Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why rotors only crack on the outside??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why rotors only crack on the outside??

all of the 20 or so brake rotors that ive cracked only crack on the out side any ideas why??
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the outside of the rotor cools more rapidly when you come off track. Its exposed to the cool ambient air, while the inside of the rotor has engine heat/ no convection of ambient air.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i shouldn't put a fan in the brake ducts, i should instead put a hair dryer on the outside rotor face? ;-) ;-)
Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think outside gets hotter. Also the conical shape may create more stress on the outside.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
WHT
Drifting

Cracks are created as a result of the thermal and mechanical forces applied to the rotor and the rotors attempt to remain at its lowest surface energy state. A free surface interface (air-rotor) has less ability to support internal stress (force per unit area) or shear applied to the surface than does the interior mass.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
so i shouldn't put a fan in the brake ducts, i should instead put a hair dryer on the outside rotor face? ;-) ;-)
best thing to do is drive around the paddock/service roads when you come off track.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
Cracks are created as a result of the thermal and mechanical forces applied to the rotor and the rotors attempt to remain at its lowest surface energy state. A free surface interface (air-rotor) has less ability to support internal stress (force per unit area) or shear applied to the surface than does the interior mass.

DING DING DING !!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!

Exactly right, what is happening is the outer surface is attached to the hub area and that is (relatively) cool. The area above that is really hot, so it yields in compression at high temp (the inner part is holding in the hot surface, and since it is cooler it is stronger). When the disk cools, the outer area has shrunk, so now it goes into tension, and eventually cracks. Sincer there is no material to "fight" against on the inside, the inner surface doesn't yield in compression (as much) and you don't have the cyclic thermal stress. Big buck 2 piece rotors don't crack as easily since they get let the disk grow an each side equally by letting it slide outward on the pins....
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
DING DING DING !!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!

Exactly right, what is happening is the outer surface is attached to the hub area and that is (relatively) cool. The area above that is really hot, so it yields in compression at high temp (the inner part is holding in the hot surface, and since it is cooler it is stronger). When the disk cools, the outer area has shrunk, so now it goes into tension, and eventually cracks. Sincer there is no material to "fight" against on the inside, the inner surface doesn't yield in compression (as much) and you don't have the cyclic thermal stress. Big buck 2 piece rotors don't crack as easily since they get let the disk grow an each side equally by letting it slide outward on the pins....
cool// (excuse the pun) never really thought of that , thanks for the translation,,, for i am a simple man!!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

how about the problem I noticed.
The cooling ducts are (sometimes) pointed at the inside face.
Since I realized this, I changed my ducts to point to the inner center hub so the veins can pull in the fresh air. Since I did this, I havn't cracked 1 rotor. I now have no direct air pointing at the inner face.

I also noticed some pads are just prone to crack rotors.
XP12's are very gentle on rotors, where as PF01's are more agressive on rotors.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

One thing I saw someone doing while I was at VIR. He had heavy cardboard box material cutout in a large circle. He leaned them against the front wheels in the pit area in the front only. I asked and he said it cut down on the cool air hitting the outside face.

I tried it on my last set of rotors and they lasted a bit longer. Hard to tell if that helps or I simply wasn't as rough on the rotors, different air temps, etc... Then again those rotors were used at CMP and that is more abusive than VIR. They haven't cracked yet. Blank NAPAs.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

some of the guys i run with are testing a new system that combines a fan for non ducted cars that blowes air into the center of the hat, and is controled buy a temperature switch mounted to a plate on the spindle, the proposed name ... brake wind!

the point is the fan will run after you pull in the pits and cool the rotor evenly,,,
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The inside of the rotor will also crack. A couple of seasons ago one of my rear rotors cracked all the way through. The crack was big enough that you could see through it.

Bill
Old 10-02-2007, 01:21 AM
kelp
Drifting

Originally Posted by larryfs
how about the problem I noticed.
The cooling ducts are (sometimes) pointed at the inside face.
Since I realized this, I changed my ducts to point to the inner center hub so the veins can pull in the fresh air. Since I did this, I havn't cracked 1 rotor. I now have no direct air pointing at the inner face.
I have my brakes set up the same way for that reason. Note the peak effeciency decreases 10-15%, due to the vein construction. However, the heat is distributed more evenly over the rotor face. thus that is the likely explanation for your rotor longevity, and mine.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
some of the guys i run with are testing a new system that combines a fan for non ducted cars that blowes air into the center of the hat, and is controled buy a temperature switch mounted to a plate on the spindle, the proposed name ... brake wind!

the point is the fan will run after you pull in the pits and cool the rotor evenly,,,
I have that on my radiator fan. If car is over temp the fans will come on after I park it.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I had air blow back into my plastic duct and it collapsed from the heat
Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I have that on my radiator fan. If car is over temp the fans will come on after I park it.
I have this on my RX7, too, but it doesn't help much without the water pump pumping...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The outside spins faster than the inside? Quicker temp exchange?

Get notified of new replies

To why rotors only crack on the outside??

Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I have this on my RX7, too, but it doesn't help much without the water pump pumping...
still blows air around motor
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Take a look at the rotor from the top - besides things already mentioned, the outer face is thinner than the inner face...designed to fail where you can see it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The inside of the rotor will also crack. A couple of seasons ago one of my rear rotors cracked all the way through. The crack was big enough that you could see through it.

Bill

Cracks form at the surface first. However, cracks continue to propagate as long as there is sufficient energy to overcome the material's resistance to crack growth. So, the rotor can eventually become "cracked all the way through" as you observed.

Bill 2

Quick Reply: why rotors only crack on the outside??