Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy RevItUp review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Chevy RevItUp review

From one of the lists I'm on
On 7/10/07, Ehsan Farkhondeh <ehsan.farkhondeh@gmail.com> wrote:

I just attended the San Francisco event. Overall it was well run. It was a two-hour drive each way and I was happy to do it.

I'm not sure about last year's Rev it Up setup, but this year, they were doing a "Corvette Shootout" at the end of each day. On Friday, they took the top 10 times in the Cobalts and did a shootout on the same course but in Corvettes. On Saturday (longer day) they took the top 25 folks. The winner got a two-day Bondurant driving school experience.

They had some practice courses that had both Corvettes and Cobalt's to drive so you could practice. My suggestion: Sign up for an afternoon run slot and show up in the morning. Take 6-12 runs in the Cobalt to learn the car (especially if you don't autox a FWD) then go and lay down a blistering run on the course. Our course had a ~26 second pro index so it was quite short, though that may have been due to the Alameda NAS site.

The corvette shootout started at 9:30 pm and is held under lights so it has a cool atmosphere. The lines were all manageable for the most part.

I know the NER folk are quite good at their autoxing so would suggest at least a few of you make the trip.

-Ehsan
Northern California NER chapter
Winners at the end of the season get to compete to win a C6 Corvette.
http://www.revitup.com/
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
From one of the lists I'm on

Winners at the end of the season get to compete to win a C6 Corvette.
http://www.revitup.com/

The winner of this event and several of the other top ten finishers are all local CalClub auto-x'ers. The car that one at El Toro evidently won one of the other Rev-it-ups as I understand and another local guy won one of the others. I read this on the local auto-x forum, but I have not verified by checking the results. I think their names are Tom Berry, Steve O’Blenes and Ryan.

Some other SCCA auto-x guy has won two Corvettes in this competition I hear.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm signed up on the first day in one of the first groups for my event... Nothing like burning off a fresh set of tires
Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
johnei
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this last year at Chicago, but it isn't being offered here again this year.

I also just read Audi is doing a similar test drive thing, although not a competition. One choice is to drive some of their normal cars around. The other option is paying $600 for some track time with an instructor in a RS4 and a R8. Tempting but I'm not sure if track time at autobahn in a R8 is worth it.

What do you all think? Will my car forgive me if I go drive the R8?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd definitely do Autobahn with Audi.

The R8 may not be on the same performance level of the new Z06... however, it'd be fantastic to experience the difference of a mid-engined high horsepower car.

Car and Driver just did a lightning Lap article in which the R8 was one of the shootout cars. It was 13 seconds off the Z06's best lap time at the VIR grand course. However, if someone will let you drive it to redline on Autobahn, I'd be there without a doubt. Wish it were closer.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM
johnei
Racer

Yes I actually went out and bought a copy of the C&D magazine that had that lightning lap article.

I've driven an NSX a little and an Elise for 2 days but neither were on the track. A R8 could be fun. I don't know what it would be like though, whether they'd turn you loose with an instructor or have you doing spirited laps behind a pace car.

They are doing the event twice in five different locations. Miami, Chicago, NY, LA, SF.

http://www.audidrivingexperience.com/?id=1&area=home
Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did the revitup thing this year and almost placed first for the event. there was a thread in the norcal section about it. My sob story is in there on the second page.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1742348
Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 PM
johnei
Racer

Well I took off work and went down to Autobahn for the first time for this event. It did rain a fair amount for the first few hours but that just added to the fun. The R8 is a fun car, I wish I could have gotten another session. The RS4 is heavy. I have no need for an Audi anytime soon though (as far as I know). About 70% of the time we spent doing various drills in A4s and TTs, which was fun, but I was mainly there to take a R8 out on a track. Actually the rain made it a bit easier to get the car sideways some of the time and it seemed very easy to drive.

Last edited by johnei; 08-21-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy RevItUp review

Quick Reply: Chevy RevItUp review