Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of clutch do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
BMX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of clutch do you use?

What type of clutch does everyone here use for AX/HPDE and why?
I have a lot of friends that drag race and I've seen what they use and I was just curious if there were different brands/types (single disc, twin?) that might be better for track use that lasts longer than 12 seconds or so

I still have my stock LS6 clutch and it's starting to get the sticky pedal and some slippage so it's time to choose the new one.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the original in my 02 ZO6 (~40,000 miles).

I put a ZO6 clutch and flywheel in my FRC last year....

I may go with SPec on my next one
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

My pedal is going also - dealer didn't cover since it hasn't totally failed yet (Hendricks Chevrolet in Cary, NC is the greatest). So, I have a Spec3 going in tomorrow - will post up some feedback after NCM in a week.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
BMX
Instructor

Originally Posted by freefall
I have a Spec3 going in tomorrow - will post up some feedback after NCM in a week.
I'm interested to see what you think. My FBody friends had mixed reviews about this clutch so I am curious to see how it works in your Vette.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I went through a RPS in about 11k miles, so I'm now working with an Ls7. for roadcourse/street runs its feels fine.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Life is Good Racing
Instructor

We just started using the Exedy Twin Disk clutch and have two 3 hour enduros on it, plus about 10 more hours of testing without problems. Still early, but hope it helps a bit.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Don't go w/ the LS7... any cluch designed by LUK will have the stickey pedal, it's inherent to the pressure plate design.

I have a LUK Stage II w/ the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I've had it in since '05 and probably 30,000+ miles.

I have the drill mod to remove the restriction from the return line (allows full fluid return), all my hydraulics are wrapped in header wrap and DEI cool tape, have a remote bleed line, and run ATE superblue fluid.

The biggest change is removing the oem clutch return spring... it's made for old ladies wanting to drive a manual in stop/go traffic and is one of the largest players in the sticking clutch.

Remove it and you'll be shocked at the difference. Just a few weekends ago at VIR Grey GT-C was having issues and asked me about it. After simply removing the spring his clutch sticking problems went away and he could heel/toe just fine.

HTH,
Brian
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Please explain the difference in feel of the clutch pedal after removing the spring.

I use a cartek clutch. It has no chatter and an adjustable master cylinder.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The spring makes the pedal easier to push in and hold on the floor for daily driving... I think they feel way too soft and sloppy. After removing the spring the clutch is a little harder to push in, but nothing bad at all especially compared to the old clutch I had in my stang.

It feels far crisper and the engagement is more positive. Try it... you can always put it back in.

I've had mine out for over 3 years. I tried putting it back in once just for ****s/giggles and my pedal started sticking again when heel/toeing at VIR. I pulled right in and yanked the bitch out, then went back out... all was perfect again.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
The spring makes the pedal easier to push in and hold on the floor for daily driving... I think they feel way too soft and sloppy. After removing the spring the clutch is a little harder to push in, but nothing bad at all especially compared to the old clutch I had in my stang.

It feels far crisper and the engagement is more positive. Try it... you can always put it back in.

I've had mine out for over 3 years. I tried putting it back in once just for ****s/giggles and my pedal started sticking again when heel/toeing at VIR. I pulled right in and yanked the bitch out, then went back out... all was perfect again.
Guess I've just been lucky. Definatley cannot drag race/launch hard with it though
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
BMX
Instructor

Thanks for the responses, guys! Keep 'em coming!

The biggest change is removing the oem clutch return spring... it's made for old ladies wanting to drive a manual in stop/go traffic and is one of the largest players in the sticking clutch.

Remove it and you'll be shocked at the difference. Just a few weekends ago at VIR Grey GT-C was having issues and asked me about it. After simply removing the spring his clutch sticking problems went away and he could heel/toe just fine.

HTH,
Brian
Brian, how do you remove this spring, where is it located, and is it easy to put back in? I assume it is on the pdeal itself somewhere in the footwell.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Look under your clutch pedal... you'll see it. It's a bit of a bitch to get out... it helps to have someone use a long jack handle to push the pdeal in, then use a screwdrive to pop it off of the groove in the clutch pedal it rests in. It's about the same to put back in.

My money is on it never going back in once removed. I though removing this spring was common knowldege!

HTH.
B
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
BMX
Instructor

I though removing this spring was common knowldege!
Maybe to others, but not to me

I'll give it a shot tonight and see how I like it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I don't want to add more effort to depress the clutch since my Cartek clutch requires a little effort over stock to start with.

I agree with Bryan's recommendations for the drill mod to increase flow, insulating all hydraulic lines, and most importantly, a remote bleeder line.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 06-26-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
BMX
Instructor

The drill mod, remote bleeder, and insulation of fluid lines will come when I replace my clutch. For now, I removed the spring and went for a "spirited" drive and the sticky clutch pedal didn't not happen once. Thanks for the suggestion, Brian!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Awesome

Get notified of new replies

To What type of clutch do you use?

Quick Reply: What type of clutch do you use?