Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does AH activate even when not flashing on the DIC? Dad used up rear pads in 2 days!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Does AH activate even when not flashing on the DIC? Dad used up rear pads in 2 days!

My father put on brand new oem Z06 pads in prep for the synergy fall fling at VIR-full this weekend. He runs on Kumho ecsta MXs w/ oem pads.

At the end of the last session yesterday he came in and the rears were metal/metal. He said he heard/felt nothing on the track, then when he got in the pits it started scraping.

The fronts were fine, but sure enough the rears were shot as are the rotors. We threw on a spare set of carbotech xp10s I had so he could drive home to Greensboro.

I'd heard about AH wearing out rear pads... but a brand new set on one weekend is that reasonable?

Also, he swears he wasn't using AH much.... at least not on the DIC... I can't remember, does it activate even w/o displaying?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds about right
Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use AH all the time and I've never felt it working without a DIC warning.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it will always flash on the DIC but only briefly and when it does you are likely busy with other stuff, hence it kicking on in the first place.

I would say as you drive harder it does make lots of little corrections that may not be felt inside the car, only the larger "fixes" are felt.

Having driven VIR I would say that 2 days on OEM rear pads under those conditions is about right, XP-8's or 10's would have faired better.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The 2001 cars have DRP and Rear Stability Control which does the following:
When the vehicle performs a high speed turn or curve, the EBCM will enter rear stability control mode. The vehicle speed is greater than 48 km/h (30 mph) and the vehicle lateral acceleration is greater than 0.6 g. The vehicle will exit rear stability control when the vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph) or the vehicle lateral acceleration is less than 0.4 g.

During a rear stability control event, the EBCM performs a pressure increase on the outside rear brake and a pressure hold on the inside rear brake. The driver may hear the pump motor run and may feel a vibration in the brake pedal.

This is in addition to active handling.

What you are supposed to do when AH activates is to steer the car in the direction you want to go in. This is normal skid reaction. However, just keep it in that direction and AH will do the response better than you can as it has more precise control over the car than you do since it can apply the brake to just one wheel to yaw the car the way it has to go. Don't fight it use it.

Go find a large empty parking lot and try use it to find out how it responds when you are purposely forcing it to activate.

Bill
Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

My rear pads (stock) are wasted and I skipped the last 2 sessions!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Bill, thanks for the input, is the 2002 and newer cars different or are the
2000 and older cars different, from what you list as the mode in 2001?
I run with AH on at both Sears Point and at Laguna Seca and while
front pads go 3 or 4 days, the rears last at least twice as long. That is
with Perf. Friction -x pads and stock rotors.

The key from my POV is to smooth out the inputs.
Randy
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
loudes13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As an instructor, I wouldn't move a student up to an advance group if he/she was still using stability control.

I've also seen BMW TC melt pistons tracking in the rain...
Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When the vehicle performs a high speed turn or curve, the EBCM will enter rear stability control mode. The vehicle speed is greater than 48 km/h (30 mph) and the vehicle lateral acceleration is greater than 0.6 g. The vehicle will exit rear stability control when the vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph) or the vehicle lateral acceleration is less than 0.4 g.

During a rear stability control event, the EBCM performs a pressure increase on the outside rear brake and a pressure hold on the inside rear brake. The driver may hear the pump motor run and may feel a vibration in the brake pedal.

What you are supposed to do when AH activates is to steer the car in the direction you want to go in. This is normal skid reaction. However, just keep it in that direction and AH will do the response better than you can as it has more precise control over the car than you do since it can apply the brake to just one wheel to yaw the car the way it has to go. Don't fight it use it.

Go find a large empty parking lot and try use it to find out how it responds when you are purposely forcing it to activate.

Bill
yeah my 2002 computer was saving my butt and i didn't know it until i turned it off and spun out off the track on the next session. it definitely works and it does it silently
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It works to a point... eventually you reach a level where it holds you back
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Is this active when AH and comp mode are turned off/disabled?? All 2001 including Z06?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I've noticed it working without it lighting up in the dash. I know it was working, even though I didn't see the light, because I could smell the brake dust even when I wasn't using the brakes.

I personally don't like AH at the track. In my experience, I go to correct the car and then the car goes to correct itself. I always end up correcting against the correction. It's very unnerving.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
ltborg
Drifting

a friend of mine had the same problem right before going to nationals. put on new pads and they were gone in a month or so. let me get in touch with him and ill post the response here when i get it.

Get notified of new replies

To Does AH activate even when not flashing on the DIC? Dad used up rear pads in 2 days!

Quick Reply: Does AH activate even when not flashing on the DIC? Dad used up rear pads in 2 days!