Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are eibach springs good for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default are eibach springs good for the track?

thinking of getting them for my C5 instead of lowering on stock bolts..Ive heard stories that lowering on stock bolts effects handling in a neg way...I so much want to get rid of the wheel well 4x4 look of the bilstiens..I dont want to sacrifice any handling so I was thinking that these springs would be the way to go. Maybe someone can chime in if they have a better cheaper solution... also will changing my stock tire set up to 17x11's all around eliminate that annoying gap? someone with experience with this please respond thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 07:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your spings are leafs are the eibachs? Slam the car and it won't handle unless your get some drop spindles for 12,000 or change the pick up point of the suspension
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark b
thinking of getting them for my C5 instead of lowering on stock bolts..Ive heard stories that lowering on stock bolts effects handling in a neg way...I so much want to get rid of the wheel well 4x4 look of the bilstiens..I dont want to sacrifice any handling so I was thinking that these springs would be the way to go. Maybe someone can chime in if they have a better cheaper solution... also will changing my stock tire set up to 17x11's all around eliminate that annoying gap? someone with experience with this please respond thanks
You're probably referring to the new Koni product release in this month's Vette Mag. The release erroneously states that Koni's coupled with Eibach springs will lower your car 1 to 1.5 inches. That is probably standard language from Koni's PR department.

To my knowledge, Eibach does not make a replacement spring set for the Corvette. You can use Eibach springs on coil overs and achive a lower ride height, but the Konis shown are not coil over capable.

More to the point of your question, you can lower the car about 3/4 of an inch using stock hardware. The shocks do not set ride height (the spring does that), but they limit the suspension travel. The problem with ride and handling comes from the fact that the stock shocks are what limits the suspension travel and are relatively long. If you lower the car 3/4 inch, you use up 3/4 inch of your available travel. With the relatively soft stock springs, you can bottom out easily which is bad for ride and handling. If you use an aftermarket shortened body shock or a coil over you can lower the car and properly address the limited travel.

Some of the 'lowering' kits out there sell you hardware (bolts) to lower the car even more than the stock hardware will allow. This presents even more exaggerated bottoming out issues and can even get you into bad suspension geometry.

You can do a moderate lowering (1/2") of your car without buying anything but some shop time. Start there. If you want more from your car in terms of handling or lowering, look into some spring/shock packages that are designed to work together. Coil overs or otherwise. There are many options.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
You're probably referring to the new Koni product release in this month's Vette Mag. The release erroneously states that Koni's coupled with Eibach springs will lower your car 1 to 1.5 inches. That is probably standard language from Koni's PR department.

To my knowledge, Eibach does not make a replacement spring set for the Corvette. You can use Eibach springs on coil overs and achive a lower ride height, but the Konis shown are not coil over capable.

More to the point of your question, you can lower the car about 3/4 of an inch using stock hardware. The shocks do not set ride height (the spring does that), but they limit the suspension travel. The problem with ride and handling comes from the fact that the stock shocks are what limits the suspension travel and are relatively long. If you lower the car 3/4 inch, you use up 3/4 inch of your available travel. With the relatively soft stock springs, you can bottom out easily which is bad for ride and handling. If you use an aftermarket shortened body shock or a coil over you can lower the car and properly address the limited travel.

Some of the 'lowering' kits out there sell you hardware (bolts) to lower the car even more than the stock hardware will allow. This presents even more exaggerated bottoming out issues and can even get you into bad suspension geometry.

You can do a moderate lowering (1/2") of your car without buying anything but some shop time. Start there. If you want more from your car in terms of handling or lowering, look into some spring/shock packages that are designed to work together. Coil overs or otherwise. There are many options.

thanks for the info, I have Bilstein sports on now and Ive heard that they work fine with the car lowered. I really dont want to lower my car because I use it on track and do not want to mess up its already good handling. I just hate the wheel well gap.. its funny because some days the gap shrinks, and somedays it looks like a 4x4! Since the Bilstiens are gas charged, could the amount of gas in your car effect the way the car sits? Just curious....And will lowering my car 1/2 inch effect its handling in a negative or positive way? thanks, I go to the glen alot so you know you need great handling there
Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt

thanks for the info, I have Bilstein sports on now and Ive heard that they work fine with the car lowered. I really dont want to lower my car because I use it on track and do not want to mess up its already good handling. I just hate the wheel well gap.. its funny because some days the gap shrinks, and somedays it looks like a 4x4! Since the Bilstiens are gas charged, could the amount of gas in your car effect the way the car sits? Just curious....And will lowering my car 1/2 inch effect its handling in a negative or positive way? thanks, I go to the glen alot so you know you need great handling there
Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark b
Hope this helps.
The Bilstein sports are not much (any?) shorter than the GM shocks. With 1/2" of lowering, it should not matter. You can do that with stock shocks. A lower car handles better. The center of gravity is very important to overall grip and it will be better lower. That logic can get you in trouble at the extremes if the geometry of the suspension negates any gains in the CG. Not an issue within an inch of stock ride height. The nitrogen charge in the Bilsteins does impart a little bit of 'spring' to the suspension, that effect is the same as the factory shocks which are also gas charged. Shock builders try to minimize that effect, but the gas charge is important for damping and keeping the oil in the shocks from getting foamy.

Enjoy the Glen, but stay away from the blue Armco. It's hard on your paint

Give a call anytime to discuss car setup.

-Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To are eibach springs good for the track?

Quick Reply: are eibach springs good for the track?