Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting C5 Coupe handle as good or better than a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting C5 Coupe handle as good or better than a C5Z

I want to get into HPDE and AutoX pretty seriously. I dont want to get coilovers (budget), but springs/shocks/bars...
I have factory C5Z wheels that im going to wrap in NittoRII
I know I need PS/oil cooler, what else do I need?
What brake ducts?

for mods, Im doing LT's w/ X pipe and exhaust and of course intake...
later, I will do mild heads/cam

am I going to be at a disadvantage because of the weight and the trans gearing of the Z?

thanks

I just love the removable top for long hauls

Last edited by DooSPX; 09-26-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Contact Danny Popp (raftracer) and he can set you on the right path.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

I think im just going to save and pop for the PFADT coilovers and swaybars
now, what about coolers? what do I need and were to get them?

thanks guys
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRM or LGM

You may get something a few dollars cheaper at a Jegs or the like but then when you need advice or have a problem you are left with a JEGS like PIN HEAD. They have suspension systems also and probably near 80 years racing experience added together.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-27-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

how about coolers? trans? oil? PS?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

anyone... need idea's about coolers>
Old 09-28-2007, 05:18 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil cooler is a decent idea, but if money is tight I'd put it off until you know you need it. Me, I'm doing an Accusump and I'm not planning on doing a oil cooler any time in the near future, but that plan could change quickly

Are you a manual or auto trans? Auto's need cooling almost from the start, and get racing cooler nothing less. Manual's usually aren't cooled until you reach a high level of competition and then they usually do a diff cooler.

John was figguring that you were asking about cooling the brakes, the spindle ducts are a good upgrade. They work with an extension of the stock brake ducts, the C6Z06 ducts can be cut to work. The key is the spindle ducts, a PIA to install though. Don't worry about the rears.

Pfadt's are a good choice, I hope to do his coilovers this winter!

Brake pads and good brake fluid are a must with sticky tires.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DooSPX
anyone... need idea's about coolers>
We have every cooler that you will ever need. Most of the guys and gals run a Radiator with a built in EOC. I know a couple people on this forum run our tranny and diff coolers which work great!!! Check out our website and if you have any questions please let me know.

www.dougrippie.com
Randy
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

the MN6 of the coupe gear ratio is a bit better on road courses then the MN12 of the Z06.

Start your modifications with contact patches:

1; Brake pads, brake pads and brake cooling
2: seat and harness bar and harnesses.
3: then extra set of wheels with better tires.
4. Good tune for your stock engine will help a lot.

Next
5. Coolers, PS, oil and transmission.

When you can out drive your car,
then HP modifications.

Seat time will beat HP modifications every time.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

thank you AN U EGL
were can I get nice seats for a C5 that are still comfortable to take on long road trips ?

thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

PPL tend to swap seats in and out.

Good seats, Sparco Evo, or Evo II, Cobra Suzuka, Kirkey or Ultra-Sheild.

There are a few others, but dont get anything with leather, those are only bling seats.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So things I will add to Toms post....Sway Bars, shocks and spring really help the car "handle as good or better than C5Z"s....

I have a Adcco 32mm front and a 26mm rear sway bar. I also have C6 Z06 shocks (huge debate on this forum on these). The C6Z06 shocks I am really impressed with. This setup cost me less than $600 to achieve great handling..

I also have DRM Brake cooling ducts and Quantum Motorsports spindle ducts. A light tune, intake and exhaust (not much gain from exhaust, but it sure sounds good!)

In the garage I have a tunnel plate, x-pipe and DRM stainless brake lines ready to be installed.

Mods after this will be oil cooler, trans cooler, and an Acusump system then I may touch some HP items...

Adam
Old 09-29-2007, 08:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seats and brakes make you faster just like HP. Kirkey is a great seat and easy to swap. Very comfortable bt a tad hard to get in.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 99 Coupe that I was able to make handle as well as the C5Z05s I ran with. I did a search on here and found all the components necessary to build my own oil cooler kit and install it (Search here for old posts of mine from 2 years ago) and I just added all the suspension from a 2003 Z06. Shocks and Swaybars made the biggest difference in the handling department.

