Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how you guys do at barber.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Default So how you guys do at barber.

I'm not really sure what a good lap time is at barber and also need some pointers on a few turns there. I had a great time, definitely my second favorite track to Road Atlanta now, I think I might be ready to be in a faster group than novice though .

Turns:

4, can anyone stay on it the whole time here? I tried the first session I turned my PSM (TC) off and almost lost it even with an instructor in the car, I may be pinching the wheel (only using 3/4's of straight to track out) too much and not using all of the track but it seems like I wont make it back across in time for 5 if I do.

8, seems like there are different lines taken here too, I spent all day basically rounding the whole curb with a jerk of the wheel at the bottom of the kink (which was fun) and the car just whipped around the curb. But later I tried only going about halfway around and tracking out much earlier and it seemed faster. Thoughts?

9,10 Anyone brake for this? found myself coasting and taking the turn at speed and back on gas, but some people brake, does that help?

13 Tap brakes at 12, or take at speed going over the hill?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm not really sure what a good lap time is at barber and also need some pointers on a few turns there.
Glad you enjoyed "my" track (in my backyard anyway)! A "good lap time" at Barber is completely relative, I guess. If it was your first time, I'd say anything around 1:55-2:00 is pretty good. What was your best?

Turns:

4, can anyone stay on it the whole time here? I tried the first session I turned my PSM (TC) off and almost lost it even with an instructor in the car, I may be pinching the wheel (only using 3/4's of straight to track out) too much and not using all of the track but it seems like I wont make it back across in time for 5 if I do.
You will (make it back across in time). The main thing w/ 4 is to make sure you don't pinch it, esp. when carrying more and more speed. If you do, you'll be getting a nice 360° view of that straight. Let the car track out to the left (I tell my students to aim for the scoring/clock tower) until it settles, then bring back across to the right. Also, it will help you keep the car under control if you short-shift to 4th going up the hill. You will not lose any significant time by doing this. And yes, you can stay in the gas the whole time here...as long as you track all the way out.

8, seems like there are different lines taken here too, I spent all day basically rounding the whole curb with a jerk of the wheel at the bottom of the kink (which was fun) and the car just whipped around the curb. But later I tried only going about halfway around and tracking out much earlier and it seemed faster. Thoughts?
One key to 8 (bottom of the "Corkscrew") is to make sure you straighten out at the top. So, make your turn-in, then straighten out so that you go right across the concrete on the left. This sets you up far enough to the left that you have a better line coming out of the right-hander at the bottom. Plus, you can actually get back on the gas for a split second after turn-in, then back on the brakes. Definitely don't want to pinch it in at the bottom, as it takes too long to build speed back up. Try making a slightly abrupt steering input to the right to get the car to rotate (sounds like you may already be), but then let it track out as you build speed.

9,10 Anyone brake for this? found myself coasting and taking the turn at speed and back on gas, but some people brake, does that help?
At the "Kink"...NO. After exiting the Corkscrew, run up thru 3rd, upshift, then feather the throttle to maintain a constant speed (probably around 80-90, but adjust as you feel comfortable) as you enter the Kink. I prefer a more pronounced 'S' maneuver thru here, as it feels like the car takes a set better and you can make sure not to early apex the right-hand exit (doing so runs the risk of pushing you into the grass on the outside...not good).

13 Tap brakes at 12, or take at speed going over the hill?
Only braking you need thru the "Tunnel Turn" is your initial turn-in and downshift off of the back straight. That's assuming that you're hugging the left after turn-in to set up for the right-hand climbing of the hill. I prefer this method as the late apex you get means you're climbing the hill straight, and not trying to cut across it while turning (and potentially visiting the grass on the left). Once you're straight cresting the hill, you can get back on the gas for a second, then let off as you descend, and roll in across that long concrete patch on the right.

I'm in the process of capturing some video and making QuickTime movies now. I'll post links to them shortly. Glad you had fun, and it was awesome to see SO MANY Vettes out there. I don't think I've ever seen that many at a Barber event, much less that many C6Zs in one place!

Fred
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Here's a QuickTime vid of my best recorded lap to date, a 1:43.70:

http://homepage.mac.com/fredo/barber...p_1m43.70s.mov

And another one of a fun run between David Leonard in his brother's gnarly Mustang, Rob Morrison (the chief instructor) in a hopped up '00FRC, and myself. Just listen to the symphony of engine noises!

http://homepage.mac.com/fredo/barber...ve_&_Rob_M.mov
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

[/B]
Originally Posted by fhturner
Glad you enjoyed "my" track (in my backyard anyway)! A "good lap time" at Barber is completely relative, I guess. If it was your first time, I'd say anything around 1:55-2:00 is pretty good. What was your best?

