Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA (S Fl) vs Chin Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NASA (S Fl) vs Chin Motorsports

Have been running with Chin in their Sebring and Homestead events (and enjoying it very much)and was considering throwing in a NASA day in between the chin events.Have about 15 track days under my belt. NASA seems to offer MUCH less track time and the price is the same ($290)---4 20-25 min sessions vs a max of 3.5 hrs for Chin. Should I skip the extra event w/ NASA or wait a full month for the CHin events? I'm okay w/ spending the $ but just wanted to know more about S Fl NASA---thanks for the input
Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have specifics on NASA-SE, but track time is track time. Get as much as possible. Experiences with different organizations can only be helpful.

BTW, I think I recognize your moniker. I met you at the first CF party in Daytona. I was running the road course event in Gainsville. Do you still have the blown C5?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Yes it's me Steve B. running a C6 z06 now. Been trying to get alot of track time, did Spring Mt 3 day course and 8-9 track days so far this year and lovin' it!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

NASA HPDEs are the start of racer training, some what. Well all HPDEs are. Chin gives you lots and lots of track time, which is good, but not the norm for Car clubs.

The other thing about NASA are the races to watch and the TTs ( HPDE 4)

So enjoy the track time and watching the races.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't do BETTER than Chin for Track Time !!!

Chin also seems to have more late-model cars.

At Barber... we had an assortment of late model Porsche's...
including the $440,000 Carrera GT,
Ferrari's 360's & 430's ( one fully caged),
and a bunch of Z06's both C-5's & C-6's.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will get more time at Chin...that said I think you would enjoy the NASA event as well, I would suggest you give it a try!

Tim
Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Steve, I run with NASA FL and have a blast....the key is that I run in the H4/TT group. It makes all the difference in the world b/c of the quality of drivers, it's open passing everywhere and no 'required' point by. It truly is the bridge between HPDE and wheel to wheel racing and I love it. And if you run in TT you get three 25min sessions and one 40min session, the most track time out of any NASA group....the only difference between H4 & TT is that in TT you need an AMB transponder (which you can rent for the weekend if needed) and classify your car so you know which track record to go after. BTW you would be in TTU. And the price for any NASA event in FL is $360 for the whole weekend....just a little cheaper than Chin. On top of all that we have contingency $$ in TT as well. We have sponsorships from Carbotech and CoolShirt. 1st and 2nd place in each class get carbodollars, which is cash towards carbotech brake pads ($50-1st, $25-2nd each day) as well as $50 for breaking a track record. A guy actually won $200 carbo-dollars this past weekend...he placed 1st each day in his class and set the track record twice! We also raffle off a complete coolshirt system each day to a lucky TT guy (each worth $400 bucks!) plus FREE BEER at the end of each day for everyone! Seriously...you can't beat it. On top of that a bunch of us get together on Sat night for dinner to talk about the days maddness and if we're at Homestead we then go to Speed Demons and tear it up on the go cart track! I was just at Sebring last weekend and I already can't wait for Homestead on Nov. 24-25th. Hope to see you there!

Here's one of my videos from a NASA Homestead weekend this past April....FYI my car was a handling nightmare in this vid...she has since been setup properly and now drives fantastic...it's amazing how bad a C5Z will handle with 56/44 crossweights and a full stiff rear swaybar. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTziiF5qPPU
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Spoke to Barbara Nix, who was very nice, and said that I probably belong in grp 3. Will have about 12 track days includ the school this year by that time. Now running Mich Cups f/ the 3rd time (and love 'em). Only a few cars pass me in Chin grp-1 and I hate being in with the students (traffic and unpredictability). I think I'll try NASA again just to get more track time. How is grp 3 in terms of passing/ driver experience? Would I fit in there?

Last edited by urslooow; 10-21-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Nice Video Spanky. What are you running in that C5? Looked really loose was it your tires or were you trying to put down the power too early? Enjoyed it. I have a red '06 z, I'd like to check your car out at the nasa event
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You will see a lot of the same guys at NASA as you do at Chin.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spankythegator
Steve, I run with NASA FL and have a blast....the key is that I run in the H4/TT group. It makes all the difference in the world b/c of the quality of drivers, it's open passing everywhere and no 'required' point by. It truly is the bridge between HPDE and wheel to wheel racing and I love it. And if you run in TT you get three 25min sessions and one 40min session, the most track time out of any NASA group....the only difference between H4 & TT is that in TT you need an AMB transponder (which you can rent for the weekend if needed) and classify your car so you know which track record to go after. BTW you would be in TTU. And the price for any NASA event in FL is $360 for the whole weekend....just a little cheaper than Chin. On top of all that we have contingency $$ in TT as well. We have sponsorships from Carbotech and CoolShirt. 1st and 2nd place in each class get carbodollars, which is cash towards carbotech brake pads ($50-1st, $25-2nd each day) as well as $50 for breaking a track record. A guy actually won $200 carbo-dollars this past weekend...he placed 1st each day in his class and set the track record twice! We also raffle off a complete coolshirt system each day to a lucky TT guy (each worth $400 bucks!) plus FREE BEER at the end of each day for everyone! Seriously...you can't beat it. On top of that a bunch of us get together on Sat night for dinner to talk about the days maddness and if we're at Homestead we then go to Speed Demons and tear it up on the go cart track! I was just at Sebring last weekend and I already can't wait for Homestead on Nov. 24-25th. Hope to see you there!

