Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HPDE,seat question

Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 PM
BWATSONZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to HPDE,seat question

Just finished my first hpde at S/P this weekend and will be doing more of these as the budget allows.More than likely I'll be going out to VIR in february but need to get a few things done.The first thing on the list is the seat.With the helmet on, my head hits the roof when I sit upright.I'm thinking of getting a non power seat track and modding it to get a few inches of clearance.Has anyone done this before?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a few threads on this subject. Some advocate taking some of the padding out of the stock seat, some will say go full-on race seat, some think that's quite mad. Changing the tracks can help, and there are some really nice race seats out there that will get you the space you need.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My $0.02 just get a dedicated track seat from the get go and swap it in for events. I messed around w/ a few different combos trying to find a seat that did dual duty.

The stock seat sucks even w/ 6-pt harnesses. I always though a true racing seat would be hell on the street. So... I waited until I reached the point of getting a truck/trailer to get a real seat. To my surprise the racing seat is ultra comfortable... I wish I'd known.

I'm running an Ultrashield Pro Roadrace 17" w/ Hardbar seat rails. I can mount the seat ultra low which is great for me bing 6'4". Now my knees don't hit the wheel and I can properly heel-toe again.

I don't fit in any of the fiberglass seats... they're made for little italian men I mean I don't fit in any of those seats that fit in a Corvette. The seat I have now fits in my car and I have room to spare
Old 10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I also went with an Ultrashield this year. The only thing about it that I should have done differently was get the 10 degree layback seat Vs the 20 degree layback. I am 5'10" and with my legs positioned properly I found the seat back leans to far back for my tastes. When I sit in the seat the top of the steering wheel is at the heel of my hand Vs my wrists (about 2 inches) which means I have to get used to driving differently. If I rotate the seat forward my legs are bent so the knees are over the side of the seat which doesn't do any good so I have to raise the seat about an inch and a half which then causes the headrest to hit the headliner of my Z06 (in 2003 for some reason GM dropped the level of the headliner about an inch at the rear of the headliner).

Other than the layback problem the seat is fantastic.

So if you go with a race seat make sure you get the right layback for your body as a mistake is expensive.

Bill
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have the 20 degree layback... Bill a headliner swap is cheap and easy.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWATSONZ06
Just finished my first hpde at S/P this weekend and will be doing more of these as the budget allows.More than likely I'll be going out to VIR in february but need to get a few things done.The first thing on the list is the seat.With the helmet on, my head hits the roof when I sit upright.I'm thinking of getting a non power seat track and modding it to get a few inches of clearance.Has anyone done this before?
Hope you had a good time, was this NASA or FATT on Friday? Great weather, great track.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:32 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Where did you find the best prices on the Ultrashield Pro Roadrace 17 seats?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
BWATSONZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Hope you had a good time, was this NASA or FATT on Friday? Great weather, great track.
NASA and it was a blast.Beautiful weekend,good times
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by jdonnelly
Where did you find the best prices on the Ultrashield Pro Roadrace 17 seats?

Thanks
Jeff
http://www.racerwholesale.com/ for the seat and cover
http://www.hardbarusa.com for the rails (they're expensive but worth it)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a race seat too.

Where do you mount the belts?
I have G-Force clips and brackets. The inside bracket mounts to the seat.

Will the Ultrashield work with a 6-pt harness?
I just started looking around and many of the seats say 5-pt.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Yes... I run a 6-pt w/ mine. The lap belts mount to the seat rails and the anti-sub belts mount to the inboard front of the seat rails. When I take the seat out this week I can take some pics.

It's hard to see here, but there are 2 slots and my 6-pt works perfectly. The seat also has a slot for a 5-pt belt.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Yes... I run a 6-pt w/ mine. The lap belts mount to the seat rails and the anti-sub belts mount to the inboard front of the seat rails. When I take the seat out this week I can take some pics.
Thanks. You can email to scott@ssracing.us if you want.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
http://www.racerwholesale.com/ for the seat and cover
http://www.hardbarusa.com for the rails (they're expensive but worth it)
Sorry to say that Racer Wholesale is no longer an Ultrashield dealer.
Here is the Ph# for Ultrashield
903 894-3550
They can direct you to a dealer. Maybe even a local dealer where you could "try on" some different seats.
I like my Ultrashield on Hardbar rails but I agree w/Bill, I should have gone with the 10 degree layback.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Silverton
Pro

I'm getting ready to install a Racetech 4009WT seat in my C6 Z51 Coupe. Is there a thread (I haven't found one) that explains how to remove the OEM seats on a C6?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

A race seat would be nicer, but if you are on a budget like I am I would pull the seat out and adjust the straps on the bottom. It will give you about another 1/2" of head room. I have a FRC, which has a different head liner which gives more head room oddly. But at 6' 5" I am able to fit with no head rub because of the seat mod.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 AM
BWATSONZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solo2GS
A race seat would be nicer, but if you are on a budget like I am I would pull the seat out and adjust the straps on the bottom. It will give you about another 1/2" of head room. I have a FRC, which has a different head liner which gives more head room oddly. But at 6' 5" I am able to fit with no head rub because of the seat mod.

I planned on removing the seat this weekend to see if there is anything I can do to gain some room.If not I guess I'll have to try out some seats until I find one I'm sure I can live with.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I also went with an Ultrashield this year. The only thing about it that I should have done differently was get the 10 degree layback seat Vs the 20 degree layback. I am 5'10" and with my legs positioned properly I found the seat back leans to far back for my tastes. When I sit in the seat the top of the steering wheel is at the heel of my hand Vs my wrists (about 2 inches) which means I have to get used to driving differently. If I rotate the seat forward my legs are bent so the knees are over the side of the seat which doesn't do any good so I have to raise the seat about an inch and a half which then causes the headrest to hit the headliner of my Z06 (in 2003 for some reason GM dropped the level of the headliner about an inch at the rear of the headliner).

Other than the layback problem the seat is fantastic.

So if you go with a race seat make sure you get the right layback for your body as a mistake is expensive.

Bill
Yeah I am debating the layback on an ultrashield. Vendor says get the 20 but i drive more upright than most guys. always have. wish i could sit in one first

what did you use to mount the seat?

Get notified of new replies

To New to HPDE,seat question

Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

My wife asked me yesterday what I wanted for my b-day since she knew it would be car stuff (Happy B-day to me!!!).

I think I'll get an Ultrashield race seat. The price is better than the Sparco Evo L I was looking at.

I'm 6'2" 200lbs.

Do the seats come in widths? Is that what they mean by 15", 16", 17"?

What about reclining? 10* or 20*?
I don't like sitting straight up - but I've gotten used to laying the seat back some to get headroom so that could be the difference. Anyone know what the Evo seat is?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

upright is actually better. I was a lay back person, but after driving nascar style, you have so much more control.
and a 16" seat is fine for me, 220 lbs, 6'2"

I brought the 17" seat, and it was toooooooooooo big, so it went in the passenger side.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Would the seat be okay on long trips? (6+ hours)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to HPDE,seat question