Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nurburgring and Phadt coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Nurburgring and Phadt coil overs

anyone want to advice and guess a good setting ?

I am going to Hell (green Hell) august 5th through august 9th, then drive 1000 miles back to East Norway and join friends on a private rented track.

I have Phadt and stock sway bars.
Nurburgring will be on stock tires, The other track will be on Hoosiers.

So i has to compromise on my Camber setting
maybe -2 negative front and -1.5 rear, caster 7, slight toe out rear and neutral or slight toe in front

But most av all i wonder how i should set here up for Nurburgring?

Any advice ?

tia

Rune
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off, you lucky bastard

and for settings, most people run them around 6-7 on the street, be sure to ask on the C6 Z06 section, seems alot of guys there are starting to run and track the Pfadts, have fun!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think you want toe OUT in the rear, it can cause snap oversteer.. I run a bit of toe IN on the rear on the track.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

1. JVettehead is right about the toe. None to a little toe out in the front and toe in at the back

Have you ever been to the ring?

assuming the answer is no, it won't matter what you set them at. The reality of the ring is that you'll spend all your time just learning the turns, or you'll be one of the rookies that ends up in a wall because you didn't know about the blind left just past that hill, while a 15-year-old VW Golf with primer paint goes flying past you.

if you know the ring already (X-box and playstation don't count), I would suggest a bit softer than what you would normally use on a modern, smooth race track.

good luck and enjoy the trip. If you haven't seen it already check out www.nurburgring.org.uk for some good info
Old 07-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lancer033
1. JVettehead is right about the toe. None to a little toe out in the front and toe in at the back

Have you ever been to the ring?

assuming the answer is no, it won't matter what you set them at. The reality of the ring is that you'll spend all your time just learning the turns, or you'll be one of the rookies that ends up in a wall because you didn't know about the blind left just past that hill, while a 15-year-old VW Golf with primer paint goes flying past you.

if you know the ring already (X-box and playstation don't count), I would suggest a bit softer than what you would normally use on a modern, smooth race track.

good luck and enjoy the trip. If you haven't seen it already check out www.nurburgring.org.uk for some good info
Thanks, and no this is my first time, and i am nervous as hell

I have toe in rear and slight out in front, my mistake :-)

I am running 7 on my Phadts on street, planned 12 or 13 on a race track, but maybe settle for 10 around the ring ?
or softer ?

thanks again

Rune
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would suggest a front toe setting closer to zero for high speed. Toe-out enhances turn-in, but reduces high speed stability and increases tire wear when combined with lots of negative camber.

If your toe-out is near zero... well, forget what I just said. Have fun
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I suggest no more than -1.4 rear camber, about -2.0 in the front, zero toe in the front and 1/8 inch (or more) toe-in in the rear. The bushing deflections are very large and you have to have the rear toe-in so that under load the rear never goes toe out. If it goes toe-out, it will be very loose.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-11-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Thanks, and no this is my first time, and i am nervous as hell

I have toe in rear and slight out in front, my mistake :-)

I am running 7 on my Phadts on street, planned 12 or 13 on a race track, but maybe settle for 10 around the ring ?
or softer ?

thanks again

Rune
I don't know Phadts, so I can't recomend a specific setting, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Most important thing is that the car is stable and comfortable to drive because you won't/shouldn't be driving at the limit of the car.

On a good day, figure on getting 10-12 laps in unless you're a in excellent physical condition (and have deep pockets) then you'll still probably max out at 15-16. When you think you're good for "just 1 more lap," stop and take a break. There's 20.8km, over 80 official (mostly blind) turns, 330m of elevation changes, and little to no run-off for when you screw up. Expect to need 10-15 laps to start getting comfortable with the track layout, then another 15 until you think you know your way around. Don't even think about driving ***** out around the ring until you've got 100 laps under your belt.

Assuming that you'll be there on the weekend, find out exactly when the track opens and be there then. around mid-day it'll probably get pretty crowded, so take a break. Check out the museum down the street, then do back later in the afternoon when the crowd startes to die down and drive until it closes. If you can get there on a week day evening, that's the best time. You can almost get the track to yourself.

It's not hard on brakes, but I always put fresh fluid in just to be on the safe side (ATE Superblue/Type 200 was easy to find in Germany and never let me down)

The joke about the VW Golf is very true. A lot of people will get an old Golf, gut it, put a cage and safety equipment in it and use it as a "ring toy". The car may be a POS, but most of the people in those old, cheap cars have been driving the ring for years and know ever bump on the track, so they will pass you. Leave your ego at home and let them by.

relax, keep your head on your shoulders, drive smart and you'll be fine. The ring is dangerous, but the most fun and most rewarding driving in the world.

Last edited by Lancer033; 07-11-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Roy1
Instructor

Ditto on the advice from lancer. Also remember the words Schwedenkreuz and Adnauer Forst . Caution in these two areas are needed especially
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Roy1
Ditto on the advice from lancer. Also remember the words Schwedenkreuz and Adnauer Forst . Caution in these two areas are needed especially
Schwedenkreuz - high speed, left kink, break BEFORE the bump, then back on the gas. If you lift, you die

Adnauer Forst - coming up the hill leading to it, you see a nice gentle left hand turn, when you get up on it, you see how much it tightens up. by then it's too late to do anything, and you're in the grass. See picture

one last thing, no one is going to make you wear a helmet, but do yourself (and your family) a favor and put it on.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Jussi
Instructor

Using PS2 (GT4) or like to learn where the track goes does help...it doesn't replace or compare to actual track time but it helps.

Even people who have more than 4000 laps under their belt use it to test different lines...if you don't believe me ask Frank at the Altes Forsthaus.

I was there in June for my first time and with just knowing the track from the game I drove a very easy 9:32s lap on my first outing
(I took outer line on both carusells, big safety margin on corners and had some trafic) ..no tyre squel once!

I do believe that it also makes the whole experience safer...IF you use some sense....you know when its ok to overtake and when its not.

Jussi
Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Great tips, thanks.

The track will be closed for us a few days (i think), because we will learn track section by section.
Not really sure how things are going to work out, its my first time, i am part of a Norwegian BMW group, nice guys.
One guy grew up in my neighborhood when i was young, has not seen him in aloooong time, he has 3000 laps around the ring in a M3 CSL heavily modified.

Well i have a few more weeks to watch videos and try to learn the track a little before i go down.

And yes i will be careful , to many people die on that track, official number is lower, because if he lives when they take him to hospital, technically he did not die on track

regards
Rune

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring and Phadt coil overs

Quick Reply: Nurburgring and Phadt coil overs