Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default about brake pads

Thinking of either hawk Hp+ pads front and rear or carbotech xp10 and xp8's If I get the carbos, will they work with street tires(bf goodrich kdw's?) Also who sells them at the cheapest price? and where to purchase ate super blue fluid? Im using the valvoline syntech dot3/4 and thinking of using super blue instead.. which has the higher boiling point? thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran HP+ fronts and rears before going up to the Wilwood BBK. The HP+s worked great on the track and on the street, but they do produce a lot of dust. Not familiar with the Carbotechs, though a lot of people rave about them.

Do a web search for ATE Super Blue (google, etc.). There are dozens of places that sell the stuff. I used to buy mine from JEGS on line, but now pick it up at Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway, NJ. Shop the net, you'll find a lot of inexpensive places selling it.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I ran HP+ fronts and rears before going up to the Wilwood BBK. The HP+s worked great on the track and on the street, but they do produce a lot of dust. Not familiar with the Carbotechs, though a lot of people rave about them.

Do a web search for ATE Super Blue (google, etc.). There are dozens of places that sell the stuff. I used to buy mine from JEGS on line, but now pick it up at Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway, NJ. Shop the net, you'll find a lot of inexpensive places selling it.
thanks how many containers of super blue did you buy when fully bleeding the brakes?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could almost do it with one but ended up using two to make sure I was thorough.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mark b
Thinking of either hawk Hp+ pads front and rear or carbotech xp10 and xp8's If I get the carbos, will they work with street tires(bf goodrich kdw's?) Also who sells them at the cheapest price? and where to purchase ate super blue fluid? Im using the valvoline syntech dot3/4 and thinking of using super blue instead.. which has the higher boiling point? thanks
I run the Carbotech 10s and 8s on my 01Z on HPDE track days. The car is driven to the track so I run stickies at the near by track and Toyo T1rs if I have to go some distance to a track. I know of several other Zs that are running the 8s and 10s with various street tires. No problem.

I run the ATE also and one can will flush a system. The Blue and the Type 200 are the same stuff. The Blue stains the clutch reservoir so I stick with the Type 200 for that.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running HP+ daily driving with Michelin PS2's, but am soon going to downgrade to HPS for daily driving. The amount of dust for daily driving just isn't worth it to me any more and I can't get all the brake dust out of the front wheels any more. The pads have enough bite when cold to work on the street, and if I plan to drive hard I'll get up to 90 or so then hit the hrakes hard to get them up to temp...

Next season I'll have dedicated track wheels, tires, pads and rotors - totally seperate from what I will be running on the street. I found that trying to find a setup that will work for both daily driving and lapping days is a futile effort and more expensive in the long run than just having dedicated hardware.

For brake fluid I run MOTUL 600 and bleed a half bottle or more before/after every event...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

thanks for the replies. my car is only street driven about twice a week because Im just too tempted to drive too fast with it because it is so easy to do so and so much fun. I had my car at Watkins Glen and I know their is at least 10mph more of improvement on the straights with better braking and no fade. that is what Im looking for. And doing it in the cheapest way possible because I cant afford to track it on a regular basis, only 3 times a year. also what method do you use to clean your wheels of that thick dust? is there a spray you guys recommend for stock high polished thin spokes? thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Jedsvet
Pro

thanks for the replies. my car is only street driven about twice a week because Im just too tempted to drive too fast with it because it is so easy to do so and so much fun. I had my car at Watkins Glen and I know their is at least 10mph more of improvement on the straights with better braking and no fade. that is what Im looking for. And doing it in the cheapest way possible because I cant afford to track it on a regular basis, only 3 times a year. also what method do you use to clean your wheels of that thick dust? is there a spray you guys recommend for stock high polished thin spokes? thanks
Good question, about the wheel cleaning. that pad dust sticks like glue. any problems with the purple cleaner/degreaser or simple green? Does it affect the paint (or powder coat) on the wheels?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedsvet
Good question, about the wheel cleaning. that pad dust sticks like glue. any problems with the purple cleaner/degreaser or simple green? Does it affect the paint (or powder coat) on the wheels?
I've been using Simple Green for quite a while. It works pretty good and I haven't seen any detrimental effects from it. I have one set of CCWs and one set of motorsports and I use it on both sets.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been running the BF Goodrich KWD tires using the Carbotech XP 12 on front with the XP 10 on the rear. I have not had a braking issue with that setup. As for the dust Carbotech claims to use non corrosive materials in their pads so as not to mess up your wheels. I have not notice anything bad happening to my wheels.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbauch357
I am running HP+ daily driving with Michelin PS2's, but am soon going to downgrade to HPS for daily driving. The amount of dust for daily driving just isn't worth it to me any more and I can't get all the brake dust out of the front wheels any more. The pads have enough bite when cold to work on the street, and if I plan to drive hard I'll get up to 90 or so then hit the hrakes hard to get them up to temp...

Next season I'll have dedicated track wheels, tires, pads and rotors - totally seperate from what I will be running on the street. I found that trying to find a setup that will work for both daily driving and lapping days is a futile effort and more expensive in the long run than just having dedicated hardware.

For brake fluid I run MOTUL 600 and bleed a half bottle or more before/after every event...

....I also use the Motul RBF 600 and it performs great!

For wheels & tires my track set is the OEM painted wheels with Z51 tires but next year I will likely switch to the KDW 2's. When not on my way to an event (regular street driving) I use chrome Z06 knock-offs with the regular (non Z51) OEM tire.

I'm using Carbotech XP-16 in front and the XP-10 in the rear with the OEM solid rotors, these pads are very easy on rotors, can be street driven....but they dust ALOT!!! So these are only used during or coming & going to an event.

Besides that, OEM calipers with Z06 cooling ducts and back plates to keep the heat away from my ball joint & tie rod boots.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

where did you guys buy your carbotech pads? Cant seem to find stores that carry them
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you guys buy your carbotech pads? Cant seem to find stores that carry them
www.ctbrakes.com also mention Corvette Forum for a 10% discount.

Get notified of new replies

To about brake pads

Quick Reply: about brake pads