Well I pick up things pretty fast and I'm a pretty agressive driver, I think I picked up on barber faster than I have any track, I still know what people I should be close to and I didnt get as close as I'd like to have, I was in novice the whole day and me and a Red GT3 were lapping pretty much everyone save a couple every few laps, nothing close to a clean lap, I then ended up in blue group with the master instructor testing me, I passed 5 or 6 people then, but my best time up until that point was a 1:44.6, I skipped most of the last green session to try and get a good run for the last open session and got to grid first, did about 4 good clean laps my best time was a 1:41.8, I ran two 1:42's, so I guess I wasnt bad, but I realized during that time that being in the novice group hurt me because I wasnt carrying speed into and out of corners well enough (traffic) to do them properly so I learned a lot on the last three laps

You will (make it back across in time). The main thing w/ 4 is to make sure you don't pinch it, esp. when carrying more and more speed. If you do, you'll be getting a nice 360° view of that straight. Let the car track out to the left (I tell my students to aim for the scoring/clock tower) until it settles, then bring back across to the right. Also, it will help you keep the car under control if you short-shift to 4th going up the hill. You will not lose any significant time by doing this. And yes, you can stay in the gas the whole time here...as long as you track all the way out.I guess I was a little timid there being it is so blind, I hit the apex well enough, but even after several laps I would still be letting off for a spolit second because I didnt think the track was wide enough, but it always much wider than the speed I was carrying

One key to 8 (bottom of the "Corkscrew") is to make sure you straighten out at the top. So, make your turn-in, then straighten out so that you go right across the concrete on the left. This sets you up far enough to the left that you have a better line coming out of the right-hander at the bottom. Plus, you can actually get back on the gas for a split second after turn-in, then back on the brakes. Definitely don't want to pinch it in at the bottom, as it takes too long to build speed back up. Try making a slightly abrupt steering input to the right to get the car to rotate (sounds like you may already be), but then let it track out as you build speed.

I did straighten up there, but probably tried to hug the inside line too long, I guess because it felt so good and fast, but after trying the other way, I'm sure you are right about it taking too long to build speed back up, especially when you have a turbo car and some lag

At the "Kink"...NO. After exiting the Corkscrew, run up thru 3rd, upshift, then feather the throttle to maintain a constant speed (probably around 80-90, but adjust as you feel comfortable) as you enter the Kink. I prefer a more pronounced 'S' maneuver thru here, as it feels like the car takes a set better and you can make sure not to early apex the right-hand exit (doing so runs the risk of pushing you into the grass on the outside...not good).
I saw a video of Patrick Long and he instructed to brake there, that's why I asked, but the way you describe, is the way I did it, thanks.

Only braking you need thru the "Tunnel Turn" is your initial turn-in and downshift off of the back straight. That's assuming that you're hugging the left after turn-in to set up for the right-hand climbing of the hill. I prefer this method as the late apex you get means you're climbing the hill straight, and not trying to cut across it while turning (and potentially visiting the grass on the left). Once you're straight cresting the hill, you can get back on the gas for a second, then let off as you descend, and roll in across that long concrete patch on the right.

I felt good on this turn maybe 3 times out of the whole day, all the rest I felt like I was either scrubbing speed, or going too fast to where I had to struggle to keep the outside tire from touching the grass, I started dabbing the brakes but I couldnt find the right spot to do so, so I ended up wider than I would have liked or too tight and using too much of the raise in the curb, I'd like to ride with someone to see how they do it.

I'm in the process of capturing some video and making QuickTime movies now. I'll post links to them shortly. Glad you had fun, and it was awesome to see SO MANY Vettes out there. I don't think I've ever seen that many at a Barber event, much less that many C6Zs in one place!

You're right, though I wasnt in my vette (selling), I was in my 911 TT

Fred
I think I was a little aprehensive because I drove Roebling and couldnt even get in the teens and felt very uncomfy (bad, bad instructor) and since that was the first track I had done (well other than talladega GP) other than Road Atlanta (1:35), I began to think I was a one track wonder, but I think with more practice I can be in the high-mid 1:30's at barber, got some weight coming out of the car too (about 200 lbs over the winter) so that should help.

