Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires: A/X vs. Road Track - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires: A/X vs. Road Track - Questions!

Howdy Folks!

It's looking like I'll have the chance to autocross at a few events coming up and also a couple of (road) track events in the next few months.

My original plan was to put some R compounds on my OEM Z06 wheels (since there's some great race rubber sized for the stock wheel fitment) - definitely don't want to run my current street setup on track (19" SP500's).

It's my understanding that A/X spec race rubber heats up quicker (designed for the much shorter courses) and is stickier with less heat vs. road track spec tires (?)

If I wanted a single setup, is it there more of a deficit one way or the other? i.e., AX tires in RR usage or RR tires in AX usage. Or is it highly advisable not to do this?

Is there a more "hybrid" race or even DOT spec super sticky tire that would be fun in both environments?

I've spent a decent amount of time on track, not much at all in the A/X scene. I'm not looking to break records or compete, but to at least be "competitive" FWIW, my preferred road track is Roebling, in case the specific track has any bearing on your input!

Thanks much in advance, really looking forward to getting the Z back where it belongs.

~DT
Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

AX tires have more grip. Lots of ppl use them for racing, not so much for track days. auto-x tires dont last as long for track days.

Now that said if your just starting out, get some auto-x tires for this fall and use them. With three or four auto-xs and a few track days, that will used them up.

The BFG KDW2 is a good street & track tire. I dont know how it would do on auto-x,
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Ask and you shall recieve.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Ecsta+V710

I have been very happy with my 710's they work well for both track and autox.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 AM
dnabro
Heel & Toe

Toyo Ra-1 Is The Choice. You Can Run On The Street But Great For The Track. Nitto 555 Are Great Too.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you're just starting out in autocross, you should probably begin with street tires. Once you have some idea of how the car handles, you can move to a race tire. Keep in mind that running race rubber in autocross will usually bump you up into classes where cars have lots of mods.

The Kumho V710 would be a good choice for a combination autocross/track day tire as would the Toyo RA-1. Hoosiers are more specific with the A-series being a specific autocross tire and the R-series being a road race tire. These should not be mixed-use tires.

A good street/track/a-x tire would be the BFG KD if they are available in the Z06 sizes you want. You can run them on the street as long as the pavement is dry as they really don't have the best wet traction. But otherwise they have excellent dry grip. Michlien Pilot Sport Cups are another good combo tire.

I would not run a race-compound tire on the street even driving to and from the track. These type of tires don't start with a lot of tread (anywhere from 4-7/32nds) thickness and some even require shaving for track use in the dry. Hit a big puddle on the street with these on the car and it's a fun ride
Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

I cross posted this into the Z06 area as well, thought I'd re-post an exchange I made there with Graham to give the posters here a better perspective of my goals, etc.

Huge thanks to everyone who has posted so far!

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Read the AX/Track Sticky in that section. Lots of good info.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=673766
Thanks, I should give that another readover.

If you're going to trailer your car or use a utility trailer to carry the wheels/tires/tools then you have more options.
We always take the X5 to track events with the extra tires, so I'm in good shape with a "drive up" tire that's separate from my "on track" tire. FWIW, the A/X events are < 6 miles away!

What tires/wheels did you run at Roebling? Why not just use them? You can learn to AX on street tires just fine. It isn't about the tires when you're learning. It's all about you and seat time.
I agree 101% about being over concerned about equipment vs. seat time. I have enjoyed tracking my car on streets as much as dedicated track tires.

FWIW, I've run Goodyear/Khumo/Hoosier R comps at all different tracks (RR, Road ATL, Sebring, CMP, etc.) as well as Toyo (though not this car) , BFG, Michelin (on CCW Classics) and the stock F1 Supercars.

My OEM Z wheels have *destroyed* F1's (as in unsafe) - my last trip to RR before the resurfacing did them in (then I removed them and replaced them with my SP500's).

My street wheels have reasonably new BFG KDW2's, but I wanted to keep those isolated from track abuse. I suppose that with the much more limited track time, they wouldn't be nearly as pummeled as an 8+ hour, 2-day track event.

I definitely wanted to do some dedicated tires on my OEM-ers for RR coming up, and just thought if there was something that might bridge the gap for A/X, it would be great timing!

~DT
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

FWIW, I have heard people who've run the Hoosier A6 (autox tire) on the track being pleasantly surprised. They are usually running a fairly heat cycled tire and aren't expecting much, but it generally seems to work OK.

I have never heard of anyone running the Hoosier R6 (track tire) in an autocross and being pleasantly surprised. Just doesn't heat up enough.

YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires: A/X vs. Road Track - Questions!

Quick Reply: Tires: A/X vs. Road Track - Questions!