Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you CF: Summit Point: shelf paper vs pea gravel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Thank you CF: Summit Point: shelf paper vs pea gravel

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions this year on paint protection at the track. I used shelf paper all over my car at Summit Point Main on Friday (4 sessions) and Saturday (only session).

There was an incident with an off I think during the 4th session on Friday and the new pea gravel was all over the track after the apex to T3 headed up hill. I found multiple holes in my self paper from this and I could hear it hit during the run. When I pealed back the paper today, I have maybe 2 hits that got to the paint and I don't think they are bad--with clay and buffing they will come out.

So for paint protection--I give a to the shelf paper. Everybody looked at me a little funny and lots of people asked about it, even at the gate. But I think I got the last laugh. FYI, next time I will go double layer on the front most part of the hood--lost of hits.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome... I use it too
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's amazing how strong and how well it works and is easy to take on and off (once you get the hang of it). I find it protects way better than tape. Tape deflects the small stuff, but the bigger rocks go right through the tape, where the contact paper seems to deflect a lot of junk.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It's amazing how strong and how well it works and is easy to take on and off (once you get the hang of it). I find it protects way better than tape. Tape deflects the small stuff, but the bigger rocks go right through the tape, where the contact paper seems to deflect a lot of junk.
The contact paper absorbs energy better--it takes energy to rip it. A few of the holes correspond to areas on the hood where the clay is removing remanents of the paper that were punched in by rocks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad it doesnt help windshields...

i've got 2 new cracks from the rocks in turn 3.

maybe a lexan windshield and some tear-offs are in order...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
cj68
Pro

I got caught in that too... we had a car in group 2 that had some troubles there and a bunch of cars had to go off line through the gravel. The car in front of me threw up a gravel shower right into my car. I wrapped my hood in carpet wrap, but at the top of the hood and on the roof I had no "protection" and got some chips. I have not stripped the wrap off yet since I am going back next weekend... hopefully it will have done some good.

I tried to use contact paper, but I couldn't get it to stick real well. Maybe I need to try a different brand.

What group did you run it?

cj
Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cj68

cj
thunder race on saturday.

the rocks were either a remnant from a previous group, or those pesky cmc boys were getting a little too happy in turn 3.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got caught in that too... we had a car in group 2 that had some troubles there and a bunch of cars had to go off line through the gravel. The car in front of me threw up a gravel shower right into my car. I wrapped my hood in carpet wrap, but at the top of the hood and on the roof I had no "protection" and got some chips. I have not stripped the wrap off yet since I am going back next weekend... hopefully it will have done some good.

I tried to use contact paper, but I couldn't get it to stick real well. Maybe I need to try a different brand.

cj
You have to rub the wax off. It may not stick to the wax in many cases. It is not as sticky when colder.

Also, when it is cold it becomes brittle. So it is not the cure-all but it does work well. I put a bra on the nose and use the shelf paper on the fender tops and the hood.

Also the clear bra spray works great on the rockers and behind the wheels.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Clear bra spray? Huh?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by wallyman424
thunder race on saturday.

the rocks were either a remnant from a previous group, or those pesky cmc boys were getting a little too happy in turn 3.
Wally... good seeeing you again this weekend (this is Chris with the silver Z06). Sorry for the confusion, I was actually asking sothpaw, since there were a few other Z06s there.

How did you finish... did you get a win?

cj
Old 10-16-2007, 12:27 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Wally... good seeeing you again this weekend (this is Chris with the silver Z06). Sorry for the confusion, I was actually asking sothpaw, since there were a few other Z06s there.

How did you finish... did you get a win?

cj
ah gotcha, and yes i got the win on sunday!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Clear bra spray? Huh?
Stuff is great. Roll on with a paint roller. Dries clear. Protects paint and peels off easy. Just like Saran wrap. 1 quart is $36.00 and will last about8 applications or 8 events.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

cj
Hi cj--I ran in group 1b on Friday and the Hyperdrive on Saturday with NASA. If I had known I would drive this well I would have just done NASA all weekend.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It's amazing how strong and how well it works and is easy to take on and off (once you get the hang of it). .
I am having trouble with some glue remanants--any tips on removing them? Bug and tar remover? Thus far I have only used hot water with car soap.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I am having trouble with some glue remanants--any tips on removing them? Bug and tar remover? Thus far I have only used hot water with car soap.
3M adhesive remover. Takes of the track turds also.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by outnumbered
3M adhesive remover. Takes of the track turds also.
I found 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover, p/n 03618. Is that what you have?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Thank you CF: Summit Point: shelf paper vs pea gravel

Quick Reply: Thank you CF: Summit Point: shelf paper vs pea gravel