Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy w/ the longevity of Carbotech XP12s... this is after 1 event, input?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Not happy w/ the longevity of Carbotech XP12s... this is after 1 event, input?

Tried the XP12/XP10 setup for the first time at VIR a few weeks ago running Grand East w/ Mazdadrivers.

I normally use Wilwood H's... After this I think I will go back to the H's.

Carbotech's were good in that they seem to dust less and are easier on the rotors, but check out the pads after 1 weekend on Grand East:

They taper more and wear way faster... can I even get another event out of these? Maybe 1 day?

For comparison here's my H's after 3 weekends... I run in the advanced groups most often and was running on RS304s before, and V710s for this event.

~Brian
Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,

I tried XP 12's, and admitted, they are great pads. They stop really well and are nice and easy on rotors. However the wear on them is ridiculous.

I would completely destroy a set after one race weekend. I just switched to wilwood H's (and soon to be sl6 calipers) and I'm sold. After one race weekend, the pads show very little taper, and the pedal remained strong.

you can probably get one day out of those. This pad is an xp12 that i ran for one race weekend (2 days) and one hpde day. Theyre down to the rivets at the more tapered part.

it is worth saying that while using xp12's i didnt have to replace the front rotors for like 4 weekends, which is a personal record.

Last edited by wallyman424; 06-28-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Ugh... Wilwood H's hardly taper... becuase the beat the chit out of rotors... but that's ok I'm a rotor changing pro.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get much better track pad life with XP8s and XP10s then the 12s....
Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
I get much better track pad life with XP8s and XP10s then the 12s....
yeah, for an hpde it might be worth trying the 8's or 10's. I ran HPS+'s at VIR and Summit for a few HPDE weekends, and they had plenty of braking power and hardly wore down.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Maybe I'll do XP10s all around.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
yeah, for an hpde it might be worth trying the 8's or 10's. I ran HPS+'s at VIR and Summit for a few HPDE weekends, and they had plenty of braking power and hardly wore down.

I run NASA TT with them all - to be honest the lap time is not impacted by the pad selection - heck some of my fastest laps are on the backing plate - tires are more of a limitation I think. I ran HPS and HP+ on the Camaro
Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wilwood " H's" are great... as long as you can use those Napa ~ $25.00 rotors.

Currently, as far as I know, Wilwood doesn't offer pads for the new Z06. They haven't even answered my e-mail asking WHEN pads will be available !!!

I've had good success with Carbotech XP12/XP10's on my new Z. Fronts lasted 3 days @ Road Atlanta plus 2 days @ Barber. Pads are not hard on abrading rotors... but I did manage to crack 1 front rotor, the other was close to letting go. Looks like the rear Xp10's will last @ least twice as long !!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
I run NASA TT with them all - to be honest the lap time is not impacted by the pad selection - heck some of my fastest laps are on the backing plate - tires are more of a limitation I think. I ran HPS and HP+ on the Camaro
definitely, the usefulness in those H's, XP12s, PFC01's is that you have that extra braking ability for when you need it.

and having a little less brakes makes you take the turns faster... riiiiiight?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of thoughts......

Heat is the enemy. I don't have any clue as to which tracks you are getting 3 days out of pads from but I can tell you that Grand East VIR gives you very little time between corners in which to cool the brakes. As this heat builds it simply wears the pads at a faster pace. There's just no way around it especially if you brake longer/earlier than you need to. Just some fod for thought.

Also, those look about 50-60 percent gone but the nice thing about Carbotech that I have seen is you can literally run them to the backing plates with no loss in performance, you will have a long pedal but it won't be from boiling fluid. They insulate the fluid well enough that even when thin it's hard to boil fluid. At a track thats easy on brakes as long as you keep tabs on them I suspect you could get another weekend out of those. Inspection between sessions is a must though.

I can't say enough about these things. I know you've probably made your decision already but I stake my life on these pads. They aredead nuts even with all of the top pads out there and IMHO offer that bit of extra bite LATE into a heavy braking zone that others don't. This is not only important for racing but it is important at HPDE's when you miss that braking marker. Your rotors, calipers and bearings will last longer because they do really seem to keep heat away better. I have a good picture of me and another car under braking into turn 1 at Summit Point, I was making a pass so I suspect I was braking a bit harder. He was on Hawks, i was on Carbs. Both of our rotors were lit up, but the other cars rotors were about twice as bright as mine. It's not very scientific, but it tells me some things.

