Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racers:Transmission Blankets/Shields?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Racers:Transmission Blankets/Shields?

Do any of you road racers utilize safety blankets/shields or reinforce the bellhousing area.

Thanx in advance.

Ed
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes,
What a pain in the you know where. We did both, a sheild and blanket on a C6. The sheild was a piece of 3/8 mild steel about 4-5 inches wide. We had a local job shop bend to fit the shape of the bellhousing. Then we made some tabs and welded them on. We did three tabs and bolted it on.
Then the blanket, wow what a pain to make that all fit up in there. We just bought a SFI approved tranny blanet made some more tabs and used 2 bolts on the bellhousing too. It maybe be a pain to install and maintain the car, but I think the pain of a flywheel in the foot would be worse. If you are spinning the crap out of your motor then you should do something to slow down the bullet.

Randy
PS I couldn't find your sent e-mail today, my hotmail account erases them after about two days. But I will retype it in the AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I put that $250 blanket under the console (from underneath car) and it helps tremendously! Expensive but it works.

Oops, sorry,....I saw blanket and jumped all over that! Mine is for the heat! (never mind).....

Last edited by SouthernSon; 07-12-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: completely off target of original poster....
Old 07-12-2007, 12:28 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by southern_son
I put that $250 blanket under the console (from underneath car) and it helps tremendously! Expensive but it works.

Oops, sorry,....I saw blanket and jumped all over that! Mine is for the heat! (never mind).....

See what happens when you drive old people cars for fun.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I don't.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
See what happens when you drive old people cars for fun.
Ouch! that hurts....
Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I don't.
southern_son has been know for driving old people cars at the race track. Some full size ford with four doors and four people.

Randy
Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

southern_son has been know for driving old people cars at the race track. Some full size ford with four doors and four people.

Randy
Arte I think that's cool!!
Maybe not the passengers...but the lead sleds.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Yes,
What a pain in the you know where. We did both, a sheild and blanket on a C6. The sheild was a piece of 3/8 mild steel about 4-5 inches wide. We had a local job shop bend to fit the shape of the bellhousing. Then we made some tabs and welded them on. We did three tabs and bolted it on.
Then the blanket, wow what a pain to make that all fit up in there. We just bought a SFI approved tranny blanet made some more tabs and used 2 bolts on the bellhousing too. It maybe be a pain to install and maintain the car, but I think the pain of a flywheel in the foot would be worse. If you are spinning the crap out of your motor then you should do something to slow down the bullet.

Randy
PS I couldn't find your sent e-mail today, my hotmail account erases them after about two days. But I will retype it in the AM.

Thanx Randy! Can you tell me whose blanket you used? Safety both as a Firefighter and amateur racer is my first concern...especially since Murphy has been riding side saddle these last several years. If I'm going to have fun with the beast, I want to make sure all six side of safety are covered!

BTW haven't receive your email reply as yet...try my PM.

Thanx again---Ed
Old 07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Randy
Huh?? OK, who is working forums with SS for a user name!?! Really, I only know how to drive a vette...atleast sort of on a good day...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by southern_son
Huh?? OK, who is working forums with SS for a user name!?! Really, I only know how to drive a vette...atleast sort of on a good day...
Sorry I think maybe that was someone else that posted the video of them driving a Four door ford around the race track.

Sorry for the my mistake:o

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 07-12-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: I can't spell for crap
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

e-mail sent!!!
The best way of getting Murphy out of the car is to hold a checkered flag out the drivers side window for a lap. Murphy hates the sight of that flag. Murphy's loves the yellow flag, so avoid that at all cost.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Road Racers:Transmission Blankets/Shields?

Quick Reply: Road Racers:Transmission Blankets/Shields?