last i heard he was still in seattle working for Microsoft/X-box overseeing the development of the vehicle dynamics for the car racing games.

Soooo if you play those racing games it is a direct application of those theories and models.
mailto:brianbec@microsoft.com

From the Miata site...FAQ by Brian :

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/faq.html

Physics of Racing Series, FAQ
This FAQ was written by Brian Beckman, with updates by Robert Keller .

What is the PhORS?
It is a series of articles about the physics of racing cars. It is decidedly slanted toward autocrossing (my favorite sport), but sidebars from other forms of racing appear when relevant. I start with the fundamentals (Newton's Laws, for example) and am slowly but surely building up complexity and covering more advanced topics. I cover all aspects of racing where physics applies, from driving to car setup to computer simulations. I am trying hard to make the articles useful and enjoyable for the non-technical reader who knows that physics is important for racing but needs some help understanding it. So, you don't have to be a physicist, engineer, etc. to understand the articles.

The series started in our local-area autocrosser's newsletter in June '90. I started posting them to Team.Net not long thereafter. To date (27 July 91) there are nine articles. There is no end in sight. (There are now twelve articles in total -rck 1995)

What are your sources for info in the articles?
The analyses in the articles are totally original. I'm figuring out the physics as I go along, as part of figuring out autocrossing and trying to get better at it. I'm a professional physicist (actually doing computer science, these days), and an amateur racer. The articles are kind of a journal of a personal learning process from a physicist's point of view.

I avoid reading the "classical" technical texts (Smith, Puhn, Taruffi, etc.) before writing an article (though I *sometimes* cross-check my results with them). I do this on purpose for several reasons:

It would be of little value to you to see mere regurgitations of material you can read yourself in those sources,
I want the depth of understanding that can come only from figuring out the physics from first principles,
"peeking at the answer" would spoil the fun for me,
I hope and can give a somewhat fresh outlook on things.
As time goes on, I am working into more accurate approxi- mations at the cost of greater complexity. The earlier articles are easier to understand but less accurate.

How can I get copies of the series?
The articles are stored in electronic form for anonymous ftp on ftp://ftp.team.net/autocross/ thanks to the generosity of Mark Bradakis, one of the founders of Team.net. Ask your local network guru for help with ftp and the decoding procedures outlined below.

The articles are free for the taking for personal use, though they are copyrighted by me (more about that below).

The following describes the format of the files by giving the example of Physics09.tar.Z, the file that contains the ninth physics article on "Straights."

First, download the file to your favorite machine using anonymous ftp. On my unix machine, I would do the following:

$ ftp ftp.team.net
Name: ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password: your@email.address
:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> cd autocross
ftp> ls P*
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 37152 Dec 4 1991 Physics-12.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 245929 May 10 1991 Physics01.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 119451 May 10 1991 Physics02.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 128571 May 10 1991 Physics03.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 136700 May 10 1991 Physics04.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 207627 May 10 1991 Physics05.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 138705 May 10 1991 Physics06.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 194927 May 10 1991 Physics07.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 136828 Jun 21 1991 Physics08.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 262933 Jul 9 1991 Physics09.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 131816 Aug 19 1991 Physics10.tar.Z
-r--r--r-- 1 0 3 256133 Oct 9 1991 Physics11.tar.Z
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> get Physics09.tar.Z
ftp> quit
$

Then, uncompress the file, as in the following:

$ zcat Physics09.tar.Z

That results in Physics09.tar, which is a virtual "Tape ARchive." Extract the files from it as follows:

$ tar xvf Physics09.tar

A directory "09" containing three files will appear. The files are:

-rw-r--r-- 1 brian 354692 Jul 9 09:54 09-Straights.PS

This is a file containing PostScript input for any PostScript printer. The file was made and tested on an Apple LaserWriter, but should work on anything. Notice it is very large. The reason is that the Apple Macintosh software that produces it is kind of dumb. The articles are usually five or six pages when printed.

-rw-r--r-- 1 brian 126102 Jul 9 10:05 09-Straights.self.sit.hqx

This contains original Macintosh files. The files are encoded in "binhex" format. This file is straight ASCII. Get it over to your Mac, run Stuffit 1.5.1 or 1.6, select "decode binhex" from a menu, and decode the file. An application program will result. This application program is a so-called "self-unstuffing archive." Just execute it (by double clicking, for example). It will extract its contents automagically.

There is always a "Textures" file. Textures is a Mac implementation of TeX, Donald Knuth's technical typesetting software package, with extensions for pictures. Textures allows me to put figures in the articles. I know of no UNIX implementation of TeX that makes it easy to put in pictures, so I use the Mac implementation.

Sometimes there are other supporting files such as Excel spreadsheets or original artwork files.

-rw-r--r-- 1 brian 13176 Jul 9 06:28 09-Straights.tex

This is the TeX source for the article. It is a human-readable, ASCII file, so you can still get the gist of an article by reading it if you don't have an implementation of TeX for typesetting the article. **NOTE** if you process this file, you will get the text of the articles and any equations and tables. You will not get the figures. The figures are available only to Mac users via the Textures file or to hardcopy users who print out the PostScript file.

What are the terms of the copyright?
Anyone can download the files, print them, read them, give copies to your friends, etc. I ask that you do not charge money if you give away copies. I ask that you not change the articles. Essentially, the articles are "copylefted:" use them freely, but do not restrict the access of anyone else to them by charging money or altering them.

You are free to print them in your local autocrossing newsletter if you

ask me first (email is OK, brianbec@microsoft.com),

make sure you attribute them to me with my name and address and copyright stuff in the printed version (make sure the blame gets to the right person),

send me copies of your newsletter.

These articles are already being published in at least four newsletters around the country and I have gotten generally positive reviews. I've also generated some debates, which is great fun and really brings out the issues.

Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them!

\brian\

Last edited by Bink; 06-21-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BInk,

All that was probably written in1995. None of that's necessary now. The site has downloadable pdf format files for simplicity that everyone can use.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I remember seeing a book by the same name.

I wonder if it's the same one.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by robvuk
BInk,

All that was probably written in1995. None of that's necessary now. The site has downloadable pdf format files for simplicity that everyone can use.
Oooops, sorry.
I right clicked and neglected to check my copy. I only meant to copy the initial comments.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I emailed Brian Beckman. He sent this link -> http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm. I would guess new chapters will be posted here.....add to favorites??
Pretty cool that he responded - car guys are the Best!!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post.

Thanks a bunch.