Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOUND: Solution to Oil Being Pulled into the Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Default FOUND: Solution to Oil Being Pulled into the Intake Manifold

Over the past year as I have done HPDE events, I have been plagued by oil being pulled into my intake manifold through the line from the valley cover and the line from the passenger-side rocker cover.

Last Spring I installed a AMW catch can in the line that leads from the valley cover to the PCV valve. With it installed I would find about 1.5 inches of oil the bottom of the can after one day of track time. I would also find that the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body would also be wet with oil, and I would consume approximately one quart of oil during the day.

After reading several forum members recommendations, I put together a package that has completely eliminated any oil from reaching my intake manifold:

1) I purchased a set of Smith Brothers restricted oil flow pushrods.

2) I purchased a second AMW catch can and plumbed it into the line from the passenger-side rocker cover to the throttle body.

The following are pictures of the twin catch can package and the inside of the two catch cans after a HPDE day at Grattan. The catch can to the front of the vehicle is attached to the rocker cover. The catch can closest to the cylinder head is attached to the PCV line.

This is a view from the driver's side of the vehicle. Note the small aluminum bracket that holds the two catch cans together and that the inlet of the catch can from the rocker cover line is higher than the outlet at the rocker cover:

The next two pictures are views from the passenger-side of the vehicle:

The final two pictures of a top-view of the catch cans; one with the tops on and the second with the tops off. Notice that the catch can from the rocker cover is COMPLETELY dry and that the can from the PCV line has a small amount of oil in it.

Problem solved.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Problem solved...AGAIN
Old 10-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have been running two catch cans as you are now for quite awhile now.

I get almost a full can after one track session in the fresh air line (valve cover to TB or air bridge if you have LS2 TB.

I am getting new engine build starting next week with the Smith Brother push rods too. I'm sure this is what is helping you a lot and hope it helps me too.

But you also have a breather filter on your oil cap and this is venting but also allowin unmetered air in.

You probably have read the threads on this over in tech.

DH
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed you have a breather on your oil fill cap. I've been trying to figure out a solution to help alleviate crankcase pressure and have tried that. Do you ever get so much oil/air condensed on that filter that it spills out over the headers?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't reccommend the breather. When I tried one it puked quite a bit of oil.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
I wouldn't reccommend the breather. When I tried one it puked quite a bit of oil.
Yep, same here. But when there's enough pressure to pop the dipstick out, I have to figure something out....
Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I've wondered why some cars do this and others do not.

My LS1 Camaro did it(with heads/cam and turbos), my LS1 powered Rx7 did it...but my Corvette does not and I drive it pretty hard.

Not a drop, stock PCV, LS6 intake, and oil cap. Has a cam, headers, etc...but no oil issues.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have no issues w/ my car... the fresh air line is dry and my catch can catches mayve 1" of oil for an HPDE weekend. My father's '04 get's about 1.5" an oil per day on track.

Seems each car is different.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

On my totally stock LS7, I change the oil when the computer tells me to. I have 17,500 miles on Royal Purple #21, no apprecaible oil consumption between changes.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
I had oil pump out of my breather before I installed the Smith Brothers pushrods. Since I installed them, as you can see in the top series of photos, everything is clean and dry.

Try the pushrods. They really help!

Get notified of new replies

To FOUND: Solution to Oil Being Pulled into the Intake Manifold

Quick Reply: FOUND: Solution to Oil Being Pulled into the Intake Manifold