I wouldn't give up on them yet until you do the exact same track on other pads back to back and then compare all the variables.

Joe

Last edited by sleeper02Z06; 06-28-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Short life is my main complaint about XP12 pads. I also go through one set in two HPDE days in my C6Z. They kill one set of rotors in two days too.

I have one set of XP12s left (bought last year when they had the only high-temp pads for the C6Z) that I will burn up at VIR with NCM then it's Hawk DTC-70 for me. In my experience the Hawks are not any harder on rotors than the Carbotechs, but they last me 6 to 8 HPDE days in the C5Z.

Bottom line: Carbotech is out, Hawk is in.

There must be a reason why most T-1 racers are on Hawks.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
There must be a reason why most T-1 racers are on Hawks.
Bah humbug! I like my Carbs!

Joe
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Bah humbug! I like my Carbs!

Joe
Joe, you know I like and support you, but you also know you are in the minority.

If Carbos work for you, great!!! Go kick some T-1 butt.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

The CO$T of after market 2 piece slotted rotors for the new Z06...

encourages us to look for brake pads that will slow the beast down...

while providing reasonable rotor life.

I hope people will report their results with various brake pads, so we can make an intelligent choice.

We need to know how many track days a set of brake pads last... and how the rotors fair.

My 3 days at Road Atlanta

Friday: open track equal to ~ 4... 30 minute sessions

Saturday & Sunday: 3... 30 minute sessions/day

Barber

Saturday & Sunday: 4 sessions/day lasting ~ 20 minutes each. We had a lot of incidents at that meet.

Front XP12's... left side almost down to forward rivet. right side, worn to just above rivets. Cracked left front rotor on way home, right front rotor, spyder-webbed.

Rear XP10's ~ 75 percent life left. OEM cheese-grater rotors look fine.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Joe, you know I like and support you, but you also know you are in the minority.

If Carbos work for you, great!!! Go kick some T-1 butt.

Frank Gonzalez

Yes on both counts! I think you are hitting the nail on the head with the second statement also, go with what works for you. I've always said this, I really think everyone should try different tires, brakes, alignments etc. when possible. Yes there may be a "testbook" items or setup that works but at our levels ( not Lances ) differences in driving style are complimented by different parts and setups. Finding what works for you is the most important thing. I was on DTC-70's early last year, when my skill level certainly was not what it is today. At the time I didn't like them, it was something i really could not put my finger on either, so I made the switch. It's been Carb's ever since. I have a pretty open mind though, this winter I might try them again and see if things have changed, see if they compliment my current skill/driving style. Who knows!

And Frank, as always, thanks for your support. It's supportive friends like you that keep make me want to keep digging for my first National win! Cya at VIR buddy!

Joe
Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Does anyone have an opinion on the PFC 01 pads?
Thanks.

Bob
Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06 Bob
Does anyone have an opinion on the PFC 01 pads?
Thanks.

Bob
i used them before carbotechs. they wear slightly better, but not near as long as the wilwoods.

don't know how hawks fit in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Not happy w/ the longevity of Carbotech XP12s... this is after 1 event, input?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I posted up about the 12's before also...mine look worse than Wally's after two days on VIR Full. Rotor life was GREAT (they outlast the pads), but pad life is a JOKE! I'm back to H's - will see how fast the rotors crack this time around.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Ugh... I'm going to use the carbotechs for the first day at VIR in sept, then most likely throw the H's back in... then keep on w/ the H's.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Wow, we're running into the same issues again Brian.

I ran new XP12/XP10's at Grattan a few weeks back with NASA, and Grattan isn't anything like VIR on brake abuse.

Still, my XP12's look almost as worn as yours and I'm also disappointed. I was happy with my pedal, but it's getting long now after 2.5 days total. I thought I was the only one, that is was maybe just my own fault for diving in too deep.

I'll be looking at the DTC70's next round. Sounds like Carbotech is far too pricey to run considering what little life you get. I got pretty solid life out of my XP9(discontinued)/8 combo FWIW.

I'm thinking about just selling these to recoup some $$ and getting the Hawks.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 06-29-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Not happy w/ the longevity of Carbotech XP12s... this is after 1 event, input?