Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High temp ducting for C6 Z06 brake ducts

Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High temp ducting for C6 Z06 brake ducts

A buddy of mine and forum member helped me install C6 Z06 brake extension ducts on my C5 Z06. The ducts came out great and we used 4" alum dryer hose to extend to the rotor. I am thinking about using a 2.5" high temp duct instead, so it connects to the plastic extension with a tight fit (I think that is the size of the outlet?), and so the hose doesn't rub on the inside of the rim. I also think that I may be able to run the duct closer to the spindle (I am not using spindle ducts at this time).

Where can I get some good 2.5" high temp flexible ducting (it doesn't need to be the red high temp stuff... I think the black will work for my purposes).

Thanks,

cj
Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

You definitely want to replace the aluminum dryer hose. It isn't made for the almost constant flexing brake ducts experience.

Do a yahoo search on "brake duct hose". You'll find several vendors with several diameters and types.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I just finished the same install and I used some 2 1/2" X .080 aluminum tube cut to 2 1/2" long and inserted it 1 1/4" into the C6 duct and pop rivetted it. This left me 1 1/4" to fit some 2 1/2' AERO DUCT on and it worked great. It's tough getting any tubing to fit onto the end of that C6 duct and stay there.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

search spruce aircraft supplies sceet hose

here did it http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php
Old 09-24-2007, 07:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

aircraft spruce or CDOC.com for high temp flex hoses
Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

seems like I used 2.75" hose....anyway, the better sealed the better the cooling, although It is still hard to get enough air through the bottom-fed cooling ducts to actually help rotor life.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Last C5
I just finished the same install and I used some 2 1/2" X .080 aluminum tube cut to 2 1/2" long and inserted it 1 1/4" into the C6 duct and pop rivetted it. This left me 1 1/4" to fit some 2 1/2' AERO DUCT on and it worked great. It's tough getting any tubing to fit onto the end of that C6 duct and stay there.
I like the idea of putting on the aluminum collar to attach the hose to. Where did you get the AERO DUCT from? Also, do you have any pics of the install?

Thanks,

cj
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
search spruce aircraft supplies sceet hose

here did it http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php
Thanks for the link John. Now I have to decide to either go with 2.5" or 3". The 3" would allow me to connect to spindle ducts at a later date without replacing the sceet duct. But the 2.5 would connect better to the C6 Z06 duct.

cj
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cj68
I like the idea of putting on the aluminum collar to attach the hose to. Where did you get the AERO DUCT from? Also, do you have any pics of the install?

Thanks,

cj
I will NOT apologize for the photography, it's the best I can do.

The white tape on each of the pieces show approximately where I made my cuts. After cutting the stock ducts, I switched the short end of the cut between the left and right sides of the car. You do this so that the canted tabs still fit the fender well opening properly. I used the 2 1/2" X .080 tubing for the transition to the Scat duct (red stuff) and I used the 4" X .080 tubing to facilitate reattaching the cut, rotated, and side switched factory duct. I also relocated the wheel sensor connection bracket by buying two new brackets and cutting them as shown by the white tape. A dremel tool removed the upper portion of the existing bracket. The spindle ducts are made from the same 2 1/2" tubing and some 1"X 3/16"' aluminum flat bar. It may not look Doug Rippie perfect but it works well and didn't cost me over $40.
Good luck with your project. Have fun.
Last C5
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM
cj68
Pro

I will NOT apologize for the photography, it's the best I can do.

The white tape on each of the pieces show approximately where I made my cuts. After cutting the stock ducts, I switched the short end of the cut between the left and right sides of the car. You do this so that the canted tabs still fit the fender well opening properly. I used the 2 1/2" X .080 tubing for the transition to the Scat duct (red stuff) and I used the 4" X .080 tubing to facilitate reattaching the cut, rotated, and side switched factory duct. I also relocated the wheel sensor connection bracket by buying two new brackets and cutting them as shown by the white tape. A dremel tool removed the upper portion of the existing bracket. The spindle ducts are made from the same 2 1/2" tubing and some 1"X 3/16"' aluminum flat bar. It may not look Doug Rippie perfect but it works well and didn't cost me over $40.
Good luck with your project. Have fun.
Last C5
WOW! That is nice! How did you attach the spindle duct portion to the spindle area? Can you also provide further detail on the sensor reloc... I am a little unclear about that part?

Where did you buy the alum tubing and also the SCAT duct?

That is exactly the result I want on my car.

Thanks,

cj
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Any metal you need can be purchased at www.onlinemetals.com and shipped to your door. They sell almost everything by the foot so you don't need to buy a 21' length.

If you look at your spindle you'll find two empty holes in it. Lightly polish the insides of the holes with a 3/8" drill bit and then tap them with a 7/16" X 14 tap. It's just cast aluminum so tapping it is easy. A couple of 7/16" X 1" X 14 stainless bolts with lock washers then will hold the 1" X 3/16" flat bar to the spindle. The top of the flat bar bent at about an 80 degree angle to hold the spindle duct tubing which can be welded, pop rivetted, or bolted to the flat bar. The top bolt is used to hold on the modified bracket for the wheel sensor connection. (you cut off the old bracket right along the hub without removing the lower portion) Get your wheel and rotor off and you'll see what I mean.

Scat tubing is readily available from a lot of places. Try www.aerocraftparts.com for one. They sell it by the foot. You'll need about 4' ( 2' to screw up and 2' to use ) Actually that stuff won't last forever so you might as well get a little extra for future replacement. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:13 PM
cj68
Pro

Any metal you need can be purchased at www.onlinemetals.com and shipped to your door. They sell almost everything by the foot so you don't need to buy a 21' length.

If you look at your spindle you'll find two empty holes in it. Lightly polish the insides of the holes with a 3/8" drill bit and then tap them with a 7/16" X 14 tap. It's just cast aluminum so tapping it is easy. A couple of 7/16" X 1" X 14 stainless bolts with lock washers then will hold the 1" X 3/16" flat bar to the spindle. The top of the flat bar bent at about an 80 degree angle to hold the spindle duct tubing which can be welded, pop rivetted, or bolted to the flat bar. The top bolt is used to hold on the modified bracket for the wheel sensor connection. (you cut off the old bracket right along the hub without removing the lower portion) Get your wheel and rotor off and you'll see what I mean.

Scat tubing is readily available from a lot of places. Try www.aerocraftparts.com for one. They sell it by the foot. You'll need about 4' ( 2' to screw up and 2' to use ) Actually that stuff won't last forever so you might as well get a little extra for future replacement. Hope this helps.
Thanks... that is awesome... I have some more work to do.

cj
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were advantages/disadvantages of using the C6 Z06 ducting vs the Rippie ducts? I am looking to install this in the very near future. Very nice job.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drbenne
What were advantages/disadvantages of using the C6 Z06 ducting vs the Rippie ducts? I am looking to install this in the very near future. Very nice job.
The C6 ducts were $8.00 each, I didn't have to cut up the inner fender well, and I'm cheap.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM
CTKperformance
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bsrproducts.com/product_i...oducts_id=1206

Get notified of new replies

To High temp ducting for C6 Z06 brake ducts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High temp ducting for C6 Z06 brake ducts