Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For guys with BBK...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For guys with BBK...

I posted this on the Z06 section, but didn't get enough responses.

How do you like the upgrade? Did you use Stoptech? RB? AP Racing??

How long are the pads lasting?
Do they make a street pad also ??

Thanks for any info. It looks like I may be heading down this road.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need cooling ducts no matter what brake package you choose if you are running at the track. LGM has Stoptech and DRM has the AP. Both great systems. How long any brake setup last is dependent on the driver and car. What ever you get make sure the whells clear it.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
You need cooling ducts no matter what brake package you choose if you are running at the track. LGM has Stoptech and DRM has the AP. Both great systems. How long any brake setup last is dependent on the driver and car. What ever you get make sure the whells clear it.
I have StopTech and I agree with John

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something that also needs to be consider with a BBK is the Master Cylinder size. The stock MC ize may not be enough.
DRM does make a larger MC for corvettes.

When you consider a BBK IMO dont just look at the name. BBK manufactures make many different kits or models. Yes they will fit but may not work as good as you hope.

Talk to ppl at LG or DRM.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed 2 Wilwood kits (narrow caliper SL6 not the standard body that LG sells) and 3 StopTech kits. All of the kits are 14" and what has stood out to me is that the StopTech rotors seem to last longer and the Wilwood H compound pads seem to last longer.

We run multiple events at Road America and I have not cracked a StopTech rotor yet this year. They look pretty stressed cracked but they are still usable. So far we have a whole season (about 9 weekends per kit) We are using the Hawk DTC-70 pads on the StopTech kits (one ST-60 and 2 ST-40) so far the best we have gotten out of a set of pads is 3 track days, worst being 2. The stopping power is fantastic but the life isn't like the Wilwoods. We are going to try out some Pagid pads to see if we can get better life out of the pads but we won't know how that works out until the middle of October. Also with the StopTech kit I can confirm that you don't have to change master cyliners

With the Wilwood set-up we did end up going with the DRM master cylinder, because when the pads got to about 1/2 worn it felt like the pedal was down too far. The rotors have held up o.k. we have 9 weekends out of that car but had to swap out rotors once, I see no problem ending the season (two more events) with that set, so changing once in a year isn't bad. The pads seem to last about twice as long as the DTC-70's (4 to 6 track days).

Otherwise you can get street pads for both kits, Wilwood has smart pads and the StopTechs come with street pads, race pads are extra.
Rotor pricing seems to be about the same both are around $250 per rotor ring. Pads are cheaper for Wilwood (around $200 for H-compound) the StopTech pads are cheaper for the ST-40 kit (around $240 for Hawk DTC-70 for the ST-40 and closer to $300 for the ST-60)

All in all the kits seam to work well, but if I had to choose I would look at the StopTechs more than the Wilwoods.
Sorry I don't have much experiance with the AP set-up talk to Randy at DRM for details on that kit.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I would like to add one thing, specifically for StopTech's. StopTech's web site lists a number of pads on their web site. However, they do not list all of them. For instance, CarboTech makes pads (street and track) for the StopTech ST60 and ST40 calipers even though these aren't on the StopTech web site.

I realize the above info isn't specifically what you asked, but don't get the impression that the only pads available for StopTech's are those on their web site.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM
American Power
Pro

Thanks for the feedback. My buddy runs AP brakes and said go Stoptech with PFC01 all around.

Anyone use these pads?
I can get a Brembo set up for nearly the same price. But I don't think there will be any noticable difference to me.

I'm leaning toward a Stoptech set up on all 4's.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Personally I think that PFC pads are overpriced, yes they do work well and they have some of the highest tempature ranges but I think that other pads have caught up to them at a better price. Also the Hawk DTC-70's and PFC 01's lasted about the same time on the ST-60 kit I installed and the driver liked the Hawks better. That's one guys opinion, I guess I would try a couple of pads out and see which ones work best for you.

Personally I have tried Wilwood A, H, PFC 01, Hawk DTC-70, and DTC-60.
I would still like to try out some of the Pagid pads, CarboTech and some of the new Cobalts that LG is running. All of these pads are ceramic basied and I would like to see what they feel like.

Based solely on feel and confidence I liked the PFC 01 and DTC-70's the best and the DTC-70's are about $50 to $75 per set cheaper.

Just my $.02
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM
American Power
Pro

thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are just a couple happy guys with our AP package. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1808200
We went three days, in 100+ degree without a pad, rotor, or fluid change. We were working on the chassis and other things and the pedal just didn't get bad. Just a little over 515 to the wheels in a 3000+ pound car.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

PFC 01's here. (stock rotors & calipers) After running PFC Z's on the street and a few track days, I thought I was happy. The 01's were even better! Teamed up with some good Brake Fluid, no fade and constant peddle all weekend.

If the other brands are a bit less $$$$$ and work as well, I'd go for it. Just remember as stated; COOLING is the key
Old 09-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went in a little different direction. I did the new Baer S6 Monoblock 6 piston calibers with 2 piece 14" rotors front and rear (smooth face, no holes no slots.) Added the DRM master cylinder (this piece is a must) with the adjustable proportioning valve to get pedal feel and the brake bais dailed in.

Now I can run the same pads front and rear. I rotate the pads from front to back after each track day. I also do the same with the rotors. This allows me get a little more life out of my pads and a lot more life out of my rotors.

Dave
Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I have the LG Wilwood kit that lets you use the stock rotors. I only have the front kit as there is no kit available that lets you use the stock rear rotors. The kit also uses the thicker Wilwood pad (7420) which means I can get about 8 to 10 track days on a set of H pads ($200). I go through rotors every 3 to 4 track days but since the NAPA rotors cost so little it isn't a problem. Changing a rotor with the Wilwood kit is so easy the hardest part of the job is jacking the car.

Master cylinder size does not seem to be an issue with just the front kit as the pedal is the same height throughout the life of the pads.

On the street I was using the E pads but they are more of a street/track pad and are very dusty. Now I use the Q pads which work great on the street and do not dust.

Bill
Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have the LG Wilwood kit that lets you use the stock rotors. I only have the front kit as there is no kit available that lets you use the stock rear rotors. The kit also uses the thicker Wilwood pad (7420) which means I can get about 8 to 10 track days on a set of H pads ($200). I go through rotors every 3 to 4 track days but since the NAPA rotors cost so little it isn't a problem. Changing a rotor with the Wilwood kit is so easy the hardest part of the job is jacking the car.

Master cylinder size does not seem to be an issue with just the front kit as the pedal is the same height throughout the life of the pads.

On the street I was using the E pads but they are more of a street/track pad and are very dusty. Now I use the Q pads which work great on the street and do not dust.

Bill

This is the kit I plan on going with. Sounds like a great upgrade for the money.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's different about the LG SL6R brackets and the brackets sold by Wilwood themselves? The Wilwood brackets allow for a 13" rotor so should work fine with the stock rotors?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
American Power
Pro

I have on order the LG cooling ducts, I should be getting them any day. I also went for the bigger radiator.

I have an MTI front splitter and noticed it's not notched like the stock palstic one. Could this be blocking air flow to the cooling duct? Or is it getting enough from under the car? Has anyone tracked the C6Z with this front splitter?

I may need to investigate this and possibly make some modification...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I remember about the MTI front splitter the it picks up the air under the splitter to the brake ducts correct? If so that would not be my choice to get air to the brakes. I think they have an expensive fan arrangement they sell to try an correct this?

Get notified of new replies

To For guys with BBK...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For guys with BBK...