Thanks for the input I didnt know who was who since there were in fact so many vettes out there, ended up meeting varkswo though.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by heavychevy
[/B] did about 4 good clean laps my best time was a 1:41.8, I ran two 1:42's, so I guess I wasnt bad,
I would say not bad at all for your first time at the place...good Lord! I guess that video of mine can serve as a slow-mo refresher for you. Now that my car is running pretty well, I've dropped a second at each of the last 2 events, so my gains are only gradual. A 1:41 the first time out...I wanna know what you're having for breakfast!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

I would say not bad at all for your first time at the place...good Lord! I guess that video of mine can serve as a slow-mo refresher for you. Now that my car is running pretty well, I've dropped a second at each of the last 2 events, so my gains are only gradual. A 1:41 the first time out...I wanna know what you're having for breakfast!
LOL I had a great instructor and a good feel for the track (rode with the black TT 350 Z the day before, and a few parade laps in a chipped 335i), being in novice did me good to an extent. My car is fast (996 Turbo S, exhaust, ECU, Sport Cups, coilovers), and I know it pretty well, I'm also fairly aggressive and learning to be smooth, in fact I'm getting pretty good at it. I'm not a noob, but I wanted to make sure after Roebling I could pick up a new track well (did I mention I hate roebling) and barber certainly made me feel better.

I know Reece wont be at NASA next month, and due to Ed's circumstances (which I think is from NASA) he wont be either and since we all run TTU I'm hoping to get a win at some point, though the silver mustang (in red group) that was there is a rival and friend of mine too and he ran 1:40.2 so I have some work to do between now and then. And then there is the 997 GT3 CUP CAR, on full slicks that gets to run TTU , hope he doesnt make it. It's hard to compete at 3580 (with me in car) vs 3400 (mustang) 3200,3150 (Ed, Reece) and 2900 (cup car). Next year I'm going for TTS and toning it down or full TTU and full blast. Reece is going to be unstopable with those 454's in TTU so I just have to hope he doesnt show up.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-17-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had never been to the track before and I really enjoyed it! I was driving the red 95 camaro (with oil injection). My g/f said she timed me around 1:43 but I am not sure I ran that fast. Attached is a video of a 1:46 with a small bit of traffic. I'm sure there is a bit more time to be had with some work on the line and some better tires. I noticed in Fred's video he takes a tighter line in 14 than I did, I also did not like running over the concrete in the corkscrew, as it seemed to upset my car.

http://timz06.com/movies/barber1.wmv

Tim
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

my first trip to barber is with nasa next month. you guys will have to show me the way around... watching the vids helps ,but chasing someone is much better...
Johnny
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
I had never been to the track before and I really enjoyed it! I was driving the red 95 camaro (with oil injection). My g/f said she timed me around 1:43 but I am not sure I ran that fast. Attached is a video of a 1:46 with a small bit of traffic. I'm sure there is a bit more time to be had with some work on the line and some better tires. I noticed in Fred's video he takes a tighter line in 14 than I did, I also did not like running over the concrete in the corkscrew, as it seemed to upset my car.

http://timz06.com/movies/barber1.wmv

Tim
You did a solid 1:43 on a few laps - it was easy to mark your progress on by the smoke signals...

A buddy of mine in a Viper was running 1:41s there on his first trip. He was doing great.

I think I was running 2:10's maybe 2:11s....

The kink was giving me trouble in the ZO6 but I was able to hammer through in the 911 - the balance difference was noticable there. It felt real "light" when I went through without a brake tap - probably due to my lack of aggression...

It was amazing the difference in brake points and modulation difference in the 911 vs the ZO6. The ZO6 was faster - but the track really seems to like the 911 chassis.

I think the tunnel now has my attention....

It was great to meet a few folks - Fred we are going to have to run at some other tracks together!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
my first trip to barber is with nasa next month. you guys will have to show me the way around... watching the vids helps ,but chasing someone is much better...
Johnny
Good luck Johnny, I don't think you will have a problem adapting and being stupid fast.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I had never been to the track before and I really enjoyed it! I was driving the red 95 camaro (with oil injection)... I noticed in Fred's video he takes a tighter line in 14 than I did, I also did not like running over the concrete in the corkscrew, as it seemed to upset my car.
Ah, yes, the Q-smokescreen-enabled Red Camaro! A couple times I was coming up behind you and almost had to let up to see where I was going. That was crazy!

There are about a million different ways to do 14, IMHO. I used to use the safe, "DE line" whereby you let the car drift out straight to brake, then turn back hard to the right. I've gotten to prefer letting off the gas to let the nose bite while doing a little bit of trailbraking. To me it seems to shave quite a bit of distance and time off the lap. You can almost duck under someone doing the DE line w/o them even knowing...

