Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How GM racing does turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default How GM racing does turbos

OK it's a drag car, but still pretty impressive!

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/life...omotive/38350/
The main highlights of our Chevy Cobalt would have to be the performance of the car. To date the car has been a 7.3et @ 198 MPH, during the NHRA event at Englishtown, NJ. The car is powered by a 4 cylinder ECOtec engine that creates 1400 hp @ 60 psi. The team has decided to run a GT 45 from Precision Turbo. In the near future, the Pro car has the potential of running 7.0 @ over 200 MPH.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWD. I think I just caught gay. Doesn't matter how much hp. Great, now I want a Red Bull, too. 7-11 time.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe
I think I just caught gay.
Sorry, but what did you think of the car
Old 06-29-2007, 04:10 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I'm not into drag racing or FWD cars, but it's still pretty damn impressive!

It cracks me up that they still call it an "ecotech" motor when I'm sure there's nothing "eco" about it!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

VEDDY INTERRESTING!!!

Just a couple of observations....

The went to the "Audi - Anteater" kind of layout to get some more weight ahead of the front wheels. Rear drive drag cars are built tall to get more weight transferred to the rear wheels. Front drivers are built low and try to get more weight forward to start with...

BIG TURBO with a big pressure ratio.... PR of around 4 bars is a pretty stout turbo...very cool
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

FWD They are getting to be slingshot dragsters with two sets of wheelie bars and no front wheels. When will those kids grow up and take a physics class? I'm not faulting the guys that built it. You do what you need to for the best performance within the rules. It's just anyone who thinks FWD is the way to race really needs a basic dose of physics. That turbo is nearly as big as the engine, wow.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by burners
FWD They are getting to be slingshot dragsters with two sets of wheelie bars and no front wheels. When will those kids grow up and take a physics class? I'm not faulting the guys that built it. You do what you need to for the best performance within the rules. It's just anyone who thinks FWD is the way to race really needs a basic dose of physics. That turbo is nearly as big as the engine, wow.
Good observation, and all true....

I remember when a AA/F slingshot called the Chizzler broke the 200 mph "barrier" in the 1/4 mile... That was a bid deal, and it was running around a 7 second run to do it.. Now we have front drivers going that fast, and real top fuel cars doing close to 350 mph in four and a half seconds.... F still equals MxA (at least it did the last time I looked), but what some of these cars are doing is still pretty amazing...
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will disagree with you!!! When a RWD car losses traction more weight is put on to the front wheels only making the problem worse. When a FWD car losses traction more weight is placed on the drive wheels. Why do you think FWD do well against the RWD cars.

Randy
PS The fastest think on our dyno was a 4 banger, 2.0 liters of fire I don't know the horsepower because it maxed it out before he started running high boost.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I will disagree with you!!! When a RWD car losses traction more weight is put on to the front wheels only making the problem worse. When a FWD car losses traction more weight is placed on the drive wheels.
Yea, all true, but which car is putting down more power in the first place? If you really think that fwd is better for the track how come so few big power cars are fwd? The reason is that to get a reasonable amount of power down, you are going to need more than 60% of the weight on the front wheels, and if you try to make a car steer and accelerate with that much weight on the front wheels they quickly become overloaded which = termiinal understeer..... RWD with a slight rear weight bias is the fastest way around any track or down a 1/4 mile....

GM did a fwd Camaro program in the late 70's and they learned a lot about high performance fwd. They ended up with a massively wide car that had huge front tires and about 60% of the weight on the front axle and as much rear roll stiffness as you could get. According to a friend of mine who did the dynamics on the car, it "handled", but the throttle off characteristics were downright "spooky"...

The bottom line was that if you want to have a high power/weight ratio fwd simply isn't a good idea.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Six great ways of going 200 mph. The people that build and go over the 200 mph know what they are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeK_aFU0dYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umAtmclayE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdA0pzxQ-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7NknqfY0C8
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That one is pretty cool!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Fast is fast....damn.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Except for the spectators right next to the road!

Get notified of new replies

To How GM racing does turbos

Quick Reply: How GM racing does turbos