Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin MS vs Tracquest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chin MS vs Tracquest?

How do the folks who have gone from Tracquest to "Chin" Motorsports events see the transition from one to the other? I.e., how would you compare the management of these events (and your personal experience in driving the events) to those before the buyout?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeckham
How do the folks who have gone from Tracquest to "Chin" Motorsports events see the transition from one to the other? I.e., how would you compare the management of these events (and your personal experience in driving the events) to those before the buyout?
I had limited experience pre "buyout". But I noticed more instructor perks (meals, etc.) pre-buyout then you see now. I think their participant prices went down though. The on track rules are unchanged from the Tracquest format. I have done many Chin/Tracquest events post buyout and they are pretty well run. Even if they are pretty hung up on "Miata is king" mantra
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Seamless transition when Chin brought out Track Quest's East Coast opperation.

Now you will see... a few less "Perks"...

but the event is VERY WELL RUN... with ample track time !!!

IMO... Much better than most other D E Events !!!

Did I mention.. Ample track time ?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Corvette55
Instructor

I instruct for them. IMHO they are the best value in DE for both students and instructors.

Paul
Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Prices are higher with Chin as they require membership with the org. before you can even register for an event, and the events themselves are more, especially if you're in the novice group and will have an instructor with you. Track time is the same and the events are run well. As far as the Miata thing, I had to allow the Chin Motorsports Miata to pass last year at Watkins while driving my Z06...not the greatest thing for my ego Gotta admit they are great cars for the track.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I did quite a few with Todd (mostly Mid Ohio) and now with Mark and his crew. Both formats are great...tons of seat time and I really haven't noticed too much of a difference. Todd liked to do those wine tasting things, which was a bit odd to me, but other than that...
Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for your impressions. (Especially Chris, who has helped me in ways he probably doesn't recall, such as helping me to get my window glass out when my door module failed at CMP and I couldn't lower or raise the driver window).

I got off on the wrong foot with the new Chin management when I complained about their website not working correctly some months ago. I was trying unsuccessfully to register for an event using my old Tracquest data. To make a long story short, they not only objected to my questioning how it worked, but to my surprise became personally abusive.

So while Todd's Tracquest events were my overall track event favorites (I used to do Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen on a regular basis) the atmosphere now seems quite different, and I wanted to get the impressions of the Corvette crew about the new operation. Thanks - Robert
Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Give Chin another try... talk to Mark Hicks.

If you don't... it will be your loss !!!

They really run a safe event with more track time than any other group I've run with...

and that includes just about everybody.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by varkwso
I had limited experience pre "buyout". But I noticed more instructor perks (meals, etc.) pre-buyout then you see now. I think their participant prices went down though. The on track rules are unchanged from the Tracquest format. I have done many Chin/Tracquest events post buyout and they are pretty well run. Even if they are pretty hung up on "Miata is king" mantra
I ran with them at Roebling for the first time and had a great time. Lots of track time, well run, and they allow solo drivers who show some common sense the ability to have another solo driver ride with them. It is helpful having one of you Corvette guys show me the fast way around the track

BTW, there was maybe 4 Miatas, a bunch of P-cars and 3 Vettes, one of which I lapped
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am an instructor with chin, also ran with todd at road atlanta. Last year todd joined us at vir and I hung out with him quite a bit (drank some of his expensive wine.) They are a great group, with tons of time. Pretty sure mark would not verbally abuse anyone...??

When they do the tracquest format, things are as before. When they do the chin format, you get some long sessions, I had to ride with a dude for 45 minutes at roebling in a prelude, was about to hurl!

p.s. never passed by a miata!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz06
I am an instructor with chin, also ran with todd at road atlanta. Last year todd joined us at vir and I hung out with him quite a bit (drank some of his expensive wine.) They are a great group, with tons of time. Pretty sure mark would not verbally abuse anyone...??

When they do the tracquest format, things are as before. When they do the chin format, you get some long sessions, I had to ride with a dude for 45 minutes at roebling in a prelude, was about to hurl!

p.s. never passed by a miata!
I did an hour on track with a student at Sebring with Chin/TS - I have never been happier to see a checkered...the sessions are way past my butt tolerance at times...

I am surprised if Mark was the abuser - his wife would not put up with that kind of attitude!

Some of the other "Chin" guys can get arrogant - but so does Tim.....

I was in the Pcar that hit the tree at T8 at Roebling - I was hollering throttle as he was lifting in a 911 - bad plan....
Old 06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Heey Heeey Heeeey.... Tim's cool.

When he gets a litl... "uppitty"... just give him a Beer !!!

Cya @ VIR, Jeff.

Jody will probably have his Millers Lite !!! I hear...He's got his "Pit Babes" dieting !!!

Last edited by trumper Z06; 06-22-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Heey Heeey Heeeey.... Tim's cool.

When he gets a litl... "uppitty"... just give him a Beer !!!

Cya @ VIR, Jeff.

Jody will probably have his Millers Lite !!! I hear...He's got his "Pit Babes" dieting !!!
Tim is the best having him at the NASA free beer cooler is like watching Jody's pit babes at a buffet...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Get notified of new replies

To Chin MS vs Tracquest?

Quick Reply: Chin MS vs Tracquest?