Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm trying to figure out what this noise is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Bluegrass glass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm trying to figure out what this noise is?

I auto-x a 97. The left side wheels (front and back) have started making a sound that resembles grinding. The rear makes a chirping sound when accelerating or taking a turn. I'm thinking that it's wheel bearings but it seems questionable how likely is it that both the front and rear start going at the same time.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I see more left side wheel bearings go than right side, mostly due to the fact that most road courses have more right hand turns than left. If the wheel bearings are the culprit you will feel play in the bearings when grabbing at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and pushing back and forth. Another bonus is that rear wheel bearings just came down in price
Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be the torque tube also
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Bluegrass glass
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I see more left side wheel bearings go than right side, mostly due to the fact that most road courses have more right hand turns than left. If the wheel bearings are the culprit you will feel play in the bearings when grabbing at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and pushing back and forth. Another bonus is that rear wheel bearings just came down in price
Thanks, I'll jack it up and give it try.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Bluegrass glass
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Is there a way to test?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
John,

With all due respect, how in the world could a one sided sound come from the torque tube? (Serious question as I didn't know)

I was there and listened to the car. It did make a grinding sound from both wheels. And it didn't go away when he pushed in the clutch or when coasting or when hitting the brakes.

Paging Mr. Popp...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was figuring noise it could travel from front to back. If you were there and heard it on one side front and rear it could be both wheel bearings. Stranger things have happen than that before. You usually hear the wheel bearings under load like a turn first.

Did you try killing the motor in a straight line and coasting? Have someone listen as you coast by.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

The grinding noise really sounds like a rear wheel bearing. If you jack it up by the rear cradle, put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel back and forth (clockwise and counterclockwise) you will probably not only hear it, but you will feel it!! I have heard some pretty nasty sounding wheel bearings.

I would really hope that it's not a driveline noise they are a PITA to find that torque tube amplifies everything and there are 3 bearings in the torque tube, the throw-out bearing/slave cylinder plus all of the bearings in the tranny. They are a real pain to pin-point that's why you always want to work from the outside in.

Best of luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Bluegrass glass
Advanced

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The grinding noise really sounds like a rear wheel bearing. If you jack it up by the rear cradle, put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel back and forth (clockwise and counterclockwise) you will probably not only hear it, but you will feel it!! I have heard some pretty nasty sounding wheel bearings.

I would really hope that it's not a driveline noise they are a PITA to find that torque tube amplifies everything and there are 3 bearings in the torque tube, the throw-out bearing/slave cylinder plus all of the bearings in the tranny. They are a real pain to pin-point that's why you always want to work from the outside in.

Best of luck.
Well damn,
I jacked the rear wheels off the ground, tugged, pulled, turned and nothing, no sound at all. Then I drove the car through the neighborhood with the door open so that I could try to pin point the sound. It makes the same sound when coasting out of gear, in gear, in gear with the clutch in or coasting with the engine off.
It sounds like the sound is close to the wheel, not in toward the transaxle. Is it possible that a wheelbearing could be gone but still not cause the wheel to be loose?

Last edited by Bluegrass glass; 10-04-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Does the car make more noise if you are turning left or right? Did you check either of the front wheel bearings? Have you done any maintenance lately? Maybe a brake caliper, or caliper bracket making contact with the rotor.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you figure this out?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would be interested in what you find too. Mine started vibrating in the carousel at Road America yesterday. It will change from smooth and quiet, to a subtle vibration and noise, by turning right and then left. The noise and vibration are present when turning right at pretty much any speed in any gear. I think I also had a little straight line vibration at speeds between 100 and 130.

I checked the right front at the track, removed the rotor to check the hub and then switched front tires left to right. No change. I'm betting on the right rear bearing and will try to find something tomorrow night.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I would be interested in what you find too. Mine started vibrating in the carousel at Road America yesterday. It will change from smooth and quiet, to a subtle vibration and noise, by turning right and then left. The noise and vibration are present when turning right at pretty much any speed in any gear. I think I also had a little straight line vibration at speeds between 100 and 130.

I checked the right front at the track, removed the rotor to check the hub and then switched front tires left to right. No change. I'm betting on the right rear bearing and will try to find something tomorrow night.
If the noise is present when turning right, then look at the LEFT side wheel bearings.

Frank GOnzalez
Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
If the noise is present when turning right, then look at the LEFT side wheel bearings.

Frank GOnzalez
BINGO!
I work on a bunch of cars that run at RA and LH wheel bearings are replaced 2 to 1 due to all the right hand turns especially the carousel. I'm thinking that Usta's is a rear, but you will definatly be able to tell which on it is. Grab at 12 and 6 and see if there is play if there is any then the wheel bearing is bad, the wheel bearing should be rock solid, no play!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I was tired last night. I meant to type LEFT.... my other left.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm trying to figure out what this noise is?

Quick Reply: I'm trying to figure out what this noise is?