Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took apart rear suspension, all rear boots torn

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Took apart rear suspension, all rear boots torn

Well tonight I took the rear apart to finish up the bushing/camber kit install.

First note, cheapo Autozone Pitman Arm separator does the upper and lower ball joints like cake. You can do the upper on the car once you take the upper control arm bolts out and swing it around. Lowers take the knuckle/bearing/LCA off as one and do it on a bench.

However all my boots were torn, before I took anything apart. It looked like from the lowering of the car they were pinched all in the same area's, towards the center of the car.

I had that post about where I tore the boots on the front, again that Pitman arm separator would have done the job without tearing them.

The rears though were not my fault.

The post someone made about where to use C4 boots to replace the C5 boots was a great help but they are on national back order until the 1st of November.

How about for the rears?

The toe adjuster feelings like it had sand in it and I can't find one on Rockauto.

The ball joints seem to be fine but I need new boots, they the same as the front?

I went this far and I'm just driving it to the track, running it, and driving it home. That should be fine considering the car has never seen rain and there didn't seem to be any contamination in the balljoint.

Also my spring seat isolator on one side was crushed, the part that normally sets in the spring itself. I must have done that installing it last year.

Anyone have a spare they'd like to sell?

I promised pics but no time to do it, I give much more credit to those who have the patience to document their work. I think I'll get two pics in, before I started and after

Thanks

Not too tough of a job, bit more wrangling than the front.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out Vette Brakes website. They have replacement boots for the tie rods which I have used. I don't know about the ball joints though. Worth a look.

Quick Reply: Took apart rear suspension, all rear boots torn