Originally Posted by varkwso
The kink was giving me trouble in the ZO6 but I was able to hammer through in the 911 - the balance difference was noticable there. It felt real "light" when I went through without a brake tap - probably due to my lack of aggression...
I think that's where the more pronounced 'S' may help you out. It tends to set the car nicely for initial turn in, plus does an especially nice job of loading the left side and making it bite for exit. Doesn't feel as much like you're going to just drift straight into the grass.

It was great to meet a few folks - Fred we are going to have to run at some other tracks together!
Absolutely! It was great to see you again, Jeff-- had been a long time. Wish we had more time to visit, but that 3-group-only format while driving one and instructing another makes for a busy day. Hope your door isn't damaged too badly and that you can get it fixed up w/o difficulty. I'll be at Road Atlanta next weekend, then back at Barber for NASA in October. Let me know if you'll be at either of those.

FT
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Ah.....Absolutely! It was great to see you again, Jeff-- had been a long time. Wish we had more time to visit, but that 3-group-only format while driving one and instructing another makes for a busy day. Hope your door isn't damaged too badly and that you can get it fixed up w/o difficulty. I'll be at Road Atlanta next weekend, then back at Barber for NASA in October. Let me know if you'll be at either of those.

FT
I will be at NASA in October - I have not pulled it off the trailer yet - that work thing you know. I may take it straight to a body shop to get the top door piece bonded back on...

I am more concerned with checking the suspension - the tires and wheels took most of the shock...

I hope to get a chance to talk to you about brake points. I tried several - I pretty much ran your video line and shift points....
Old 09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry about the smokescreen, the intake was sucking in oil through the PCV....I felt bad about it, whenever someone was behind me that I thought I could not pull away from, I would just let them by...

Ok, it was really my secret weapon to keep from being passed!

I don't know if that tight line will work on the smoke screen-maro, it has plenty of front end bite, but not much rear--I was trying to brake in a straight line. I will give it a try next time around.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Ok, it was really my secret weapon to keep from being passed!

I don't know if that tight line will work on the smoke screen-maro, it has plenty of front end bite, but not much rear--I was trying to brake in a straight line. I will give it a try next time around.
Like I said, there are about a million ways to get through there, so just experiment and see what's comfortable. You can try a compromise somewhere between what I was doing and the DE line.

FT
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

I think the tunnel now has my attention....
I screwed up at the "cork screw" my first day there. So it has my attention. Forgot where I was, did my turn in and then the ground disappeared No damage, just some teeth rattling.

Looks like I missed all the fun. Good driving tips here....I'll have to re-read before Barber rolls around again. Did the family thing and took the kids to the county fair last weekend.

Jeff, I'll run with Fred at RA next weekend in your place...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

I will be at NASA in October...

I hope to get a chance to talk to you about brake points. I tried several - I pretty much ran your video line and shift points....
Great! Look forward to seeing you again then. As for brake points, you could probably find better to talk to than I, but I'll be glad to tell you what I know. David Leonard is The Man at Barber, as far as I'm concerned, so you'll probably wanna talk to him, too.

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Jeff, I'll run with Fred at RA next weekend in your place...
Sounds good, buddy! Which group are you gonna be in? I'm signed up for instructing, so hopefully that'll mean we're in the same group (or can be). After the Friday "bonus" session, I should be well familiarized w/ that awesome track!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Sounds good, buddy! Which group are you gonna be in? I'm signed up for instructing, so hopefully that'll mean we're in the same group (or can be). After the Friday "bonus" session, I should be well familiarized w/ that awesome track!
Group A on Sat. and Sun. Couldn't get in on Friday since my first time running with this BMW club. Kuhunas aren't big enough for instructing yet... I'll come look for your red beast on Friday and see if I can get a spot nearby...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=fhturner;1561954347]Great! Look forward to seeing you again then. As for brake points, you could probably find better to talk to than I, but I'll be glad to tell you what I know. David Leonard is The Man at Barber, as far as I'm concerned, so you'll probably wanna talk to him, too.

Hhmmmm... David waits until he sees the Face of GOD...

then he counts to three, before braking !!!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
[.....David Leonard is The Man at Barber, as far as I'm concerned, so you'll probably wanna talk to him, too.

Hhmmmm... David waits until he sees the Face of GOD...

then he counts to three, before braking !!!
I saw David do it - he has the skills to really make Barber look easy...his tips are great - but I guess I need to work up to that courage level there!

Wayne - you do not do too badly there yourself

Get notified of new replies

To So how you guys do at barber.

Quick Reply: So how you guys do at barber.