Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a new wirring/roar developing, where to check first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default I have a new wirring/roar developing, where to check first?

Yesterday tooling around for the 4th w/ my GF in the car was the first time I've hit the highway w/ the windows up and AC on since returning from VIR a few weeks back.

I hadn't driven the car since VIR as I was swapping wheel studs that were damaged and returning the car to street use. I took the car out Tuesday night "bar hopping" w/ some buddies but had the stereo up and the windows down. I heard nothing.

Yesterday I most defineately hear a new noise. It's is speed related and not load related or gear related.

I have had a differential go bad and it started moaning badly but would only do it under load, easy to replicate.

I have had wheel bearing start to roar, but those go away when you slalom the car side to side and load them.

I do have my RF tire chorded on the inside and am getting a replacement, but the noise sounded like it was rear.

I haven't changed the dif fluid since summer '05, I've run 5 HPDEs since then, and I changed my trans fluid last summer (well trans was rebuilt after 3rd gear synchros gave out).

My first idea is to simply swap the trans/dif fluid which I need to do before my September HPDE anyway.

Where else should I look? I replaced my front hub/bearings in March '06 and one of the rears was replaced under warranty back in '04 I think, so one is still original OEM.

The car is on Goodyear Supercars... they aren't directional, should I maybe swap the right for the left?

I'm going to check for any FOD in the tires too.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I've frequently screwed up hearing front vs. rear noise. Based on what you've done, my first guess would be tires. Esp. since one is corded already, get those replaced and see if the noise goes away/changes.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I hope your right... I guess my big concern is the dif going south... last time it was covered under warranty, now I don't have one

I need to change the fluids anyway, so I can do that when I pull the RF wheel to go get a new tire put on.

We'll see. My overly-nervous fear is that I messed up the RR wheel bearing when futzing with it replacing the wheel stud and grinding that hole in the parking brake backing plate.

Again, we'll see.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your parking brake spring...I vaguely remember that happening to the z06 before...heard a noise in the rear, thought it was the diff (again) and turned out to be the parking brake. Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
We'll see. My overly-nervous fear is that I messed up the RR wheel bearing when futzing with it replacing the wheel stud and grinding that hole in the parking brake backing plate.
That'd be my first guess.

For me, whenever I hear a roaring noise, it's almost always a bearing starting to go bad. See my post (and attached video) about the Roebling Results and you'll know just how fast they can go REALLY bad.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1747778

Last edited by wtknght1; 07-05-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Check your parking brake spring...I vaguely remember that happening to the z06 before...heard a noise in the rear, thought it was the diff (again) and turned out to be the parking brake. Just a thought.
What exactly happened? What did you change/adjust?
Originally Posted by wtknght1
That'd be my first guess.

For me, whenever I hear a roaring noise, it's almost always a bearing starting to go bad. See my post (and attached video) about the Roebling Results and you'll know just how fast they can go REALLY bad.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1747778
That's nuts! I'll most definately keep an eye/ear out for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you hit/hammered the stud out with the hub mounted you may have damaged the bearing.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I tapped it very lightly... didn't take much force at all to get it comming out.

But... I confirmed tonight it's the wheel bearing. When I slalom the car back and froth hard the noise goes away evertime I go left and load the right side of the ar.

I'm going to replace both rear wheel bearings, they're due.

Get notified of new replies

To I have a new wirring/roar developing, where to check first?

Quick Reply: I have a new wirring/roar developing, where to check first?