Here's one of my videos from a NASA Homestead weekend this past April....FYI my car was a handling nightmare in this vid...she has since been setup properly and now drives fantastic...it's amazing how bad a C5Z will handle with 56/44 crossweights and a full stiff rear swaybar. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTziiF5qPPU

WOW, we need something like this in Southeast TT, I will be copying and pasting this one in the southeast section. I'll be to FL NASA real soon.

But it's hard to go back to HPDE after you've done TT though.

But does H4 and TT run together? How many people end up on track together? How many cleans laps do the front guys get?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a fair range of ability in group 3 NASA. You would be at the less experienced end w/ only 12 days track time. Your car, however, is at the very capable end. You also have the advantage of familiarity w/ the track. If Barb Nix recommended you go in group 3, she is probably right. You aren't assigned an instructor in that group except maybe for a check-off ride. If you feel confident and want to really test yourself, then sign up for the group 4/TT. You will be on track with some very experienced people.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

NASA-SE puts on a good program, you will enjoy the track time, JIm, Julie and the drivers. It's not perfect and the runs can be short, but track time is always better than staying home. For me it comes down to when and where I can get track time on my schedule with guys I like to run with whether it is NASA-SE, NASA-MA, CHIN or NCM. Also took SM course, great experience. Be safe and have a great time!!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is NASA-FL - not NASA-SE.

You will see a lot of the same people at Chin and NASA events - especially in the instructor cadre...

Run with them and see how you like it.

I need to talk to Carbo about some Carbo dollars for NASA-SE...
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Originally Posted by urslooow
Nice Video Spanky. What are you running in that C5? Looked really loose was it your tires or were you trying to put down the power too early? Enjoyed it. I have a red '06 z, I'd like to check your car out at the nasa event
Glad you liked the video Steve....yeah the car was handling horrible that weekend....I had just put the T1 swaybars on as well as a set of PFADT coilovers and had not yet corner balanced the car....I was also incorrectly running my rear T1 swaybar at the full stiff setting. The car's corner balance ended up being waaaay out at 56/44% so I've since balanced the car to 50/50 cross and adjusted the rear sway to full soft....it handles great now.....in the video I'm running Kumho V710's but the handling was really whacky b/c of the setup...I encountered a lot of push upon corner entry that would then quickly transition to snap oversteer as you can see in the video....the car was really unpredictable but of course I was still having a blast trying like hell to keep up with my buddies C6Z putting down around 150 more ponies than my C5Z. I ran a best time of 1:37.01 that weekend at Homestead (even with the horrible handling) which is still the TTS track record....in Nov. I will definetly be dropping that time even lower. I'll see you in Homestead!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Originally Posted by heavychevy
WOW, we need something like this in Southeast TT, I will be copying and pasting this one in the southeast section. I'll be to FL NASA real soon.

But it's hard to go back to HPDE after you've done TT though.

But does H4 and TT run together? How many people end up on track together? How many cleans laps do the front guys get?

This is funny.....all of the contingency stuff within the NASA FL region started after some friends and I went up to Road Atlanta and experienced a NASA SE event.....it was one of the best track weekends we've ever experienced with the catered BBQ, free beer, awards show, prizes and hilarious characters that were present (Jim Pantas & spec E30 guys come to mind) ....anyways we liked it soo much that we wanted to try and replicate it for our home region in Florida and since we only run in TT and want more participants/ competition we've specified all of the contingency prizes for TT specifically. The TT program in FL is usually half the size of a typical SE event so we run H4 and TT together (same rules for us in the FL region only difference bieng TT is timed) and with a huge track like Sebring clean laps are easy. You'll definetly have to come down for a track weekend.....possibly the new track in Starke, FL in Feb???
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Judt get more seat time.
It's all about seat time

Get notified of new replies

To NASA (S Fl) vs Chin Motorsports

Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
mpowers
Advanced

Originally Posted by varkwso
This is NASA-FL - not NASA-SE.

You will see a lot of the same people at Chin and NASA events - especially in the instructor cadre...

Run with them and see how you like it.

I need to talk to Carbo about some Carbo dollars for NASA-SE...
Yes you do, I maybe joining you guys next year in a new vette.

Slow prep to another w2w car.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mpowers
Yes you do, I maybe joining you guys next year in a new vette.

Slow prep to another w2w car.
And a welcomed addition you'd be to the Bowtie Brotherhood!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Well I signed up for the Sat Nov 24 at Homestead. This will be my 5th day at Homestead (last 3 were with chin--3 hrs seat time each track day). I may also sign up for the Sunday at the track if things go well

Quick Reply: NASA (S Fl) vs Chin Motorsports