Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone school me on left foot braking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Someone school me on left foot braking.

I've never tried it but can see how it can be a major advantage. I understand the concept (although the brain wants to puch too hard with the left foot on the brake), but I need some ideas on where it's best to be used (slow turns, off camber, decreasing radius etc)

I have run Road Atlanta, Barber, Robeling , TGP. So applications at these tracks would be really helpful.

My car is turbo as well so may probably benefit more than an NA car.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I was at Spring Mountain for my Level 2 class and this question was asked. The instructors saw no advantage to left foot braking. The comment was "it would create additional heat to the brakes and it would be very easy to unbalance the car.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have left foot braked in vehicles with automatic trans for years.
I can get on the brakes much faster.

During my first HPDE I was in an A4 C5 and using left foot braking. My instructor finally asked me if that is what I was doing. He said he'd never seen anyone do that. I could transition from gas to brakes and back on gas without "coasting".

To me it is has been 2nd nature. Now that I'm driving a stick more, I find myself using my right foot to brake more often when driving an auto car. I guess my left foot is busy looking for the clutch
Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

places where you trail brake, or brake for a very short period of time, saves you a few milliseconds moving your right foot around. I personally rarely do it, as most braking zones require shifts, but occasionally I find spots where I can save a bit of time keeping my right foot on/near the gas pedal.

Trouble for me is control. My right foot is trained to be my "smooth" foot (braking and accel), whereas my left foot is trained more of an off/on switch. I often find that my left foot braking isn't as smooth as I need it to be.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike David, neither of my feet are trained. Once I learn a track and am comfortable I left foot brake every where I don't need to shift in the turn. Contrary to what was said at Spring Mtn. I think my car transitions smoother with left foot braking, and I encourage my advanced students to try it. I suggest they practice on the back roads off the track to educate their left foot before they try it on track. A lot of the comfort level has to do with which foot is dominant.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Put the heel of your left foot on the floor just in front of the brake pedal, and use the heel as a pivot point. That will allow you to modulate the pedal pressure smoothly, and eliminate the stabbing effect.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've used it very little in my vette. But, it's easier if you've done some karting. It helps you keep the suspension loaded.
The first time I left footed in my vette everything ended up in the floorboard -- not too smooth.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Every turn where I don't shift. It lets you transition weight much smoother. Learn in an automatic (how I always drive one) on the street - right foot gas, left foot brake. Besides learning to modulate the pedal that way, your time from reacting to applying the brakes will go down...ala rush hour traffic or deer.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
I've used it very little in my vette. But, it's easier if you've done some karting. It helps you keep the suspension loaded.
The first time I left footed in my vette everything ended up in the floorboard -- not too smooth.
Karting is a left foot brake only. I don't remember too many corners where we didn't left foot brake with the right pedal smashed to the floor.

Randy
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Karting is a left foot brake only. I don't remember too many corners where we didn't left foot brake with the right pedal smashed to the floor.

Randy
Yep, it helps develope your neurosensory input/output of the left foot.
With my old kart ( 125cc Honda, TopKart - shifter), on asphalt of course, we basically stabbed the brakes, downshifted and steered it through with the throttle.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
Every turn where I don't shift. It lets you transition weight much smoother. Learn in an automatic (how I always drive one) on the street - right foot gas, left foot brake. Besides learning to modulate the pedal that way, your time from reacting to applying the brakes will go down...ala rush hour traffic or deer.
Or on a high speed straight and you want to just tap the brake peddle ( while your right foot is on the floor) to make sure you HAVE brakes before entering a hard braking zone.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

You probably do it when carting !!!

Try it on a back road... left foot braking doesn't come easy... but it is faster... and also easier to keep the car balanced.

Schumacher left-foot braked while @ Ferrari... Rubens tried it... but went back to using his right foot for braking... even though Rubens has extensive carting experience.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its easy, just watch this noobie do it in an Audi HPDE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyVHj3sHVHQ
I left foot brake in crners that do not require a downshift.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
johnei
Racer

I thought it was more for fwd cars. Although I can see how it would shorten the time you spend between pedals. In fact, I've read somewhere that Mercedes was employing a system that would ready the brakes if you suddenly lifted off the throttle, mainly as a safety feature on the road.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by johnei
I thought it was more for fwd cars. Although I can see how it would shorten the time you spend between pedals. In fact, I've read somewhere that Mercedes was employing a system that would ready the brakes if you suddenly lifted off the throttle, mainly as a safety feature on the road.
They also have 'brake assist' where the cars computer will apply the brakes if you get too close to another car or apply the brakes if your not stopping soon enough. SO much for Richard Petty Bump drafting
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by johnei
When I autocrossed my SVT Contour, I would left foot brake to rotate the car in tight corners. Since doing HPDE's in my 96 I haven't tried, I haven't gotten to the limit in the car and typically if I need to rotate I just hit the loud pedal.

I can see where it will help you balance the car at the limit
left foot = brake = weight on the front of the car and the car will turn
right foot = gas = weight on the rear of the car and the car will go strait....hopefully
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

If you are intent on trying left-foot braking, practice on the street until you can do it smoothly without thinking about it or your feet getting confused about where they are... It would suck on the track if you stood on the brake, only to realize it was actually the clutch pedal... think fast!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Someone school me on left foot braking.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FWD cars are crazy. I use the left foot brake to control the slide on my icerace car. Then on corner exit straighten out the wheel and get on the gas.

Randy
Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
FWD cars are crazy. I use the left foot brake to control the slide on my icerace car. Then on corner exit straighten out the wheel and get on the gas.

Randy
Did you ever get a picture of that beast with the wing on the front? You should really share that!
I'll have to come up again and this year I'll pick a weekend that you will be racing that thing. They sell beer at those right?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Left foot braking is very usefull with a dog ring transmission. Since with a dog ring trans like Jerico, Tex, Hewland, etc, you don't use the clutch for shifting, you can find some advantage with left foot braking. I use it with my GT1 car but not with the ZO6, my feet get confused.

Quick Reply: Someone school me on left foot braking.