Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery box for car trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Battery box for car trailer

I just picked up a winch for my car trailer and I want to install a battery box to hold a deep-cycle battery. But it has to be big enough to hold the solenoid for the winch (2"x3"x3"), the connector for the winch operating cable and a power outlet for my 12v air pump or a 12v drop light. It's going to fit on the front frame rail or tongue, just havent figured out the final position.

Anyone ever built a box from light steel or aluminum plate stock or would it be easier to buy something like a marine battery box that's big enough to hold everything?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

You might consider this setup, the box is molded hvy plastic. Got it at Tractor supply for about $90.00. The winch battery is inside in a plastic batterybox I got from Walmart. all of the winch components are in it and the winch remote plugs into the side of it. Plus you can carry all of you trailering supplies and extras. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 09-17-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
You might consider this setup, the box is molded hvy plastic. Got it at Tractor supply for about $90.00. The winch battery is inside in a plastic batterybox I got from Walmart. all of the winch components are in it and the winch remote plugs into the side of it. Plus you can carry all of you trailering supplies and extras. JD
Nice setup, how do you keep the battery charged? I imagine some kind of trickle charger connected to the trailer wiring when in tow?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Nice setup, how do you keep the battery charged? I imagine some kind of trickle charger connected to the trailer wiring when in tow?
I just charge it before each trip and that works fine. I also have a small solar panel to charge it in the pits if I need it. but I have never used it. It only operates the winch. I was told if you try to hook it to the car you have to have some kind of regulator to charge the battery. JD
Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

set it up so the tow vehicle charges it. I have a small breakaway battery and it is charged by the tow vehicle. Small solar chargers work good for to maintain it when you leave it for a few weeks,

Get notified of new replies

To Battery box for car trailer

Quick Reply: Battery box for car trailer