Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardbar Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
ggasber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hardbar Coilovers

If you’re thinking about a coilover setup for your C5 or C6 you really need to look at Gary’s Penske setup. It’s not cheap but the good stuff never is. What it is, is head and shoulders above the alternatives. I opted for the triple adjustable Penskes and combined with Gary’s two stage spring package the difference in how the car handles is day and night. My car is a 2006 Z06 with CCW Corsair Wheels, Hoosier R6 tires and a Baer 6 piston Extreme S brake package (have to thank Mark Stein at MSI for the brakes and his help in sorting everything out). So far I only have three 20 minute run sessions at Thunderhill on the new setup and my Hoosiers (with 26 heat cycles) corded at the end of the third run. Even so, I was able to shave about 1.5 seconds off my previous best lap time for a 2:02 and that was with my 235 lb nephew in the passenger seat.

The combination of the “softer” helper springs and a relatively soft setting on the high speed compression “eliminated” the rough pavement on the outside entrance to turn 9 that previously upset the suspension and reduced the amount of speed I could carry into the corner. Overall, the car felt much more stable and planted – the 2:02 lap felt slower than a previous 2:03 or 2:04. With a little more tuning and a fresh set of Hoosiers I’m looking for a 1:59 lap. Thanks, Gary!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 AM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that lap time with bypass or over the top? I run an 03Z with Nitto NT-01's, race pads and that's about it for mods and I ran 2:04's w/bypass. So honestly, with all the advances of the C6Z and your mods, I'd expect more out of it. I'm considering the Pfadt coilover system. A local bud just installed it and the bars so I'm waiting to hear how he does.

Are you going to TH on 10/26? Lots of Vettes are going - er, I think it's Vettes only. Maybe we could swap ride alongs. If you're a Bay Area Cali resident, please post this on the N Cal board - I think you'd get some lively discussion.

Phil
Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They sure are nice stuff
Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
They sure are nice stuff
I had a weak moment and ordered a set for my car after reading Davids eperience.

but winter is here and i have to wait for spring to test them out.

seems like a solid product, and i hope Gary set me up properly, as i intend to test them out at the ring next year.

Rune
Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will be a great addition to your car. Keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife asked me what I wanted for Chirstmas today. It took me about 1 second to come up with an answer.... Penske Coilovers from Hardbar .

Dave
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

If she decides on that, (COOL!) she needs to give us plenty of time. They are made to order, so we need a couple of weeks. Can you imagine spending Christmas morning reading the Penske manual and dyno charts? She will think you are nuts!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gary, she knows I'm nuts. I'll have the car on jack stands with the everything removed on Christmas Eve.

I'll be calling soon.

Take care,
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Hardbar Coilovers

Quick Reply: Hardbar Coilovers