Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Gears? Shenandoah Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Gears? Shenandoah Circuit

Got a question for anyone that has driven Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point. I have never driven Shenandoah Circuit and was curious to what gears are used on this tight circuit. I drove VIR's 3.27 mile full course and only used 3rd and 4th gear shifting 6 times per lap. This was in a C6 Z06. I'll be driving the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point on October 6 & 7 for the first time. Appreciate any input on this.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Shenandoah circuit depending on the layout run is a 2,3 & 4th gear or a 3 & 4th gear circuit. When the pit road part of the circuit is run you will need 3 gears. I assume that you are running the TrackDaze event. They are not going to use the pit straight which cuts out the two slowest turns on the circuit so you won't need 2nd. You will not be turning the RPM in each gear that you would at VIR, but your HP and torque will move you through just fine. Smoothness not brute HP counts most on this circuit. Several Vettes will be there. We plan on parking and camping on the area behind the skid pad. Come join us.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks CHJ In Virginia. Good info, see ya there.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

One last question. Looks like, by looking at a circuit map, I could get into 4th gear two times a lap, on the two major straights. Anyone that has driven Shenandoah Circuit, can you confirm this or tell me otherwise? I am calling turn 8 to 10 and turn 16 to 17 straights. May have to ease up a bit on turn 9 but still in 4th.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by USA1C5
One last question. Looks like, by looking at a circuit map, I could get into 4th gear two times a lap, on the two major straights. Anyone that has driven Shenandoah Circuit, can you confirm this or tell me otherwise? I am calling turn 8 to 10 and turn 16 to 17 straights. May have to ease up a bit on turn 9 but still in 4th.
This is certainly true for the C5 Z06, where I leave it in third except for those two exact places. "9" is the kink near the bridge; it's flat out, don't worrry about it. You just need to be careful about where you place the car.

It's a great course that rewards precision.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input JiminVirginia
Anybody else with input on Shenandoah Circuit would be appreciated for I'm prepairing for the event in a few weeks.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

3rd gear all the way through until back straight, stay in 3rd the whole time. If all works well, you should be lapping in the 1:56 range (with the pit straight). bang the limited in 3rd going uphill, any faster you will be catching air over the hill, not worth it.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a video of my run at Shenandoah in my 'lil Track Rat ('93 Celica GT) - gives you a good overview of the track, line, etc.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=12263221

Get notified of new replies

To What Gears? Shenandoah Circuit

Quick Reply: What Gears? Shenandoah Circuit