Couple of other things that worked really well for me:

Hawke HT8 Pads (Now the HT10)
Russel Speed Bleeders
Russel braided lines
Brake ducts from DRM
high temp brake fluid

My brakes were always stellar and I never cracked a rotor at the track, and I'd compare those brakes to the ones on my Porsche 996TT. I'd recommend the Kirkey Intermediate roadrace seat and mount. For the money it's a great seat. Or you could check out the seats at www.CDOC.com. They've got some really nice options at a really high price, including the Recarro GT3RSR seats I now have in the Porsche.

Get a hardbar harness bar and do NOT scrimp on good harnesses. I'm replacing my Gforce harnesses with Teamtechs. They are by far the best harness I've ever strapped on, but come at a price!

Here's the rule of thumb I've been using:

Once you've done suspension and brakes, and can lap at the front of the field with street tires with TCS turned off, then think about Hoosiers or Kumhos, but NOT before you invest in personal safety. If you're gonna do a seat, think about a HANS device... And a fire extenuisher... And then maybe a fire suit/shoes/gloves/undies!

Once you're lapping at the front of the field with TCS turned off with slicks, it's time for power upgrades...

Both my sons are now starting into the world of HPDE. This is the advice I've given both of them... Hope some of it serves you well...

Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Go with a tuner local to your region. A tuner halfway across the country isn't much good when you need a bit of quick work done.

It's not tough to make a coupe keep up or beat a Z06, the issue is that a coupe equal to a z06 is almost always classed much higher than the z06. The C5 coupe and Z06 are similar animals at heart, unlike the C6 coupe vs c6 z06.

Coolers are great for HPDE, not really needed for autox.

if you ask Danny, he's not a huge proponent of coilovers, but others are. Danny's lap times on the leaf springs are hard to argue with.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I had a 99 Coupe that I was able to make handle as well as the C5Z05s I ran with. I did a search on here and found all the components necessary to build my own oil cooler kit and install it (Search here for old posts of mine from 2 years ago) and I just added all the suspension from a 2003 Z06. Shocks and Swaybars made the biggest difference in the handling department.

Couple of other things that worked really well for me:

Hawke HT8 Pads (Now the HT10)
Russel Speed Bleeders
Russel braided lines
Brake ducts from DRM
high temp brake fluid

My brakes were always stellar and I never cracked a rotor at the track, and I'd compare those brakes to the ones on my Porsche 996TT. I'd recommend the Kirkey Intermediate roadrace seat and mount. For the money it's a great seat. Or you could check out the seats at www.CDOC.com. They've got some really nice options at a really high price, including the Recarro GT3RSR seats I now have in the Porsche.

Get a hardbar harness bar and do NOT scrimp on good harnesses. I'm replacing my Gforce harnesses with Teamtechs. They are by far the best harness I've ever strapped on, but come at a price!

Here's the rule of thumb I've been using:

Once you've done suspension and brakes, and can lap at the front of the field with street tires with TCS turned off, then think about Hoosiers or Kumhos, but NOT before you invest in personal safety. If you're gonna do a seat, think about a HANS device... And a fire extenuisher... And then maybe a fire suit/shoes/gloves/undies!

Once you're lapping at the front of the field with TCS turned off with slicks, it's time for power upgrades...

Both my sons are now starting into the world of HPDE. This is the advice I've given both of them... Hope some of it serves you well...

Mike
Mike:

Not knocking any body else's advice, but what you said I think was the best advice I've read.
From what I can read from DooSPX's original post he has not even been to his first HPDE yet.
So many times people just want to jump the the HP bandwagon first thing.
I'm doing my first HPDE at Putnam Park in my 2001 ZO6 on the 17th. (Oct)
I've had all the fluids changed (trans, differential)with premium synthetic. New rotors and pads put on all corners. DOT 4 Brake fluid installed.
If I like it and want to continue doing these events my FIRST upgrade most likely will be a seat, hardbar and harness. Thanks for the heads up on not scrimping on the harness.

DooSPX:
What track are you going to?
And good luck!

DW
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

A good driver in a C5 coupe can handle better and lap faster than an average driver in a C5Z. I recommend the most important mod of all. Driver experience.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Where are you located? We have been through this many times and are always happy to help. Feel free to call if you want to discuss some options.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
DooSPX
Advanced

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Where are you located? We have been through this many times and are always happy to help. Feel free to call if you want to discuss some options.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

5 minutes from Sebring Raceway

Get notified of new replies

To Getting C5 Coupe handle as good or better than a C5Z

Quick Reply: Getting C5 Coupe handle as good or better than a C5Z