Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racers Tape?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Racers Tape?

I bought some to use for numbering and other stuff. Ive used painted tape that worked great and didnt harm the paint, but I got the colored racers tape which is duct tape. Anyone try racers tape or duct tape? I just want to make sure it wont hurt my paint. Worst case Ill do painters tape under it
Old 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do painters tape under it. At best the racers tape will leave adhesive all over, at worst it'll lift questionable paint with it.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you are going to use that kind of tape you should put a piece of clear shelf paper under it. Duct tape is plain nasty, and it isn't meant to come off.

The shelf paper will come off easily and is a lot better idea. If you want to cut numbers out of it that is even better.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Duct tape will leave a lot of residue. Especially if it gets hot in the sun. A little shot of WD-40 and a swipe with a rag takes the residue off pretty easily.

If you're going to run with the Carolina guys regularly you might want to go ahead and get the reuseable numbers. Lots of places sell them, the one I use is http://solotime.com/

Or if you have the patience to cut them out you can get the removeable contact paper at Walmart and use that. It's super cheap for a huge roll. Only downside is cutting out the numbers by hand unless you get a set of stencils to outline with first. I tried that route and I just don't have the patience for it.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is too short

And I am too lazy to wipe off cone marks, I view them as badges of honor----

So I use black 2" duct tape to add my "1", when I have a co-driver, and when we switch I just put the duct tape on my trunk.

And yes there is a glue like residue, if fact it may possibly be due to the duct tape---if fact I think it is----

I think I like it. It gives the paint a unique 3 dimensional effect----same with dirty wheels and filthy rocker panels-----kinda makes my car stand out. (wait it stands out anyway looking like a 4x4)
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

for numbers, I just buy a huge roll of black contact paper. It sticks well, leaves no residue, and is cheap. It isn't really flexible enough for paint protection, but it is perfect for numbers, striping, etc.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Usually duct tape will work for a day or so. If you leave it on longer than that you will get a lot of adhesive residue. If you have a spot on the car where the paint was repaired you can easily test how well the repair was done by putting some duct tape over it and letting it sit for 3 or 4 days. It will pull improperly applied paint (especially clear coat) right off the car. It will not bother the factory finish or a properly performed repair.

Bill
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Just got back from Walmart Got some clear contact paper..they only had clear, wood grain, and a few marbles. So ill put that down then the duct tape numbers over it. If that doesnt work Ill try painters tape and then duct tape, or worst case just the blue painters tape.

Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by B-rent
Just got back from Walmart Got some clear contact paper..they only had clear, wood grain, and a few marbles. So ill put that down then the duct tape numbers over it. If that doesnt work Ill try painters tape and then duct tape, or worst case just the blue painters tape.

Thanks guys
OK, here's your solution

Walmart, Avery Label #3383 Sticker Project Paper in 8 1/2"
X11" sheets. Then call up your Word Art program and you'll find numbers that you can fatten up the outline of and even use an infill color if you want. I carry a whole set and just cut out the ones I need if they haven't told me my number before I get to the track. This stuff goes on easy, stays on at speed even in the rain, and comes off in a second with no messy residue. It ends up making very professional looking numbers.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Last C5
OK, here's your solution

Walmart, Avery Label #3383 Sticker Project Paper in 8 1/2"
X11" sheets. Then call up your Word Art program and you'll find numbers that you can fatten up the outline of and even use an infill color if you want. I carry a whole set and just cut out the ones I need if they haven't told me my number before I get to the track. This stuff goes on easy, stays on at speed even in the rain, and comes off in a second with no messy residue. It ends up making very professional looking numbers.

Thats awesome, ill go this weekend and see if I can find some

Get notified of new replies

To Racers Tape?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racers Tape?