Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is spoiler necessary for track day car?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is spoiler necessary for track day car?

Does a rear and/or front spoiler add anything to the handling for the Z06? Sticking with my philosophy of only spending money of things that make my car go faster, turn quicker, stop faster, run better, etc. Just curious if I should get one. I like the C5R wing look, but then I would have to decal my car up - maybe a bit much seeing my car is a daily driver. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the stuff works, but if it works then you need a suspension to handle the down force. You could possibly do a small spoiler on the tail.

The few times I drive around the block to load the car on the trailer people think I am
Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The key is in your first sentence.

Many will slap on a large rear wing with no other adjustments. The rear wing works hand in hand with the front spoiler. You cannot add larger counts of downforce on the rear without adjusting the front. This is the very reason why the newer GM full width spoiler is the size it is. It was as large as GM felt they could give us without making any other changes to the car.

Depending on the tracks you drive and the power/weight of the car will determine the type of downforce you need.

I agree with you on spending money for performance and not looks. Depending on where your car is set up now, a wing may be overkill before taking care of more important factors like tires, alignment, brakes, suspension, etc...

It's not just adding a wing but then also knowing how many degrees of pitch as well. I bought my wing and had help from Pratt and Miller, but my car is pure race prepped. I personally think it's a bit much for a near stock Z06. If you'd like further info, PM me and I will be happy to discuss it further with you. The full width spoiler on my Z06 that GM now offers works pretty well.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Does a rear and/or front spoiler add anything to the handling for the Z06? Sticking with my philosophy of only spending money of things that make my car go faster, turn quicker, stop faster, run better, etc. Just curious if I should get one. I like the C5R wing look, but then I would have to decal my car up - maybe a bit much seeing my car is a daily driver. Thoughts?
Yes downforce should give a decrease in lap times. It is a balance between too much and not enough. The best way of finding the balance is to use a stop watch. On the street??? Why not just take it off for the daily drive?

Randy
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If your car is a DD then don't waste your money unless you want the appearance "improvement."

I'm guessing it's far from where it needs to be in other areas. If you've addressed all other areas and don't feel that you can get any faster on track with it as-is then it's time for aero.

I can also tell you that the current national champs in NASA ST1, TTS and TTA run no rear wings on their Z06's.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Good info - thanks. The reason I was thinking about it, was this one is for sale, $350 incl rear bumper and already painted TR. Seems like a cheap way to test one out, plus it is different from the Carravagios & ACIs that everyone else has.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1562251712

Not sure about Greenwoods front splitter, but I like the front spoiler on John's car. The only tracks I do are VIR, Road Atlanta, and dreaming of doing the NC Mile thing at Maxton!

Just thinking out loud.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

don't know if it does much except be a look!

My splitter needs a 10' ramp to get on a tilting trailer so the streets are not useable. THey do make smaller ones at ACP and some that go on front of you existing facia.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I can also tell you that the current national champs in NASA ST1, TTS and TTA run no rear wings on their Z06's

If they can and they choose not to, then that says it all. Seems like it may just be too much money and effort for basically an appearance mod. But it is a good deal on the spoiler though. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily driver? I would not even consider it. When you consider all the aero and suspension variables that have to be evaluated, tossed and replaced, etc, to get this to work correctly, it doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by waddisme
I can also tell you that the current national champs in NASA ST1, TTS and TTA run no rear wings on their Z06's

If they can and they choose not to, then that says it all. Seems like it may just be too much money and effort for basically an appearance mod. But it is a good deal on the spoiler though. Thanks.
not sure on those classes but proper wings and aero work.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Though the aero additions do look cool they are by no means bolt on and go.

Suspension is needed for the added downforce, more HP is needed for the addition drag.

I do believe Danny Popp did have a clear lexon 2" 45* angle rear spoiler on his ST1 NASA Championship car.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lip spoiler on the rear deck and an ACI style air dam in front do a good job of reducing some of the lift and drag, while staying streetable. I believe Raftracer has a 4-6" lip on the rear deck. I ran with a 8" tall (think nascar style) one before the wing, and it does help reduce corner entry oversteer nicely, so you can trail brake into turns a little hotter.

A real wing like a C5R or WCGT takes a real front splitter and vented hood/wheelwells to balance out.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A have 2 friends that have added wings to their C5s. Each car has serious suspension and engine upgrades so I think the wings are a help.

