Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosiers R6

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Hoosiers R6

Put the R6 on my car this week at WGI because I heard a lot of good things about them.

At first I had to say I was very disappointed. The car was all over the place and it seemed that they needed forever to warm up. After 3 sessions and some help from Matt (95Jersey) regarding tire pressure my mind started to change.

The Hoosiers seemed to stick better than the Kumhos I was running and the bigger advantage was they were more consistant throughout a session (the Kumhos were good at the beginning of a session, but got slippery at the end).

Now I wonder how many track days they will last.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Put the R6 on my car this week at WGI because I heard a lot of good things about them.

At first I had to say I was very disappointed. The car was all over the place and it seemed that they needed forever to warm up. After 3 sessions and some help from Matt (95Jersey) regarding tire pressure my mind started to change.

The Hoosiers seemed to stick better than the Kumhos I was running and the bigger advantage was they were more consistant throughout a session (the Kumhos were good at the beginning of a session, but got slippery at the end).

I run my C6Z R6s at 30F, 26R hot. They seem to like those pressures, although most T-1 guys run them at lower pressures.

My R6s are 18 months old now and have about 40 heat cycles. They don't grip like new ones, but they are just fine for HPDE work.

I also made the switch from Kumho 710s and have never looked back.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Rear Engine
Advanced

For me in my 2,725 lb, 260 Fwhp 911, I get about 15 good HCs, then about another slower 10 and they are toast.

From shaved RA-1s, they took 1 second off my best Summit Point time and .....4 seconds (yes 4) off my best VIR time. Part of that was getting my suspension set up, but still not sure why it was that much.

About 3 years on RA-1s and just finished up my 2nd set of hohos. They are crack.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I run around 28-29 cold and love them...about 20 heat cycles on this set and hope to get at least two more weekends out of them. I will buy them again!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I run my C6Z R6s at 30F, 26R hot. They seem to like those pressures, although most T-1 guys run them at lower pressures.

My R6s are 18 months old now and have about 40 heat cycles. They don't grip like new ones, but they are just fine for HPDE work.

I also made the switch from Kumho 710s and have never looked back.

Frank Gonzalez
Man, that seems low. I ran Kumho 710's at those temps and they loved it, but Hoosiers seem to like about 40 hot for most people I know that run them. The last gen tires (R3S05's) liked even more pressure.

I tire probed mine last weekend during a few sessions, and they were all even across the tire at that pressure. Grip was even and strong even after about 8 HC.

Have you tried higher pressues and found 30/26 to work better?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

What pressure did you start with and what did you drop it to??
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Man, that seems low. I ran Kumho 710's at those temps and they loved it, but Hoosiers seem to like about 40 hot for most people I know that run them. The last gen tires (R3S05's) liked even more pressure.

I tire probed mine last weekend during a few sessions, and they were all even across the tire at that pressure. Grip was even and strong even after about 8 HC.

Have you tried higher pressues and found 30/26 to work better?
The new R6 and A6 tires run at lower pressures than the previous DOT-R Hoosiers.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Rear Engine
For me in my 2,725 lb, 260 Fwhp 911, I get about 15 good HCs, then about another slower 10 and they are toast.

From shaved RA-1s, they took 1 second off my best Summit Point time and .....4 seconds (yes 4) off my best VIR time. Part of that was getting my suspension set up, but still not sure why it was that much.

About 3 years on RA-1s and just finished up my 2nd set of hohos. They are crack.
I had similar results with the 710s (from VRL Hoosiers) at VIR, it is like crack!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

R6 is miles ahead of Khumo. I run 40 hot.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
R6 is miles ahead of Khumo. I run 40 hot.

At Miller Motorsports I was told by the guys from Hoosier/Dealer to aim for 32-34 hot....
Old 07-18-2007, 11:18 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I talked to the tech guy at Hoosier before I ordered some of the VRLs they had from the 06 Rolex series. He said 38-40 hot in the front and maybe 36-38 hot in the rear. I also asked about the R6 since I had a used set with only a couple of sessions on them. He said the same thing. This is mainly because I only have -2.0 of camber in the front. He said the R6 doesn't cord so easy on camber challenged cars like the R4 and R5 did. But you still have to keep the pressures high and flip them after a couple of weekends.

One thing they told me and it is on their website. They have an optimum pressure and at that pressure they might feel slippery but don't drop pressures to fix that. Learn how to drive them. They did recommend using a pyrometer to find the exact pressure you need for your setup. But 38-40 hot was a safe place to be if you could only check pressure.

I ran both on VIR Full and the Rolex tires worked pretty well at 40/38, but felt a bit greasy towards the end of the session. The R6 during the same weekend worked very well at 38/36 hot. Temps were about 90 degrees. About a 30 minute session.

I like the R6 better than the Rolex tires. We'll see how long each set lasts...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
One thing they told me and it is on their website. They have an optimum pressure and at that pressure they might feel slippery but don't drop pressures to fix that. Learn how to drive them. They did recommend using a pyrometer to find the exact pressure you need for your setup. But 38-40 hot was a safe place to be if you could only check pressure.
I had a lock up and flat spotted an R6. I threw on an old R3S05 I had in the trailer and proved the points above regarding old vs new. I set both fronts to 36 cold. After the session the R6 was at 40 psi and temps were even across the tire. The older tire was cold in the middle and needed a bit more air. It was even the driver side, which gets more work at M-O as it's mostly right handers.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Bink
What pressure did you start with and what did you drop it to??
I started cold around 30 and they heated to 37. They were just to slippery and I started to let air out until I got down to 31 which felt good.

I ran front and back the same so next time out I will make sure the backs are lower than the fronts and see what happens.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

At VIR I was running the old Hoosiers in a 275/35/18 square.
Seemed to like 43/40 hot
Once these are toast............R6s for sure
tire pressure is key
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I think lots of ppl like the pressures differnt

the New R or A 6s like low 30s hot it that much.

The old VRLs get reall greasy above 34 hot.

I run those 30 front and 29 rear cold.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I started cold around 30 and they heated to 37. They were just to slippery and I started to let air out until I got down to 31 which felt good.

I ran front and back the same so next time out I will make sure the backs are lower than the fronts and see what happens.
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R6's rock! But every car is different and you just need to keep playing with the pressures. I will say that compared to previous generation Hoosier, the R6 likes lower air pressure, almost like a Kuhmo. At least when the day is done, you can look at them and not see splits running from side to side...definately not a comfortable feeling at a track like the Glen.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

It also depends on how good the suspension is. If you are using the tire as a suspension system then it will run hotter due to the sidewall hysteresis (flexing). At PRI last year both the Hoosier rep and the Moton (shocks) rep said that at the runoffs they were running about 32 hot. With the shocks setup correctly they were able to run 2 PSI higher cold pressures and achieve the same hot pressures.

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosiers R6

Quick Reply: Hoosiers R6