Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Incredible Hardbar Z06 !

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
SweetSavannah
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The Incredible Hardbar Z06 !

I am now a firm believer that it is possible to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Saturday, September 22, NHIS. I'm there to instruct for SCDA. I bring my '02 Z06 , hoping to get some hours logged on the newly minted 427C5R motor.

Alas, it is not to be.

Instructor session 1 begins and about halfway through I begin to notice not-so-fragrant plumes of exhaust smoke obscuring the vision of anyone wiith the misfortune of being behind me.

I park the car and my neighbor, who is tightening his lug nuts, says, "Come here. We've got a problem!"

I think he's referring to his C4. He's not! He's pointing at the front of my car where a spreading puddle of motor oil is osmosing itself across the pavement. Oil is flowing from the oil/air separator which connects into the Blackwing intake. When the motor runs, it burns out the exhaust. When at rest, it gravity feeds into the air filter and drips onto the ground like a bad nosebleed.

I'm done for the day!

That is, until a HERO rides to the rescue.

Mr. Hoffman, who is aware of my constant reliability travails, and who has noticed my attempts to camouflage the track with acrid fumes, says ,

"Take my car."

"Thanks, Gary, but 'No' ".

"Just take it. Have some fun."

So, thanks to either Gary's generous nature, or his temporary insanity, I drive his new Z06 for two full sessions around NHIS.

Impressions:

Session1:

After a few warm-up laps I start to push a little harder. The motor has incredible range. It'll pull from 2000rpm all the way through 7000rpm and almost feels stronger the higher the revs go.

With the Penske triple adjustable shocks and double-rate coil-overs it is compliant, then increasingly responsive. The 295F/345R Hoosiers go where ever I point the car, no histrionics, no sliding tail, nothing but calm controlled movement. The car does whatever I ask it to.

We start passing cars. Quickly, easily. All kinds of cars. Porsche Carreras, Turbos, M3s, other Z06s, a 360 Ferrari Challenge. Then I see it. 200 yards ahead as I brake for Turn1. A real Corvette World Challenge car which runs in this year's series. Surely it will leave us behind. But as the laps go by, it doesn't. In fact we are beginning to gain very slowly.

I am not used to this! My confidence soars. It's almost too easy to drive! Session 1 ends. We are close behind the World Challenge car. Damn! I want to stay out here all day.

Session2:

The Challenge car has packed up, but passing others has become almost a game. Gary's car will do things I can't make mine do and I didn't think were possible. Exiting turn 10, the downhill righthander back onto the NASCAR oval, I get a point-by. Normally, I'd have to wait until I've stabilized the slide and then pass. Not now. I just turn the wheel further right and roll into the gas and I'm by in an instant. I'm finally awaking to the realization of just what a well set-up car can do. And what a joy it is to drive one.

Two other observations:

Gary's brakes (not stock): beautiful pedal control, easy modulation, but firm. Same feel on 1st stop as on 200th. Quick, but smooth initial bite. Linear pressure curve. PFC 2007 ALMS pads. Thicker than Rosie O'Donnell's rump.

Gary's Harness: a fighter pilot style unit, hugs both legs and torso up to middle of your back, almost like you're suspended in space and could drive without any seat at all. Great shoulder belts. Easy to adjust. The whole thing incredibly comfortable.

So my day, which started out on such a sour note has become one to rejoice!

Thank you Mr. Hoffman! I am indeed in your debt!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Gary's a real standup guy.
Also shows the confidence he had in your driving to lend you the car.

Originally Posted by SweetSavannah
IPFC 2007 ALMS pads. Thicker than Rosie O'Donnell's rump.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Very nice of Gary...

John...sorry we missed you Saturday. My dad and I ran Sunday, and had a great time.

Time to sell your car and buy a C6Z06...but you already know that.

Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gary has a great brake system and suspension he has derived. All first class or should I say World Class Products.

Nothing form Gary's great deed of giving you a ton of fun and the car sounds great but some of the WC cars are so lame as I watch them. The last time I watched it LG blew by those guys like the were driving a 1960 VW BUG

John you seem to have your share of problems with track cars. Hope to see you at a track next year for some fun. Always great running with you. Any word on Gary's GT-1 car

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-25-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks John, I value your opinion and I feel bummed that your car seems to have so many motor issues. It was good to get someone of your experience to test the mods to make sure I am not drinking my own bathwater. The only downside to you running it is now you know what my "weapon system" can do! BTW, you forgot the blown Callaway C6 that you displaced very easily, and the Noble that I had fun with! We do have to give credit where it is due, so thanks to Richard at LEMD for the Penske/Hyperco setup, rotors, and a million other things, Teamtech for the awesome JetPilot harness (it really is Teamtech, then everyone else), Vetteworks, Performance Friction for the awesome PFC zr33 calipers, Pfadt poly bushings, CCW for the wheels. John, just get a C6ZO6 and then we can have some fun!
That was the first time we tried the PFC 07 compound (from Mark at MSI) and I agree, it is very nice in all respects. For everyone out there, if the PFC 07 pads are available in your pad shape, by all means try a set.

Last edited by ghoffman; 09-26-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where else can you find the actually engineer testing his own Products. Good job Gary.
Gary-I need to get out your way soon.
SweetSavannah- Nice review!
Dan

Last edited by vettedan; 09-26-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is a pic of John passing the Callaway C6 via tracktimephotos.com:

I would say the camber is just about correct here in turn 3. The footprint of the tires is very flat even on the unloaded side.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

John, any updates on the health of your car? Will you be at NHIS on the 18th with your C5 or did you go buy a C6Z ?

Get notified of new replies

To The Incredible Hardbar Z06 !

Quick Reply: The Incredible Hardbar Z06 !