But the wings are mounted to the rear deck lid (one is a coupe and one is a Z06). I think if the wings were really working they would crack the lids. They need to be attached to the frame like Short-Throw shows on his car. (bad-azz Vette btw).

One friend ran his Z06 at mile-shootout. I'm surprised the wing wasn't ripped off. It has twin-turbo 427 and coilovers.

The other guy tracks his coupe but also drives it on trips. He "decaled it up" to look like the C5R. I think he took a diecast to Fast Signs so they could copy it. I call it his "tribute car" and it ticks him off. The car is very fast and handles like it is on rails.

They do get attention when driven on the street. Whenever we stop somewhere people come over with camera-phones to take pictures.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

It may move / flex on the deck and change AOA angle of attack. I have a few friends where it is in deck lid by ACP and it has been no problem as far as staying put.

ACP put a frame under my rear facia to the chassis.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wing to frame is the best way of doing it. But hell look at my wing on my stupid iceracer. My hood is a tin can but held up to 125mph. Yes it is 3 foot by 5 foot wing. Est. 600-700 pounds of downforce.

Randy
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
not sure on those classes but proper wings and aero work.
In ST1, ST2, and TTS wings are a free modification. In TTA aero is assessed a point penalty like anything else, but Ken had points to spare. No wing.

And yes DP did have a small upright lexan "lip" on the blue monster, but it's a far cry from a big airplane wing.

My point wasn't that aero is useless, simply that that's one of the last places to go if you're looking for lower lap times. Start with driver, then move to suspension, brakes, alignment, weight, maybe motor, then, when you're maxed out, add aero. In the front. Then maybe a belly pan. Then a wing

I am planning on adding aero to my car this winter once I read a LOT of books and figure out what works. On tracks with elevation I get some instability in the **** which I'd like to fix. In addition, I'm getting some rear brake lockup and if I can't fix it with brake configuration I'm thinking some downforce in the back might help...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ScaryFast

I am planning on adding aero to my car this winter once I read a LOT of books and figure out what works. On tracks with elevation I get some instability in the **** which I'd like to fix. In addition, I'm getting some rear brake lockup and if I can't fix it with brake configuration I'm thinking some downforce in the back might help...
When I talked to Kerry Hitt about aero parts, he mentioned one of the biggest aero advantages was the extractor hood, then a flat bottom and appropriate rear diffuser. Not so much what goes on the car, but under it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is spoiler necessary for track day car?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

In ST1, ST2, and TTS wings are a free modification. In TTA aero is assessed a point penalty like anything else, but Ken had points to spare. No wing.

And yes DP did have a small upright lexan "lip" on the blue monster, but it's a far cry from a big airplane wing.

My point wasn't that aero is useless, simply that that's one of the last places to go if you're looking for lower lap times. Start with driver, then move to suspension, brakes, alignment, weight, maybe motor, then, when you're maxed out, add aero. In the front. Then maybe a belly pan. Then a wing

Must be scary have rears lock-up. Have you considered going to a less aggressive brake pad? Might be the simplest and least costly fix.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When I talked to Kerry Hitt about aero parts, he mentioned one of the biggest aero advantages was the extractor hood, then a flat bottom and appropriate rear diffuser. Not so much what goes on the car, but under it.
Everything I have read about areo is to prevent air from getting under car to avoid lift. This helps to create a low pressure area so the car sticks to the road.

Definitely agree with other posters about need to find right balance between aero and other vehicle aspects.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Here you go. Low priced wind tunnel time in NC http://www.a2wt.com/
Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is a DD then don't waste your money unless you want the appearance "improvement."

I'm guessing it's far from where it needs to be in other areas. If you've addressed all other areas and don't feel that you can get any faster on track with it as-is then it's time for aero.

I can also tell you that the current national champs in NASA ST1, TTS and TTA run no rear wings on their Z06's.
I've read the rules for NASA ST1, TTS, ST2 and they are unlimited in regards to wings, splitters, gound effects, diffusers, etc. I think that it could eventually lead to unbelievable amounts of aero work on the cars and eventually would be outlawed or controlled in the rules as competitors spend tens of thousands of dollars on them. With the strict weight to power ratio rule and an unlimited aero rule it seem logical that effort would be applied to downforce and supporting handling modifications.

From Danny Popp's write up of his national win, it seems that budget and time were limiting factors regarding his application of wings and splitters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is spoiler necessary for track day car?