Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Scrub Arrows

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM
wneils
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire Scrub Arrows

So the track old guy said the Z-51 runflats should scrub out to these arrows on the sidewalls after a run. If they don't reach them you have too much pressure.

At 27 lbs all around I am still a little short.

Any truth to this. Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by wneils
So the track old guy said the Z-51 runflats should scrub out to these arrows on the sidewalls after a run. If they don't reach them you have too much pressure.

At 27 lbs all around I am still a little short.

Any truth to this. Thanks
You could drop the pressure to 0 and get about the same rollover. Performance with run flats is not about getting max rollover but keeping all of the tread on the ground.

I don't know about the newer design runflats but my experience with the original C5 run flats was that you had to increase pressure to get the best performance out of them. I had 3 sets of those tires in 3 years and all the front tires had unusual tread wear when I autocrossed or went to Watkins Glen. The wear was offset from the center of the tire about an inch and a half toward the outside. It looked like a groove around the tire. I found that by running those tires at 35 lbs cold pressure I could reduce the amount of wear.

I am not sure what was causing the problem but I suspect it may have been due to the very stiff sidewalls of those tires. My belief was the tire tread was buckling under severe cornering forces (max rollover) and actually lifting off the ground in some places which put more force on the part that was still in touch with the ground. The higher pressure reduced the buckling, kept more tread on the ground thus reducing wear and improving cornering force.

Bill
Old 10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
wneils
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense.

Bill
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wneils
So the track old guy said the Z-51 runflats should scrub out to these arrows on the sidewalls after a run.
Perhaps you already know this, but these aren't actually "tire scrub arrows"...they point you to where the treadwear indicator bars are on the surface of the tire.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I consider those "danger zone" markers personally. With a proper track alignment, the only real way to determine pressures is by measuring tire temps. Find someone with a probe pyrometer (memory is best) to read temps for you.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by fhturner
Perhaps you already know this, but these aren't actually "tire scrub arrows"...they point you to where the treadwear indicator bars are on the surface of the tire.
That is correct. I have had guys tell me about the triangle wear markers at the track before though too, to bad it doesn't work like that.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those little triangles are just telling you where the wear bars are for judging remaining tread depth.

The shoe polish on the sidewall trick obviously doesn't work for runflats, either.

As I think David mentioned, tire temps are the way to go. And for the fellow that liked a 35psi starting pressure... when I ran the runflats they got real greasy when the temps/pressures got up... they seemed to work better with a 28/26 starting pressure for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Scrub Arrows

Quick Reply: Tire Scrub Arrows